Ruger light revolver in 22 mag?

ZVP

It reads well in magazines andpaper etimates look good but my question is will it REALLY get a good stop here in the real world?
I have a 2" Chief but a small stroke has made my hand weak and I worry about one handed S/A rapid fire worries me, been considering a. Ruger LCR 22 mag
I really want a .22lr but the round isn't a stopper though 9 multiple
accurate. Hits would get results. Getting old and having medical problems is scary!!!
Is there any proof the 22 mag works?
J'd only shoot solid point Te to ensure penetration.
Please, some info to help me decide?
Dave

Last edited:
Just get the LCR in 327 and shoot 32 S&W longs out of it, or even 32 S&W shorts. The recoil is negligible and it throws a much bigger chunk of lead.

Stopping power is my worry
Short bbl rob it off and maybe I should concentrate on post-stroke stregthing thing and forget the 22 mag?
Thanks,

For a defensive handgun, I believe one should carry the largest caliber handgun that one can effectively use and easily carry daily. It's really that simple.

If a .22LR/.22Mag revolver is your limit for whatever reason, then carry it with confidence. Remember, over 90% of folks out there carry nothing or pepper spray at most.

Just get the LCR in 327 and shoot 32 S&W longs out of it, or even 32 S&W shorts. The recoil is negligible and it throws a much bigger chunk of lead.
I'm gonna second this. Somebody asked a few weeks ago about a .22 Magnum revolver and I don't find a snub .22 Mag, unless it has 8 or 9 shots, to be worth it. With the Ruger .327 LCR, you're getting 6 shots and you can choose from weak as a .22 .32 S&W Long or in between 9mm and .357 Mag power with the .327.

Plus, centerfire reliability and reloadability.

And if it's the .22 Mag LCR you're interested in, it's just not worth the money when you can get a .38 LCR or .327 LCR for the same price and you'll probably find those larger rounds to be easier to reload with than puny .22 Mag.

The LCR has a great trigger , my friends wife has severes osteoarthritis in hear wrists and hands .. My recommendation was the LCR 38spl . She practices with 148gr LWC and carryies standard pressure 38spl Hornady SD ammo ..

The LCR in 327 isnt a bad idea , you can even shoot 32acp from it (yep it works)

I have an LCR 22 mag. no way would I recommend this as a carry weapon. it has been too unreliable, has been back to ruger and came back with the same problems. I only use it for snake shot.

I have a LCR .22lr. id trade it for the LCR .32 because my daughter wants something a little more substantial but doesn't like the .38 versions recoil or 5 shot limit.

My wife carries an LCR 22WMR because that's what she can handle and is comfortable with. Hers has had no problems, and I'd much rather she carry that than nothing. One key with that gun though is that you want to carry it with ammo that's specifically designed for self defense in a short barrel handgun. Most 22WMR ammo is designed for longer barrels and won't perform much better than 22lr in the LCR (although it's fine for practice). My wife carries with Hornady Critical Defense.

I have a .22LR LCR and it's a joy to shoot. It shoots good and I plan to get another as my old age guns. When I can't stand anything with more recoil, I will carry two.

ZVP - That's a decision only you can make. You need to decide what's best for you. I usually don't get in these discussions about what's the best SD caliber or weapon. All the advice in the world won't answer the question- What can YOU handle well and put rounds on target with?.

For me it's a small caliber S/A revolver. .32 or .22, but I'm not you. A 40grn .22 caliber bullet in its intended target is much better than a 300grn .44 caliber bullet sailing off in to the next neighborhood hitting no telling what over there.

The odds of you needing a firearm in a self defense situation are very, very slim, but if you do, wouldn't you want something that you had proved to your self that you could handle well.

Maybe you're going about this from the wrong direction.
Instead of choosing less caliber, how about trying to improve the strength in the affected hand?
Just a thought.

True, but you'll have to reload that LCR to fire 9 rounds, since it only holds 6. :p

lcr 22lr holds 8, 22wmr holds 6. until a handgun round that misses its target wounds from shrapnel or concussive shock, i will choose to carry a 22 that i consistently hit with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"...Stopping power is my worry..." You can stop worrying. There's no such thing. No cartridge will stop anything in its tracks. Physics doesn't allow it. Lots of proof of that too.
Like g.willikers says, you need to get healthy and regain your strength first anyway.

When IBought my Model 36-0 the only objection I had was the stipples trigger and stock grips. $14 factory rubber grips cured the grip problem and greatly helped recoil and I plan to lightly fill the trigger grooves in https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CA...tic-Sod-Buster-Jr-3-58-inch-Closed-3137-SSith JB a Weld and smooth it up,a trick I have used before.
Now recoil can be handled 2 handed but the trigger pull is quite heavy and the
Former owner did a nice job removing he hammer spur which is needed to easier 2 hand it.
Agreed NO pistol will knock em flat and bigger bullets 9 hit harder. I was thinking of the easier handling LCR and the deep. Penetrating 22mag would give better grouping and maybe just enough edge, however it seems 9 tightly grouped 22lr may be even bettr than he bright flashing, extremely old 22mags aren't all hat much edge at all. Perhaps my model 10 4" is my best bet? Finding wheelchair/Crutch compatable holster will take some searching (a shoulder rig?).
I prefer a revolver but there are some nice small 9 mm out there!
All it takes is throwing money at itThanks guys.

www.knifecenter.com/item/CA80032/Case-Yellow-Synthetic-Sod-Buster-Jr-3-58-inch-Closed-3

Back