Ruger American trigger modification write up.

RCP Fab

Thanks to Dan Newberry for this mod. Just doing a quick how to.

This will lighten the trigger pull to approximately 2 lbs at the minimum setting. Perform at your own risk.

trigger.jpg

Step one, remove the pin (A)
Step two, remove the trigger adjustment screw (B)
Step three, remove the spring (C) that follows the blue line.
Step four, cut off 1.75 coils
Step five, sand the cut end of the spring flat
Step six, remove any burrs
Step seven, reassemble with the cut side of the spring toward the adjustment screw
Step eight, enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot 70 rounds this morning. Doing this mod is a ridiculous improvement and I don't think I could comfortably shoot a stock trigger ever again.

Ruger American Trigger Modification

This forum has a lot of very useful information. I have a Ruger American Rifle (30-06) and am considering completing the trigger modification discussed, but the picture showing what pin to remove and the location of the spring to cut down is not longer posted. If anyone can post a picture that would be appreciated!

fyi - the gun seems to hate factory ammunition, but the blue box federal 180 grains shoot the best (1.25 inch groups). Hand loads with Winchester Brass (2.485 in.), CCI BR2 primers, 56.0 gr. IMR 4350 (max load), primer pocket reamed, flash hole cleaned, headspace set back 0.002 inches from fired casing dimensions, 180 Grain Sierra BTSP set 0.025 inches off the rifling and bullet alignment adjusted with a concentricity gauge to within 0.001 inches is ridiculously accurate. This load produces 4 shot groups <1/2 inch and up to 9 shot groups under an inch (never shot more than nine)! I let the barrel cool 5 minutes between shots. Average velocity is 2,647 on a 35 degree day. Time to work up a load got the Sierra 165 Gr. BTHP.

Anyone have any favorite loads for the Ruger American in 30-06?

just got off the phone with ruger, attempting to order an extra trigger spring, part # DBA02501 - they will not sell any parts for the trigger assembly, but will happily sell the entire assembly for far too many dollars. krap. phooey on ruger.

SO .... if you cut the spring off a tad too much, gotta look elsewhere for a comparable trigger spring or figure a way to add a spring spacer.

great fix!

I just bought an American in 270 and just stumbled on this thread--it should be linked over to the Ruger forum cause it's so good! GREAT super-easy trigger fix Dan--thanks so much! Took me all of 3 minutes or so to do--and the trigger group is built so robustly I don't think there's much to worry about following your directions.

RFD, I believe if I were going to do this mod, I would just find the weight spring I wanted instead of cutting the stock one. There is not very much I can not find in the hydraulic pump rebuild supplies.;)

RAR trigger mod

New member here. I know that this is an old thread but I wanted to say WOW. I recently purchased the Ruger American in 22-250 and the trigger would not adjust below 4 lbs and 12 oz.After reading the post by RCP FAB where he posted the modification by Dan Newberry
I took off a coil and a half and it immediately went to 3#2oz.
Thanks for that tip. I am amazed..

If you are going to cut the spring make sure you dress the end. I had a look inside a gun someone had cut without de-burring. The little bore on the end did an amazing amount of damage.

I have a RARR in .300bo. Instead of cutting the factory spring I replaced it with a spring from a ball point pen. I cut it 2 coils longer than the stock spring the bend the end to match as well. I also polished the surface of the trigger where it mates with the sear using a fine diamond hone. It now has a consistent 1lb 9oz pull. I also tested it by slamming the stock on the floor to see if the sear would slip and it never did. Since doing the mod I've put about 250 rounds through the rifle and haven't had a single issue.

If that trigger is anything like the American Rimfire trigger (and I think it's the exact same), try removing that spring altogether. Dropped the trigger on my 22mag down below 1lb! And it passed the heavy bump test with flying colors!

That's a good question; ARE the trigger assemblies the same on all the Ruger American rifles? Rim and center-fire both? This info on trigger adjustment is good stuff, and as I have a Ruger American in .22lr, I may want to do the operation at some point. My trigger isn't bad at all after following the manual's adjustment instruction, but having the home gun-smithing option to make it better would be good to know. So, do all the Ruger American series rifles have the same trigger assembly?

Thanks to those who would know, and would care to share the info.

reinert

That's a good question; ARE the trigger assemblies the same on all the Ruger American rifles? Rim and center-fire both? This info on trigger adjustment is good stuff, and as I have a Ruger American in .22lr, I may want to do the operation at some point. My trigger isn't bad at all after following the manual's adjustment instruction, but having the home gun-smithing option to make it better would be good to know. So, do all the Ruger American series rifles have the same trigger assembly?

Thanks to those who would know, and would care to share the info.

reinert
Try the spring removal on your Rimfire and see the difference it makes. Best thing is that it's completely reversible and completely safe! Just put the spring back in and you're back to factory trigger again. No "gunsmithing" involved. The guys at Rimfire Central all advocate for the spring removal method instead of cutting coils on it. It's probably too light for a dedicated hunting rifle, but it's amazing for target shooting.

Here's my 22mag group after I did the spring removal:
b5127637648f9b54323121963af0ca37.jpg

Thanks, Olympus, I've saved this info in case I want to try the modification down the trail; do appreciate the response. At this point, I'm o.k. with the pull on my RARimfire.

Back