Ruger coating problem

So it's off the side of the cylinder around the corner from the face? If so, then the gas cutting probably initiated a peel that extends around the corner. That doesn't speak well for the adhesion.

I looked at coatings when I was working on club-owned Garands twenty years ago. The trouble spot was getting a Parkerizing matching color on the stainless gas cylinder. After several experiments I concluded that durability depended heavily on getting a sharp matte surface on the SS. Bead blasting didn't cut it; sharp Aluminum oxide blasting was required. For plain and carbon steel, a zinc phosphate adhesion layer made an even better base.

I haven't played with trying to put the current coatings on smooth steel. What I had available back then didn't hold up on any smooth surface for very long. While the newer products may do better about that, I would expect they do better still when the surface preparation I mentioned is applied.

Should have had it Cerakoted.

I hate air cures because they lack the durability- but they have their place where you can't use a heat cure. Duracoat in particular is marketed as a DIY product (no blasting, nor heat cure oven required), and is also good for multi-color camo jobs because you don't need the high-temp Avery stencils that can be baked in between coats, and you save all that time. Just lay down the base coat, apply stencils and colors as each coat air dries.

But I'd never use them on a high-wear item like a revolver. Metal parts get blasted, Cerakoted and baked- and polymers, etc. still get either blasted/Scotchbrite- and then baked at low temp.

Since you say it's coming off the sides of the cylinder- where it is not a contact surface- it's poor prep/ degreasing.

Have you contacted the FFL that did the work? What did they say?

The last coating I applied to a bead blasted Garand gas cylinder was Brownells Teflon/moly oven cured finish to one of my own because they had colors to better match their manganese Parkerizing. It didn't hold up to any kind of rubbing or scraping. Still had to go to the abrasive surface blast for better adhesion.

I talked to the coater and he ask I bring it back and he can fix it .
This Ruger is a shooter and it does not need to look good but I would like it to . I will shoot the gun until next winter and see what it looks like ?

Right now it is not that bad so we will see in time . I put 4/500 rounds a week out of this gun and shoot it every day if the weather lets me .

I thank you for the thoughts

Back