Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt question

Yes, with a New Model (the transfer bar models) Ruger, if you allow the cylinder to rotate just a tiny bit too far when loading, the hand will pop into the next ratchet tooth and you will have to go all the way around again to load that chamber.

I found this so annoying that I installed Power Custom half cock hammers in three stainless 'original model' Vaqueros. Just like a Colt, with the half cock hammers, the chambers line up very nicely with the loading gate for each chamber when the hammer is placed in the half cock position.

pl4h2ctpj

Ruger solved this problem with the New Vaqueros by installing a spring plunger in the frame that lines up the chambers with the loading gate when loading, without needing a half cock hammer or a free spin pawl.

posS4BIgj

Actually the New Vaquero and Blackhawks with the same features, have a free spin pawl already. Which is why they needed the plunger for indexing the chambers.

Over the years of using the NM Ruger, I got used to loading/unloading them by feel and it was/is no problem. That said, I do like the flattops and New Vaqueros with the free spin pawl, and plunger stop. Someone came up with a good idea there at Ruger :) .

I wouldn't ditch it either :) . Have a keeper, keep'er goin'. For me though, Once I got my hands on the medium frame flattops it was love at first sight (so to speak) ... No turning back. I have my set of perfect pack'n, shoot'n, toot'n. rip-roar'n, snort'n revolvers. All four are tuned the same by the same gunsmith, all the same barrel length, all shoot to same POA, all with custom same grip style..... In .357, .44 Special, and .45 Colt. The forth flattop is the .45 Colt New Vaquero. I guess if you bring in a fifth, it would be the .44 Magnum 50th flattop with 6 1/2" barrel. It just doesn't get out as much, but it is the gun I go to if shoot'n .44 Magnum. .44 Special just made the .44 Mag 'obsolete' for my .429 shooting needs ;) . Also the .357 and .45 Colt flattops can shoot the odd ball cartridges 9mm and .45 ACP too if I ever get the silly idea to do so....

Last edited:
I understand your enjoyment of the "perfect" SA's for you. I'm in a similar, but different boat.

Having spent so much time (and ammo) with my 83 Blackhawk .45 7.5", when I handle others such as flattops, New Vaqueros, and all the Colt and Colt size clones, they just seem small to me. Implying weak and flimsy. I know they're not, but it just seems that way to me.

7.5" 45 Blackhawks, Super Blackhawk and a 6.5" Blackhawk in .357. All wear Pachmayr grips, and all work great for me. Yes, they're big guns, but I LIKE that.

I also have several .45 Vaqueros, and while I like them too, I just don't like them quite as much.

...and all work great for me.
That's the 'key' to all of this and why we have a plethora of sixguns to choose from :) . And nice to live(d) in an age where we can pick and choose and find the 'right' one(s) for each of us.

I’ve had several of these convertible cylinders and after one trip to the range or so and the oddball sits in the grey Ruger box until the gun sells.

The cheap single stage Lee press is still with me 30 years later.

I doubt there is a better cartridge to begin reloading for than .45 LC. You can keep upgrading gear if you insist, but a press, set of dies and Lee Dippers (measuring spoons) will get you a long way. Then get a powder scale.

When you get tired of washing used brass by shaking it in an old Wide mouthed juice bottle, you can get a tumbler.

The next time there is an ammo shortage, you can smirk online!

I think that’s a better use of money than refitting a cylinder.

I doubt there is a better cartridge to begin reloading for than .45 LC. You can keep upgrading gear if you insist, but a press, set of dies and Lee Dippers (measuring spoons) will get you a long way. Then get a powder scale.

I agree with you, 45 Colt was the first cartridge I learned to reload. However, I would suggest getting a powder scale along with the other stuff when you start loading it. Particularly if you are using Lee dippers with Smokeless. Too much variation when dipping Smokeless powders. Black Powder is fine with dippers, +/- a grain or two does not matter with Black Powder. I cannot say the same with some of the denser Smokeless powders.

44 AMP, a Ron Powers free spin pawl is easy to install and do yourself. Mine needed a bit of filing to match my gun but it was easy.

To the OP, any decent gunsmith with a mill and a reamer can make a custom cylinder, its not hard to do.

44 AMP, a Ron Powers free spin pawl is easy to install and do yourself. Mine needed a bit of filing to match my gun but it was easy.

ok. Thanks for the info.

A pawl can't be all that expensive, and I know I'm capable of doing any fitting needed, but I got the gun in 83, and I'm pretty happy with it, as is.

Had those kind of parts been available back then, when I was still tinkering and tuning the gun, I'd probably have been interested, but I'm well past that point today. Thanks anyway!

45 colt was my first to reload also. I have a Ruger Bisley with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Bought one back in late 80s and stupidly sold it. Got another in probably in 2004 and it likes bullets on heavy side. 250 to 265 grains. Tried 225s and a no go. Heavies only.

Back