Ruger LCP $180 at Palmetto State Armory

DaleA

I wonder if Ruger is going to discontinue the little .380 pistol? They've had it for quite a while even after they came out with the LCP II and the LCP Max.

Maybe it's just that after so long they've paid off all the R&D and tooling costs etc. etc. and can sell the gun for just a little over what it costs to make it.

I've fired one a couple of times and it's snappy but not objectionable. It really is a 'pocket' pistol that easily fits in a regular pants pocket if you want to go that way.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/rug...ign=afternoon&utm_term=202401176&utm_content=

Hope not, they are almost an industry standard.
I have LCP'S, but usually carry a P3AT KelTec because it it is slimmer profiled.

I paid $170 for my last LCP on a sale at Dick’s Sporting Goods before they went woke prior to the pandemic.
As you said, they are the industry standard for pocket .380 pistols.
Bought my first one in 2008 for $300 at the local Academy, and it served as my primary EDC until early last year when a new LCP Max replaced it.

2008 LCP:

Attachments

• 93EEF307-28AE-46F4-9673-C63C50F9F5E0.jpeg
    93EEF307-28AE-46F4-9673-C63C50F9F5E0.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
There were minimal R&D costs, as the gun is almost a verbatim copy of the Kektec P3AT, and I'm sure Ruger recouped their tooling costs in the first year of production! Ruger runs these sales to undercut other manufacturers.

wild cat mccane ...I have bought from psa, but their deals...tend to be MAP scams.
Unlikely. Manufacturers routinely enforce MAP because it protects the small timers.
And what is a "MAP scam"?

BTW...Ruger doesn't have a MAP policy.

I really don't know how PSA hasn't run afoul of the FTC.
Huh?

Yeah, as someone noted the Ruger LCP $180 price was a one day deal.

I do not check Palmetto State Armory every day so I'm sure I've missed some really good deals too but if you spend all your time at the keyboard you don't get to do other stuff. I'm pretty sure I spend too much time online as it is.

I generally like full sized guns that soak up the recoil but the Ruger Light Compact Pistol and Ruger Light Compact Revolver, looked to be very well made firearms.

I've handled the Ruger LCP Max (about $350) and thought I'd rather have that than the plain-jane LCP but the LCP can be had at my local Fleet Farm for about $210 and that price difference is a major factor for me.

I’m personally very fond of the Gen 2 LCP coupled with the factory 7 round magazine which makes a large difference in handling with a small penalty in size.

I actually like my LCP Custom better than my Max. Shoots on point while my Max always seems to hit low.

Took 300 rounds for my Max to be reliable also, I think the reliability of the single stack LCP should be better.

And if you add the finger extension on the mag base, and a Hogue wraparound grip, the control is enhanced and the recoil is reduced substantially .

I wonder if Ruger is going to discontinue the little .380 pistol? They've had it for quite a while even after they came out with the LCP II and the LCP Max.

Maybe it's just that after so long they've paid off all the R&D and tooling costs etc. etc. and can sell the gun for just a little over what it costs to make it.

I've fired one a couple of times and it's snappy but not objectionable. It really is a 'pocket' pistol that easily fits in a regular pants pocket if you want to go that way.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/rug...ign=afternoon&utm_term=202401176&utm_content=

Before they came out with the LCP II, they deeply discounted the original LCP. And, hay look, the LCP is still here.

The LCP is the most dependable of its class. Not discounting LCP II, just have no experience other than shooting a few mags on range. I encourage their purchase to those 1st time SD buyers. They are simple to use and small enough they will be carried when the BlasterX some Hollywood hero totes is home in the drawer.

The Ruger LCP is basically the everyman's .380 ACP Pocket Pistol. They're cheap, reliable, and of good quality.

The only folks I've ever met who had anything bad to say about them were Kel-Tec Fans, polymer haters, and folks who don't like .380 ACP in general.

Of course the LCP is not going to last through thousands of rounds over time.

Not like my Colt Government .380 or old Remington Model 51…

Attachments

• 5AA92718-F951-46BA-ABF5-2E111EB4B96E.jpeg
    5AA92718-F951-46BA-ABF5-2E111EB4B96E.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 0ECCDDEC-2072-47F2-8B29-909A3445A7E4.jpeg
    0ECCDDEC-2072-47F2-8B29-909A3445A7E4.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
It's because the LCP2 is closer in thickness to the P365 than the LCP and LCP2 are.

I honestly don't see the point of the LCP 2 given the thickness.

Thankfully we both win in the current selection :D

Armybrat Of course the LCP is not going to last through thousands of rounds over time.

Not like my Colt Government .380 or old Remington Model 51…
Sarcasm?:rolleyes:
Or do you not know:
The Model 51 will crack the breech block eventually, sooner with hot loads.
The Colt Government .380 has a reputation for soft slides and barrels, eventually it will peen itself to death.

The first gun I ever bought was a Remington Model 51. I gave $75 for it at a gun show in Little Rock when I was sixteen. First year production. I no longer shoot it because I have others that are "shooter grade".

The Colt Government Model .380 also sees limited use.

When I go to blasting .380's nowadays it usually a Star SS.

Back