Ruger Charger ... Who else has one?

Should be moved back to the pistol group... In no way is this a short rifle or NFA item. Picture with Suppressor was removed as it was not mentioned in original post.
Ruger Charger (10"), SBA3 brace, Copper Custom adapter, = pistol and used as such ... Legal length at that as there is no maximum length of barrel allowed for a pistol.

Last edited:
After considerable debate among the moderators, this thread has been moved back to Semi-Automatic Handguns.

As such, discussion must be limited to using it (and other Chargers) as handguns. If the discussion suggests that it is being used primarily or customarily as a rifle, it will either be moved back to NFA Firearms, or just removed from public view.

The reason why this is a sensitive issue should be obvious.

Thank You for returning this thread to the Semi-Automatic Handgun forum. These pistols are very accurate reaching out to 50, 75 and 100+ yards. Adding the arm brace and using it properly aids in stabilizing shots to make this a more handy and accurate firearm. The Charger has been great fun on the range at near and far distances. I hope others will give it a try and add their experiences here in this thread about his great pistol.

TX Nimrod, Is that a crazy Ivan stock setup? I am looking at getting one for my Charger, if so how do you like it?

Sorry for the late reply, hard to follow this thread with all the back-and-forth movement. Yes it’s a Crazy Ivan chassis and I like it a lot! Very well made with several interesting innovations, it really locks the receiver in place but remains easy to remove. Aftermarket parts (shroud, brace and grip) fit like they were designed for the chassis by Ivan himself.

Stick with the fixed-barrelled version if you value accuracy!

Like most of the members who posted here, I bought my first-generation Ruger Charger when it first came out, and was duly impressed both by its reliability and accuracy.

Last year, I decided to buy a second Charger, the newer take-down version. I now regret this, since I have never been able to get the take-down model to print groups as small as those from my original fixed-barrelled Charger.

The best groups that the take-down version of gun will do (in its "stock" form) are 1.5 inches at 25 meters, using the ammunition that my unit likes best, which is SK Pistol Match.

I find that very disappointing, since my Smith and Wesson Model 17 will produce groups half that size with match ammunition at the same range.

I've watched every YouTube video and probably read every piece of advice on how to wring more accuracy out of the gun, and I'm still trying to figure out how to proceed, short of swapping out the original parts for aftermarket replacement stuff.

If I don't find a workable solution, I'm seriously considering selling the take-down version off, and keeping the original fixed-barrel Ruger Charger. Maybe I'll start a separate thread and get advice on how to deal with this issue!

I love gun control. It lets me hit what I'm shooting at!

Last edited:
The saga continues... More upgrades and more fun. This has now become my favorite gun.

. SB3 arm brace .. yes I do strap it to my arm.
. Copper Custom brace adapter
. Custom wood grip ( Curly Shedua )
. NDZ extended mag release
. Kidd Trigger Job Kit ( 2 1/4 lb pull) & springs
. Kidd mag release bushing
. Kidd bolt buffer pin
. EER 1-4x24 scope on solid mount
. Not shown - Magpul sling system
. Tandemkross Bolt keeper kit
. Tandemkross Keeper cross pins for bolt release

8lJV9ajl.jpg

Like most of the members who posted here, I bought my first-generation Ruger Charger when it first came out, and was duly impressed both by its reliability and accuracy.

Last year, I decided to buy a second Charger, the newer take-down version. I now regret this, since I have never been able to get the take-down model to print groups as small as those from my original fixed-barrelled Charger.

The best groups that the take-down version of gun will do (in its "stock" form) are 1.5 inches at 25 meters, using the ammunition that my unit likes best, which is SK Pistol Match.

I find that very disappointing, since my Smith and Wesson Model 17 will produce groups half that size with match ammunition at the same range.

I've watched every YouTube video and probably read every piece of advice on how to wring more accuracy out of the gun, and I'm still trying to figure out how to proceed, short of swapping out the original parts for aftermarket replacement stuff.

If I don't find a workable solution, I'm seriously considering selling the take-down version off, and keeping the original fixed-barrel Ruger Charger. Maybe I'll start a separate thread and get advice on how to deal with this issue!

I love gun control. It lets me hit what I'm shooting at!
Sorry I didn't see this post sooner, but I'm absolutely in agreement with you on getting the fixed barrel and not the takedowns for this, uh... "pistols". I've seen the Ruger PC pistol has a takedown variant with he 6 inch barrel and, firstly, a 6" PC is ridiculous itself, but a takedown version? Enough with that tacticool garbage for these short barreled guns. For a 16 inch or longer barrel, yeah, I get it, but anything less and it's a gimmck, one that is detriment to accuracy.

If someone really wants a takedown style gun, how about an AR? Those things are damn accurate and the sights hold their zero because they're mounted to the upper. Or, if you really want a fast deployment, the Kel Tec Sub 2000.

I don't like Ruger's takedown guns, they do their takedowns to meet a price point, not be a good, accurate gun.

I headed out to the range today. Someone left an un-used sticker target on a 25 yard target stand. I put it to good use after spending some time chasing shotgun shells tossed up on the berm.
15 rounds light breeze I'm happy with the group.
tyLe7fWl.jpg

I bought one a couple years back. It's a great little pistol especially with the little addition that might make us all felons. Great for kids, even littler ones if you put on the bipod and have them shoot it that way.
My only issue with it is the usual issues with 22lr. I prefer the 15rd curved mag, it provides a great place to place your off hand when shooting and seems more reliable than the 25rders.

I have found that if I use the Mag as a foregrip I will have all kinds of feed issues.
As far as mags go I have
. 1 - 10 round mag
. 1 - 15 round mag
. 2 - 25 round mags
I found the 10 round mag on the range in the bucket where we dump brass. It was filthy dirty and took a bit to clean up. Runs fine ... It may have been thrown out because of how dirty it was, might not have worked prior to cleaning.
All my mags run good. I'll likely pick up another 25 and a couple 10 rounders.

Pancake two 10-rounders

I have found that if I use the Mag as a foregrip I will have all kinds of feed issues.
Unless you take precautions. this is a common problem with extended magazines for the 10/22 family. So .....

If you take two 77/22 magazines and cement them Base-to-Base, you will eliminate this problem with you get 20-rounds just by flipping it over. Granted, the feed-lips on the bottom mag are now facing down and exposed. They make a slip on rubber boot that protects the bottom mag. "NOW" you also have a solid foregrip that functions "very well" and not dangling in the wind. I primarily use this set-up for squirrel hunting .... ;)

Try it and;
Be Safe !!!!

Generally shooting off hand I'll fold the bi-pod forward and hold the base to stabilize the shot.

Side note: I ordered a JWH Custom Bolt and Charging handle. I've read that this will wring out a little more consistency in the accuracy department. I'm fairly confident in the accuracy of the barrel.

Back