Ruger AR-556 problems

Is the gas block pinned or does it have set screws. If it has set screws make sure they are tight. If not put some loktite on them and tighten them up.

Solved

I went to the range again today after another thorough cleaning and ensured that the rings were not aligned. First 30 rounds went okay, but it would never lock open on empty. Then, it started jamming, then it started not picking up the next round at all (shorter and shorter stroke). It was exactly the same as my first experience.

So, I took out my friend's BCG that he let me borrow and noticed a difference right away - it was covered in grease and oil. I put it in and everything was different. The gun felt like it could breathe suddenly. It locked open on empty and functioned flawlessly.

So, I went back to my BCG, but first put gobs of oil all over it. Well, maybe not gobs, but I put significant droplets all over the BCG and the points where the bolt goes into the carrier and smeared it all around. Sure enough, it functioned perfectly after that.

I've owned dozens of guns, but never an AR. I have always cleaned my guns well and left just a light glaze of oil on the moving parts, never actually putting drops of oil onto it. This has never caused a problem and every gun I owned worked perfectly. But maybe AR's just have tighter fits, particularly when new, and need additional grease or lube. I own two Mini 14's and neither will jam under any circumstances, probably because they have loose fitting parts.

Well, I'm going to buy some grease and start using that on the BCG. Thanks for the input though, I learned a ton about AR's.

That tells me that the bolts cylinder bore, or the firing pin stem was leaking a little, and the oil helped seal it, or there's some rough machining that is hampering the bolt from easily twisting open. However, it shouldn't need that amount of oil. I'd about bet, that if the bolt was changed out, with a new one, the gun would operate as it should.

When those were designed, especially with the chrome cylinder lining, they were supposed to be able to operate in harsh conditions, or without hardly any lubricant in the field. There may be a possibility, that the more you shoot it, the more it will loosen up, to where it will work with less lubricant. Especially, if its from rough machining. Dripping with oil, though, is too much.

+1 what dixie says--I was thinking along the same lines that new AR's often have minor issues preventing the cartridge going fully into battery. Even fresh anodizing can create a couple of thousandths extra that can make a difference or extra drag--as can sharp-edged ramps and extensions

Indeed, the bolt does not go in/out of the BCG easily, especially day one. It's getting easier though, after 200 rounds fired, and especially with some grease in it now. Maybe it just needs to break in a bit. After all, it's only a $600 gun, so how perfectly machined can everything possibly be?

Back