Ruger GP100 Match Champion (Model 1754)

SR, I think highly of the SP101. Had one for years. The trigger on mine is factory heavy, but thankfully very smooth.

My MC trigger is similar. I do much prefer the adjustable sights on the GP100, and wish my SP101 had adjustables too.....

Enjoy that SP101.

I have put many rounds through a GP100 MC. Incredible to shoot. Yes the DA pull is a little on the heavier side, but not too heavy and boy it is SMOOTH! Absolutely wonderful guns, I highly recommend getting one.

The SP101 is also a fantastic little gun, I have much experience with these as well. Trigger is not as good, SA is very crisp but its not super light, DA works fine but isnt as smooth and its on the heavy side. The gun is also a TANK for a little snubby which I think is great as 357 loads are STOUT out of them as it is. They make much lighter revolvers in 357, but I once shot a 38spl LCR and even with average target loads and the great rubber grip it comes with, ouch!

:):):)

Those with extensive experience
with the GP100 including the
Match Champion know they are
fine revolvers which perform
excellently in double action.
This includes out-of-the-box
and tuned specimens.

with the S&W K- and L-frame models
know they are fine revolvers which
perform excellently in double action.
This includes out-of-the-box and
tuned specimens.

with products from both gun makers
know sometimes lemons occur. They
also know any problems are usually
easily fixed.

Those WITHOUT extensive experience
with these guns sometimes express
ill-conceived views in gun forums.

Of the comments here, how many have actually shot it? I find most that do comment have no trigger time with it, and for me, it flat out works with the fixed Novak rear sight (Model 1754). These targets were shot at 7 yards, which is pretty standard for self defense.

The comments aren't directed at the gun itself or its owners, but at Ruger's marketing department. There's nothing wrong with a fixed sight gun, and yours looks to be quite accurate, but if you're going to call a gun a "Match Champion" it should have adjustable target sights.

It's all about the product matching the expectations generated by the name. Same issue with Ruger's "Gunsite Scout Rifle".

Matches abound where the
firearms have fixed sights,
revolver and auto.

Matches abound where the
firearms have adjustable sights,
revolver and auto.

And Ruger's Match Champion
features both style sights.

Match Champion should have adjustible sights it does not.
The triggers on gp 100s suck, and the match champion is no different. And changing the springs for a lighter trigger pull will get you reliable misfires.
My Match Champion has adjustable sights and an excellent trigger. And the factory grips give it a grip angle almost exactly the same as a 1911 so it points very naturally. It's one of my favorite .357mag revolvers.

Back