Ruger announces 9mm SP101

I point rarely mentioned, 38/357 really don't have the number of good commercially loaded hollow points as the 9mm.

Fine for reloaders, not great for the rest of us when a box of Gold Dots cost 1/10 of the revolver cost.

Box of 50 9mm HST is $20.

I point rarely mentioned, 38/357 really don't have the number of good commercially loaded hollow points as the 9mm.

Fine for reloaders, not great for the rest of us when a box of Gold Dots cost 1/10 of the revolver cost.

Box of 50 9mm HST is $20.

Point, set and match, sir. The HST is a great JHP, and doesn't care if it is fired from a revolver either. :D

wild cat mccane, are you referring to topstrap flame cutting?

Hot 110gr-125gr are also known for causing the dreaded 6 o'clock forcing cone crack in older S&W K frames, but this issue is specific to older S&W K frames, and not Rugers AFAIK.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the point of a 5 shot revolver???

Brand Ruger Glock Difference Winner
Model SP101 43
Weight 25 oz. 17.95 oz. 7.05 oz. Glock
Length 7.2" 6.26" .94" Glock
Width Est. 1.37" 1.02" ~.35" Glock
Height Est. 5" 4.25" ~.75" Glock
Capacity 5 6+1 2 rounds Glock
Barrel Length 2.25" 3.39" 1.14" Glock
MSRP $719 $529 $190 Glock

Looks like a pretty solid win for Glock in all departments. Feel free to sub another sub compact semi auto and it should still beat the Ruger. What advantage do you get by going to 9mm? You don't even have the power advantage that a .357 would give. While Glock's factory sights are pretty crappy, they are easily changed. The recoil of semi-autos are less than revolvers of the same weight due to the reciprocating slide taking some of the recoil energy.

The only advantage is the ability to pull the trigger on a dud round and get a fresh round. That, and I'm sure the SP101 trigger in single action is probably better than the Glock 43.

The point of a 5 shot 9mm revolver is they are good choices for backup guns to a primary gun in 9mm. It allows you to use the ammunition already loaded in your magazines to not be dead weight and usable in the revolver. If for any reason you have to use a gun to defend yourself, you're already in trouble, but if that gun fails for whatever reason and you have to use your backup gun, you need something that's dead nuts reliable and a revolver generally is more so compared to an autoloader.

At least, revolvers that aren't so light that rimless cartridges will jump crimp and lock up the cylinder. This is a problem I have with the LCR, but the SP101 is a heavier gun and hopefully dampens recoil enough to keep that from happening.

The only argument I can muster as to why a revolver in the same caliber would not be the best choice for a BUG is that say you carry a Glock 19 as a primary, you could easily just carry a Glock 26 as a BUG and if the 19 has a problem, the 26 can use the same mags as the 19.

Same can be said for any subcompact pistol using it's larger compact and standard size pistols mags.

But to have a G26 that weighs less than an SP101 and have all the advantages an autoloader has over a revolver... it becomes difficult to recommend using a revolver as a BUG. If you want absolute reliability from a BUG, then a revolver is the best choice, but it's uncommon for pistols that have been tested with quality ammunition to ensure reliability to all of a sudden have issues in the heat of the moment.

TruthTellers,

You talk about reliability, but many quality auto loaders are so reliable that the "reliability" argument almost carries no weight. The point you did bring up pokes even more holes since a Glock 19 is almost the same size height and length as the SP101, but is even thinner. Oh yeah... It also holds 3 times the ammo and an extra mag will give you 6 times the fire power.

If you are that worried about reliability, your Glock 26 suggestion easily fits the bill, with double the mag capacity.

The only reason to get one of anything is because you want it. I would like one but don't want one bad enough to purchase one. I might take one one day on a trade to "play" with for a spell. I for one have a fondness for auto cartridges in a revolver using moon clips. (and for those keeping count I wrote "one" 8 times).

They are a spicy 125gr. 125gr can come with forcing cone issues. It's not just a k vs L frame thing as suggested. I believe the googleable thread is something like my GP100 exploded or broke...

You talk about reliability, but many quality auto loaders are so reliable that the "reliability" argument almost carries no weight.
Revolvers are more reliable in that they are more forgiving of minor imperfections in handloads. Inasmuch as there are many of us who use handloads almost exclusively, it is then, a legitimate factor.

I guess to each his own. If I was to carry a SP101, I'd get it in .357 and have the flexibility to go with hot magnum loads all the way down to weak .38 Special loads. For those who hand load, there is practically no difference in loading 9mm vs. .38 special, and only slightly more for .357 magnum.

Back