Ruger GP100 Match Champ

Match Champ is a great shooter. Bought one when it first came out. It’s supposed to be a out of the box competition piece but in my opinion it does it all. Takes some weight off the GP-100 and adds some refinement. Fluted cylinder, barrel crown Etc. No new SW in .357 even comes close in quality and shootability.

I would echo the sentiment expressed earlier: You can't go wrong with either. Enjoy what you have. Purchase a bucket load of ammo. Enjoy your 2nd Ammendment right to bear arms.

Don't think the 10mm can have/use the tapered cylinder, as I know Clements Custom Guns states they can't do 10mm conversions on the .357 Match Champions due to the tapered cylinder.

I also was looking at the 10mm gp100's. I'd probably shoot some .40s&w out of it at the range to save a little on ammo cost.

I would think that a 10mm in 3" would be ill mannered and wind up being a 40 S&W...the same treatment we give 357 Magnum guns that aren't big enough to handle the cartridge and serve as 38 Specials. I have a GP100 3" that is 41 Special by Clement and it can be a handful. I don't shoot well with it, but my Match Champion in 357 is no problem at all.

Edit: this is a response to a post that claims that Ruger's are weak because they have cast frames. I'm not sure why the quote function didn't work so I apologize in advance.

BS. It's a Ruger... you can shoot roofing nails through the thing and not hurt it. No matter what you can say about a Ruger you cannot say that they are weak guns.

PS the "roofing nails" part is an analogy meant to highlight the strength of a Ruger frame..... I'm sure someone will think I meant you could actually shoot roofing nails in the gun.....

While I'm at it I will offer my opinion that the Ruger GP100 Match Champion is a fine revolver. I've owned 2; I bought one of the very first ones when they came out and I returned it to the factory due to the fact that it "never should have left the factory" according to the head of CS. The replacement was built properly and I put thousands of rounds through it. The GP100 is a fine revolver that is fairly easy to tune and smooth out. I currently run Smith & Wesson 686SSR revolvers that have been tuned by Clark Custom. I prefer Smiths but that is in no way a ding against Ruger revolvers.

A Ruger is a fine, well built, heavy duty revolver that will take a lifetime of use.

Last edited:
S391 - BS. It's a Ruger... you can shoot roofing nails through the thing and not hurt it. No matter what you can say about a Ruger you cannot say that they are weak guns.

If calling BS here, you should first figure out how to provide a quote of what you are disrespecting.

Back