Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm

Hi everyone,

I picked a used blued Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm with 4.6” barrel revolver today at my LGS. It is in like new condition. I had an option to get a similar revolver with a 6.5” barrel but went with the shorter barrel thinking that it is easier to carry. They were both priced at $499.00 plus tax.

I am now debating whether I should have purchased the revolver with the longer barrel.

I would like to hear from current owners why they chose one version vs. the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have chosen the same one you did. No particular logic to it -- I just prefer the shorter barrel.

If it were a choice between a 4-5/8" barrel and a 5-1/2" barrel ... THEN I'd have a tough time choosing.

I would have gone the other way. The longer barrel is what appeals to me.

Everyone's got their likes and dislikes, and we're in all kinds of different situations, which is why they make the different barrel lengths.

Some people put more importance on ease of carry. Others, put up with some inconvenience in order to maximize the potential of the cartridge. A large frame single action revolver in .357 deserves to be the "power wagon" it can be.

Now, if it was a smaller, less potentially powerful round (9mm :rolleyes:) where you aren't handicapping it as much with a shorter barrel, that's ok with me.

The Blackhawk is a great gun, I'm happy with the ones I have, I hope you will be with yours.

The shorter barrel is an attractive firearm and if I carried an SA a lot would be the way to go. But for recreational/ target shooting, maybe occasional hunting, then go with the 6.5.

I'm with Blanca on this one, I also prefer the shorter barrel (unless a 5 1/2 was involved then it gets tricky). The shorter barrel is easier to clear a holster and I like the looks of a 4 5/8 gun. I'm sure you will enjoy the balance of the gun once you start shooting it.

While I don't own a Blackhawk, I've made similar decisions regarding barrel length.

If you intend to carry it more than you shoot it, you made the right decision.

Rest easy.

I'd of waited for a 5 1/2" medium frame flattop :) to come along. That said, I carried a 6 1/2" .357 BH hiking/fishing/camping in my college days. Later even a long barrelled .44. But now I prefer the 5 1/2".... That said again, I picked up a Uberti .44 Special SA recently in 4 5/8.... Go figure. Personal preference!

Go back and buy the other one, too. Good price. Problem solved!
On average, you'll have a 5 1/2".

Last edited:
Problem solved!, I think ???

But for recreational/ target shooting, maybe occasional hunting, then go with the 6.5.
I guess I would be in this camp. ….. :)

However, I sure like this thinking !!!
Go back and buy the other one, too. Good price. Problem solved!

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
I'd agree with buying the long barrel one as well. That way you can compare them side by side in the same situations and decide for your self what your personal pros and cons are.

IF you ever do make up your mind, you can keep both, or sell/trade the one you like least...;)

I think you'll enjoy the gun and the shorter bbl. makes it a lot more easy to carry when seated on any modern conveyance. The long, 6-1/2" bbls. do offer a bit more accuracy but also makes the grips stick up into your ribs when seated if you're using an OWB holster. A cross draw rig can mitigate that somewhat, as will a shoulder or "tanker" cross chest holster, but for me, I carry all of my handguns at the old FBI, 3:30-4:00 o'clock position and that makes the long bbl's a range toy only.

As to accuracy, at 25 yds, with my best loads, tailored to the gun, I find less than 1/2" difference in group size. And out to 50+ yds, it makes no practical difference when shooting from 'field' positions.

Balance is different with the shorter bbls too. They bring the balance point back into the hand somewhat, a characteristic that I like. Conversely, I find when shooting the long tubes, that I have a tendency to let the muzzle droop a bit during let-off; resulting in flyers out the bottom of the group. That's my hang up and obviously depends on the amount of training/practice one's been doing. YMMv, of course.

Weight is a consideration as well, and every oz. counts as the day wears on. However, the extra cpl oz's inherent in a longer bbl'd handgun really makes no significant difference in the amount of recoil felt by the shooter, but the amount of muzzle flip may seem different. For me, I find it's easier to get back on the sights with a bbl. that's shorter.

HTH's Rod

For single actions I like either a 3.5" barrel or a 6.5 inch. The 3.5's with the birds head grip are super comfortable to carry and shoot, while a 6 inch barrel is the best accuracy and power available in a gun that's not ridiculous to carry.

BTW, single actions are strictly meant for open carry IMO.

For as large as the Blackhawk is, I can't think of a reason to not choose the longest barrel. May as well get the most out of whatever you're shooting.

I have the 357 BH with 6 1/2" barrel (times 2).

Like 44 AMP, I prefer the longer barrels within reason.

All my SBHs are 7 1/2".

I once had a Buntline in 45 Colt, played with it for a coupla years and finally gave it to my BIL.

I've had .357 and .357/9MM Blackhawks and always purchased the 4 5/8" versions. I only have a couple single actions now, both convertibles with the shorter barrels. No regrets.

Attachments

• RUGER  (5).JPG
    RUGER (5).JPG
    102 KB · Views: 27
  • Primier Grade  454.jpg
    Primier Grade 454.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 25
Buffalo Bore .38 +P Outdoorsman 158 grain Keith hardcast:
.357 LCR-1024 fps 3" LCRX .38 special-1087 fps 4" Ruger Security Six-1177 fps........

Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm version shooting the BB .38 special came out at 1237 fps for 537 foot pounds ME. That longer barrel turned the .38 special into a magnum range load!

Back