Ruger announces 9mm SP101

weblance

Ruger Announces Return of the SP101 in 9mm

Ruger has announced the return of the SP101 in 9mm. They also have new LCRx revolvers

Cool. They hopefully didn’t put it on the 4” platform.....

Just peeked at their website. Guess I’ll have to put my money where my mouth is and buy one.

A 3” sp chambered in .327 would make my day as well.

sp101 9mm bbl length

Checked the Ruger site. The 9mm is (at least to start) a 2 1/4" bbl. and holds a scant 5 rounds. Oh well, that removes it from contention for me, anyway.
MSR $700.

Retfed

One wonders of any 9mm load that would expand reliably and penetrate from such a short barrel that also has a cylinder gap. Most are of course made to perform from longer barrels with a sealed chamber.

Last edited:
The 9mm is (at least to start) a 2 1/4" bbl. and holds a scant 5 rounds. Oh well, that removes it from contention for me...

I like 9mm but prefer to keep it in my semi-autos. I get it. It's cost effective. It's more powerful than .38 special without reaching the recoil levels of .357 magnum. It can be a fun way for semi-auto guys to break into revolvers. I just like revolver rounds in my revolvers.

I'm also with a couple of other posters here who expressed interest in a reissued shorter-barrel .327 Federal. It's more powerful than 9mm without reaching the recoil levels of .357 magnum. It's a six-shooter on the same frame that has both 9mm and .38/.357 holding five. Yeah, it's a little more expensive and you can't buy it at Wal-Mart. It's still very cool and very effective for what it is.

That said, there is a new LCRx coming out in .327 Federal. I'm still curious to see if they come out with a longer-barreled magnum frame in that line.

I don't know Model12Win, some 9mm ammo displays velocities higher than might be expected in the little 2" and 3" revolvers.

I chronographed the Federal 124 grain HST, that seems well thought of as a carry load, in a couple little 2" and 3" revolvers.

2" = 1195 FPS
3" = 1291 FPS

I think this compares pretty well with the 1236 FPS this ammo produced in a semi-auto with 5" barrel. I suspect terminal performance with this ammo would be about the same from any of these guns.

I don't know Model12Win, some 9mm ammo displays velocities higher than might be expected in the little 2" and 3" revolvers.

I chronographed the Federal 124 grain HST, that seems well thought of as a carry load, in a couple little 2" and 3" revolvers.

2" = 1195 FPS
3" = 1291 FPS

I think this compares pretty well with the 1236 FPS this ammo produced in a semi-auto with 5" barrel. I suspect terminal performance with this ammo would be about the same from any of these guns.
I see. I would want to see gel tests before I carried a load, though. Even a subtle decrease in velocity can mean the difference in an expanded vs. non expanded hollow point cavity.

Still, I really like this SP-101. Very cheap ammo. With moon clips it looks very fun. The heavy steel construction should reduce recoil over the LCR and S&W small frame alloy 9mm revolvers.

Back