Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm

HVR, Those are very good numbers for .38 Spcl. +P from all those barrel lengths. About the most energetic major manufacturer .38+P I can recall chronographing was the Federal .38+P 129 Hydra-Shok at 1052 FPS from a 4 5/8" Blackhawk. Not even close to the BB. That Buffalo Bore is Impressive stuff. Was that 1237 FPS from a 6 1/2" gun?

The real question is-Old or New Model ?
At present I am strictly an indoor range shooter, I have come to prefer longer barrels in medium bores, higher MV, longer sighting radius.

I went into the gunshop with my heart set on a 357 Blackhawk with the 4 5/8" bbl. , this was 1971 and the movie Dirty Harry had hit the theaters ... "The 44 Magnum is the most powerful handgun on earth and will blow your "...you know the rest .
In the case was a 6 1/2 bbl 357 Blackhawk , in the box marked used ... on sale .
The owner had bought it new, two weeks ago , saw Dirty Harry , returned and traded it in on a S&W 44 magnum ... the dealer said I can hardly give away old fashioned single action in 357 mag. right now but could sell every 44 Magnum I could get my hands on .

I asked how much for the used 357 Ruger , I pulled $85.00 cash money out my jeans and he said ...good enough . It wasn't the 4 5/8" bbl I wanted but it must have been ok ...I still have it and still shoot it a lot . Never did get a 4 5/8 like I had my heart set on ... C'est La Vie (Such is Life)
Gary

Back