Ruger blackhawk transfer bar broke

mulespurs

I think that's the transfer bar. Just under the hammer and raises to hit the firing pin. It's a pretty new model flattop blackhawk with the fake ivory grips in 45acp/45 long colt. I feel naked if it don't shoot.

The question is where do I get one? Ruger or Brownells?

maybe not

I started a post on this very topic, maybe 6 months or so ago. My .357 Blackhawk transfer bar broke, revolver was maybe 20-25 yrs old. If I recall, I contacted Ruger by phone. They sent 2 transfer bars, I watched a Youtube video on how to make the swap, and with some patience, made the repair myself.

A search of older posts will likely yield my post, conversation and some pics as I recall.

Call Ruger. They will guide you. A had a customer with an issue with a LCPII and he had the gun beck from mailing in to back in his hands in one week. No cost, no FFL involvement.

Research "Transfer Bar Pinch" and correct it or you'll just break another one.

Cock the hammer and lower it while keeping the trigger rearward. Release the trigger and watch the hammer closely. If it moves forward, it's pinching the transfer bar.

One of the Ruger forums is a good place to start.

Last edited:
I think that's the transfer bar. Just under the hammer and raises to hit the firing pin. It's a pretty new model flattop blackhawk with the fake ivory grips in 45acp/45 long colt. I feel naked if it don't shoot.

The question is where do I get one? Ruger or Brownells?

I think Midway has them, and for not much money.

---edit to add---

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=ruger+transfer+bar&userItemsPerPage=48

Yeah, might be a good idea to have an extra on hand.

Knock wood, I’ve never had a transfer bar break, even on my New Vaqueros that I have been shooting at an average two matches per month for more than nine years.

If yours broke after relatively little use I would check for the “pinch”.

A couple of years ago, I was testing .357 loads over the chronograph when I had the transfer bar break. This is on a gun I've had since '81 or so. It had a lot of shots through it. First Ruger that I've had do that. A bit disconcerting as I was glad this wasn't a life/death situation. Can't say if it had the pinch problem. I've made sure on all the guns I do have, don't have the pinch problem. But still it makes you a bit leary on depending on these revolvers! TBs are safer no doubt ... but to me it is just one more part that could (and in this case) did fail.

When you pull the trigger on your revolver, the hammer should hit the transfer bar but rest on the frame. If it rests on the transfer bar, then you have the transfer bar 'pinch'. The hammer should not move as you release the trigger which drops the transfer bar. I've seen it where after the hammer comes down on the transfer bar, pressure from your hand on the hammer won't allow the transfer bar to drop. This is the pinch. Hope this makes sense!

Howdy

Sorry to chime in so late.

Broken transfer bars happen often enough in CAS that a cottage industry popped up a few years ago that removes the transfer bar and welds up the hammer face so the hammer will strike the firing pin directly.

Some competitors in CAS practice a great deal, firing a few thousand rounds every year in practice and some probably dry fire a lot too.

Of course, a transfer bar may break under less stressful situations, but the chances increase with heavy usage.

Probably some guys have the transfer bar removed and the hammer face welded up just as a precaution. No fun if your pistol stops working during a major competition.

It happened to one of mine. I sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it. Ruger makes a rugged gun but it's good to be reminded from time to time that revolvers are not infallible.

I thought Rugers never broke.

As Buford 'Mad Dog' Tannen said in Back to the Future III,

"You thought wrong dude"

unnamed_zpsbmubxky4.jpg

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

a cottage industry popped up a few years ago that removes the transfer bar and welds up the hammer face so the hammer will strike the firing pin directly.

Doesn't this remove the ability to carry 6 rounds safely?

Am also thinking the load one, skip one load 4 wouldn't work the same with a new model Ruger as it does with a Colt, or clone.

I had not heard about this before, probably because I don't play cowboy games, but I have to wonder about "deliberately deactivating a safety feature of the mechanism in order to play a game..."

wonder what the Hangin' Judge would say about that if the gun went off and hurt/killed someone....

Maybe make him saddle his own horse? :rolleyes:

Back