Ruger GP100 44 special

roashooter

It leaked out today...from Jeff Quinn.....Ruger GP100 in 44 special....3in ..adjustable sights....pic was too big to tranfer to TFL...

82dbf8bf8819dc51a2563ff7618f8c10.jpg

Yep AND also an 8 shot Redhawk in 357 mag. 2.5 inch barrel.
Both of the images I have seen show unfluted barrels.
Wow!!!

I can understand the excitement others have in the .44 Special GP100, but the Redhawk in 2.5" barrel? Pointless. Put it in a 4 inch barrel and it will get the TruthTeller stamp of approval, otherwise it's a waste of steel.

Having said that, I'm encouraged to see the GP100 utilized to hold the .44 Special as it means a .45 Colt may see the light of day, but I have no interest in .44 Special and never have.

Now if Ruger would get started on that turnkey, fortune making, money spanking .22 LCRx they'd be doing backflips in Southport, CT.

Old news but I just read a article and saw a picture on Facebook where a fella named Ed Head has been test firing the new revolver.

It's going to have a stainless 3" barrel, like the old Rossi M720 and S & W 696, with a adjustable rear sight, rubber grips, unfluted cylinder and the front sight looks like the one currently stock on the GP-100 Match Champion.

I just sold my Rossi M720 back in the summer so I'm not looking for another 3" .44 Special......if down the road they come out with a 4" barrel version I'll own one.

Again old news but the Facebook article also stated they are coming out with a 8 round Redhawk in .357 Mag. which doesn't interest me.

There is supposed to be a formal announcement by Ruger on the two new models next month sometime.

Last edited:
I want. There's nothing else to say.

If it is near the width of a K-frame snub, I could see one eventually replacing my Astra 6-shot .38...

I can understand the excitement others have in the .44 Special GP100, but the Redhawk in 2.5" barrel? Pointless. Put it in a 4 inch barrel and it will get the TruthTeller stamp of approval, otherwise it's a waste of steel.

I agree. To my mind, 2.5" says carry, while 8-shot cylinder says not-for-carry. Paradoxical specs, IMHO.

I'm glad to see the .44 Special GP100 arrive in a 3" barrel, though I'm surprised that Ruger didn't try for .44 Magnum to compete with the S&W 69. I still want one.

The .357 Magnum Redhawk surprises me. Why not a 3" or 4" barrel? You really need more barrel to let that round hit its stride. Maybe that happens on the next version....

Now, Ruger, let's get that 3" LCRx in .357 Magnum out on the market PDQ, shall we?

Having said that, I'm encouraged to see the GP100 utilized to hold the .44 Special as it means a .45 Colt may see the light of day, but I have no interest in .44 Special and never have.
Makes no sense. Not enough room for the 45 Colt but if there were, it would surely be restricted to standard pressure loads.

44 Special - 250gr at 1200ft/sec.

45 Colt - 250gr at 900ft/sec.

The wise man chooses the grand old 44.

Hopefully they can pull a rabbit out of their hat and make it a Magnum. I've been considering a S&W 69 for a while to go with my other .44's. I reload 90% of what I shoot and all my .44 brass is Magnum even though most my loads are Special level.

Limiting it to Special really limits the ammo you can buy. I'm sure Ruger has done the testing and will do what they think is best but I'd have a hard time shelling out the money on the Ruger when the S&W will be so much more versatile.

I am proud to see the GP 100 in 44 Special...but I have no interest in the Colt...and never have.

I think Iv've owned a 44 Spl or two for the past 30yrs .. Usually a Charter or a Rossi or Taurus ... My brother has had a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag for years .. shoots mostly reduced 44 mag loads which equal in velocity to hotter 44 spl loads .. With that combo many of White tail and boar and a few Black bear ..
A 240 gr .430 hard cast bullet at 44 spl pressure levels pentrate like no tomorrow..
As for the 45 Colt vs 44 spl ... That will always be a debate will always exist ...
But the difference in tbe diameter of the two , the 44 spl can be in smaller framed revolvers ... Like the Charter Bulldog 44 spl is housed in a revolver which is just tad more than the S&W J frame ...

To me the 44 spl is a low pressure round that pushes a fat bullet with less recoil and muzzel flash that a 357 mag ..

Pond said:
Perhaps a brand such as Ruger, with their market share, bringing out a .44Spl in DA/SA may prompt some ammo brands to broaden their selections...
For self defense/carry ammo? Yes. For general target and practice shooting? Not likely.

The .44 Special has been around a very long time and if it's widely accepted that the ammunition is difficult to find, then that status quo isn't going to change, especially when it's still going to be harder to find than .44 Magnum and just as expensive.

Having a Smith 69 I am disappointed that it is not a magnum. While tempting for the 3" fixed sight, for a 44 special I'll get a charter arms @ almost 1/2 the weight, bulk and price.

Back