Ruger lcrx 327 federal magnum

The regular LCR 327 has been my EDC since they first came out. It effectively retired my LCR 38 for pocket carry. I had carried the LCR 38 (and a 442 before that) during summers when heat and humidity limited clothing and made it more difficult to comfortably conceal larger guns. I had previously settled on .38 +p because I considered it better than .380 but less punishing than .357 magnum for the size and weight.

Firing them back to back, felt recoil is negligible between the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal and most of the .38 +p I had been using in the LCR 38. Of course, those .327 Hydra-Shoks looked a lot more impressive against water jugs (etc.). It's effectively the same weight projectile as a lot of .380 but with more velocity, better sectional density on the way in, and reliable expansion. Getting that plus an extra shot really sold it for me. It did a lot to improve the "compromise" of my summer carry choice.

All of a sudden, I found myself carrying the LCR 327 whenever I wasn't wearing a jacket. Now, it's gotten close to a 3-season carry. I still carry a full-sized semi-auto in 9mm or .40 S&W during the winter and colder weather in general. I'll carry bigger guns out in the woods too. I've just gotten very comfortable with a capable compact six-shooter the rest of the time.
I carry an SP101 in 327 Federal Magnum also, but it is loaded with subsonic lead reloads. My speed strip though is your 85 grain Hydra-Shoks. I think you should consider how the report of the 327 differs from 38 Special and what you could stand without hearing protection.

I carry an SP101 in 327 Federal Magnum also, but it is loaded with subsonic lead reloads. My speed strip though is your 85 grain Hydra-Shoks. I think you should consider how the report of the 327 differs from 38 Special and what you could stand without hearing protection.
A while back, I got together with some friends to try different commercial loads in .327 versus .38 +p in the LCR 327 and LCR 38 respectively. As far as felt recoil, the 85-grain Hydrashoks in .327 Federal were indistinguishable from midweight .38 +p. The two main differences were "sound" and "effect on water jugs". The .327 made a "crack" that echoed out over the hills. The HDPE gallon and PET 3L jugs met a much more dramatic end. :D

The 100 and 115-grain loads we tried in .327 had a little more recoil in the LCR. The 100-grain American Eagles were both the hottest and most affordable. Most of us found them uncomfortable and opinion was split on the Gold Dots. Consensus favored 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in the LCR.

While maybe not as offensive as .357 magnum, the .327 is very loud and will certainly be bad for your hearing. My issue here is that any defensive ammo in a tiny CCW is going to be dangerously loud. Defending life with a firearm means taking a hit on hearing. Whether .327 around town or .357 in the woods, I wonder just how much bigger of a hit.

For something quieter, there's always .32 H&R Magnum. The two loads we tried in .32 H&R Magnum had felt recoil on par with standard-pressure .38 special. The effect on water jugs wasn't much different. You could feel a little more recoil with the .38 +p but the improvement on jugs wasn't huge. That's sort of what hooked me on .327 with the Hydra-Shoks. It had recoil down in this ballpark but consistently hit it out of the park on jug damage.

I brought home an LCR .327 today. it came with an XS tritium green dot front sight (used gun). haven't shot it yet but the trigger is a little better than my LCR .22lr. no idea how off the poa and poi will be. I don't foresee using .327s in it as I got it for my daughter.

Last edited:
I'd love one.

But the retail prices are very high ($500 +) and nobody seems to want to sell theirs.
That's because few have bought one and those that have and didn't like the ammo price/availability issues wanted to sell theirs, but the LGS looked at the caliber and said that because it's not 9mm, .38, or .357 he could only give them $250 for it and they figured they'd just keep it.

I gave up last year waiting for used .327's to show up and bought an SP101 brand new. Lost interest in the .327 after seeing how oversize Ruger makes the throats and if I ever buy another .327 revolver it will only be a used LCR/LCRx.

The good thing is that the LCR seems to be the most popular .327 revolver Ruger makes, so as time goes on there's a better chance of seeing used ones.

That's because few have bought one and those that have and didn't like the ammo price/availability issues wanted to sell theirs, but the LGS looked at the caliber and said that because it's not 9mm, .38, or .357 he could only give them $250 for it and they figured they'd just keep it.

How many instances of this do you personally know of?

I was willing to give the Charter Arms professional a fair shake but no one has one in the case. that's too bad.

How many instances of this do you personally know of?
That's how gun stores work. Unless they have a gunbroker account, they're not going to bother buying an uncommon caliber handgun because they know the ammo isn't cheap or easy to find and most people will not be interested in it and it will sit on their shelf for years unless they can buy it cheap and sell it cheap because even Ruger's that are cheap enough and are chambered in anything will sell.

Bought one for my wife & for the first time she started to like shooting. Her's is 1.87" at 17 ounces & I've tried shooting the 327 mag ammo & it's a hand burner. For SD I like the 32 S&W Hornady 80 grain flex tip I also put on CT laser grips for her. I only use the laser when I'm speed drawing. It helps me to hit the target without aiming. The 327 is a great little revolver & very accurate. She's stopped using it do to illness so I carry it or my Glock 43X. Just depends how I feel. I think the going price is around $540.

That's how gun stores work. Unless they have a gunbroker account, they're not going to bother buying an uncommon caliber handgun because they know the ammo isn't cheap or easy to find and most people will not be interested in it and it will sit on their shelf for years unless they can buy it cheap and sell it cheap because even Ruger's that are cheap enough and are chambered in anything will sell.

So you made it up.

Bought one for my wife & for the first time she started to like shooting. Her's is 1.87" at 17 ounces & I've tried shooting the 327 mag ammo & it's a hand burner. For SD I like the 32 S&W Hornady 80 grain flex tip I also put on CT laser grips for her. I only use the laser when I'm speed drawing. It helps me to hit the target without aiming. The 327 is a great little revolver & very accurate. She's stopped using it do to illness so I carry it or my Glock 43X. Just depends how I feel. I think the going price is around $540.
do you mean .32 H&R magnum?

I have the 327 and 357 LCR revolvers. I only shoot 32 Long, 32 H&R mag, and 38 special in the LCRs. the 327 magnum and 357 magnum are nowadays just too much cartridge for me in a LCR snub.

I have ignored the 32 caliber for decades. I have come to appreciate it the older I get.

Back