Ruger GP100 Match Champ

arquebus357

Say Hi to my new subject revolver. First impression...eh, The stainless steel brushed finish is nice but to be honest, not much better than I could do. (look at the cylinder)

I could hardly wait to get rid of the god awful Hogue grips. Hogue grips are too long (allows for their attachment system), These particular Hogues have an odd, almost Bisley, angle to them and why are they pushing my hand back 3/8" from the frame ? Nice Walnut wood though. This spare set of Thai grips have a better angle, 1/2" shorter, and tuck under the back strap ledge. Smooth finger groove grips just work better for me. I naturally hold them tighter which improves my shooting.

Over all, I like my new purchase but I'm wondering if my money wouldn't have been better spent on an older nice condition S&W 686. (I"M not a collector)

I gotta agree with mamba. The Ruger prolly cost what a 686 costs. If you are a shooter you will appreciate the 686 both single action and double action.

If you're not a collector, and you like the gun, what's the problem? Buy a ton of ammo and enjoy your new gun. Focus on your shooting, less on whether the GP100 or 686 was the better choice.

FWIW, my primary shooters are 686s, but the GP100 is a fine revolver too. Both have their strengths and compromises. I wouldn't hesitate to get a GP100 if I were in the market for a 686-sized revolver.

I have a S&W model 15, 19, and a couple of 64's. and Like all very much. I would also much rather disassemble and reassemble a S&W than a Ruger. As far as shooting though, I would find them pretty equal with maybe a nod to Ruger's cylinder release button.

There's no problem I just like to start arguments :):)

Mine has a better finish, very nice actually. As soon as I got it, it had to go back for a new cylinder. Grip wise, I went with the Lett style with Ruger logo inserts...maybe something to look at if you want a carry gun.

I had both the GP100 Match Champion and a 686-6. I had a lot of gunsmithing money in the 686 before it was really right. I sold it in good conscience because the thrill was gone, no bond with a gun that spent more time in the shop than in my safe. The GP100 shoots well but the Smith trigger slicked up better. I won't be buying any more NEW Smiths, thank you. The deal maker was that the Ruger would fire lead bullets without fouling. The ECM rifling on the Smith made a mess of the same loads.

This was my first gun back in mid 2017. I really caught the bug since then and now have 4 357s including a 686+ and several semi autos. The Ruger is my favorite revolver I own and I am still enjoying it very much.

Ruger is cast steel, no way it will tolerate hotter loads than an L frame S&W.
Does the fact that it is investment cast steel make it inherently weaker than a milled M686? How do you know this?

Does the fact that it is investment cast steel make it inherently weaker than a milled M686? How do you know this?

It is just as strong or stronger than the Smith. This cast vs drop forge has been debated to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Say Hi to my new subject revolver. First impression...eh, The stainless steel brushed finish is nice but to be honest, not much better than I could do. (look at the cylinder)

I could hardly wait to get rid of the god awful Hogue grips. Hogue grips are too long (allows for their attachment system), These particular Hogues have an odd, almost Bisley, angle to them and why are they pushing my hand back 3/8" from the frame ? Nice Walnut wood though. This spare set of Thai grips have a better angle, 1/2" shorter, and tuck under the back strap ledge. Smooth finger groove grips just work better for me. I naturally hold them tighter which improves my shooting.

Over all, I like my new purchase but I'm wondering if my money wouldn't have been better spent on an older nice condition S&W 686. (I"M not a collector)

I have many more Smiths than Rugers, but I prefer the GP100. Its a very strong design. The GP100 will hold timing longer than a Smith. The action can be smoothed up quite well. Rugers are tanks that shoot well.

Last edited:
I have a GP100 and a 586. Of course, everyone should have one of each. :-) It may sound stupid but I like that they both use the same speed loaders.

--Wag--

Ruger Only loads pertain only to the 45 Colt cartridge and for large framed Ruger single actions, Redhawks and Super Redhawks. There are no 357 magnum Ruger Only loads.

Ruger Only loads pertain only to the 45 Colt cartridge and for large framed Ruger single actions, Redhawks and Super Redhawks. There are no 357 magnum Ruger Only loads.

Even if the frames of the GP100, and L Frame were the same size, the GP100 would fair better in high pressure loads due to the solid frame (no side plates). And there is little doubt that the Ruger will hold its timing longer.
I do like both, and still have a fondness for the 19-3.

I was looking to get a 357 revolver. I have the S&W 629 so was going with the 686. Problem was the ones I looked at were over or under clocked. So there was no way I was going to buy one on line. I bought the Ruger GP100 love post revolvers.

Nice looking gun. Congrats! I have a GP100 as well, but I'm much more of a semi-auto guy. The GP100 doesn't come out to play much.

The frames are not the same size on the Ruger and the S&W, Rugers are always thicker because the cast isn't as strong as the forged frame on the S&W. They don't make them thicker just to make them heavier. As for timing, I've never had a S&W get out of time even after thousands of rounds fired double action. Where did you hear that? Ruger is a fine gun but it ain't good as a S&W, never will be. Have you ever seen a Ruger D/A at a match? I haven't. I've even seen old Colt revolvers but not Ruger.

Back