Ruger American rifle in 308 review

That's kinda funny,,,quote from statik: I don't think you could ask more of a $360.00 rifle, and a $1000 rifle probably won't shoot 3x smaller groups. Didn't you say that you barely shot MOA with that rifle?
Sheeessssttt! I shoot 3x smaller groups with a $350.00 rifle,( when I don't screw it up)
I was hoping for some better news on it, maybe with some tweaking and good scope mounts and rings, and good glass, handloaded ammo, maybe then we'll get some tight groups with this rifle.;)

That's kinda funny,,,quote from statik: I don't think you could ask more of a $360.00 rifle, and a $1000 rifle probably won't shoot 3x smaller groups. Didn't you say that you barely shot MOA with that rifle?
Sheeessssttt! I shoot 3x smaller groups with a $350.00 rifle,( when I don't screw it up)

So you're saying that your $350 rifle shoots better than .33" at 100yds? Congratulations man, don't dare sell it! I will say that no one should expect .33MOA out of any factory rifle and definitely not at this price point.

-StaTiK-

Rifle

Don't have one but have heard very good things about them. But we can go get a Mossberg MVP in .223 and a S&W Gov from Gunsmoke gunshop in Colorado for ready the cheap unbelievable price of $8000.00 bucks for that money should run down there and get several. What a crook.

Thanx Statik, I guess, really, I am pretty lucky, the rifle I'm talking about is a Savage 110, .270 win., and before I pillar-bedded it I developed an awesome handload for it, and shot a group at one hundred yds, that was right at 1/4 moa.
There is a thread I posted this attachment about it called "Whats your best reload for the .270 Winchester).;)

Last edited:
Shot my American in 308 for the 1st time today, very happy! It was kind if windy, but it was coming in almost directly from behind, just slightly from my right. Wind started getting progressively worse, was shooting cheapy 150gr FMJ to get it close. By the time I was ready to break out the goody Federal Matchking 168gr BTHPs, the wind was starting to kick up the dust.

Had to time shots between gusts, but managed to get 3 good rounds off at 100 yds. 1st one was high, made a correction to bring it down, got off two more shots. Pic:

100yds.jpg

edit: detailed review here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5109851#post5109851

Last edited:
I finally got to put my hands on an American yesterday . I ordered one in .308 ! That rifle fits me like a custom , if Ruger would introduce a youth model of this rifle , it would be a huge seller for them ! For some reason , Ruger pretty much ignores the youth centerfire market .

If the forearm is free-floating when not on a sandbag, but touches when resting on the bag, I suggest opening up the channel in the forearm. It's too easy for you to sight in with the sandbag but have your support hand in a different location when in the field. It's possible to be a bit off for your point of aim/impact.

At any rate, I always set up at the bench with the front sandbag in the same location as where I place my support hand when in the field. Consistency. :)

I don't think ruger is any more skeered than anyone else.........

:D

here's that savage I ordered........I put 15 rounds through it. All was well except:

it would not eject properly. It would pull the spent cartridge from the chamber and then lay it on top of the next round to jam if I did not tip the rifle over on it's side and "dump" the spent cartridge before chambering the next round.........so back to the smith tomorrow.......but it's pretty nice except for that.........I think it's a faulty ejector clip (I hope)........

Attachments

• P6150072.JPG
    P6150072.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 120
  • P6150075.JPG
    P6150075.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 108
  • P6150078.JPG
    P6150078.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 106
I saw an earlier question about triggers on some of these lower cost rifles. I can't complain about the trigger on my Vanguard series 2. I know what a harsh, creepy trigger feels like. I don't see that with my rifle. It seems to be crisp, smooth and very light. Evaluating hole placement downrange, I have no need or incentive to improve anything.

longer range shots

Just got back from the range . I was able to reach out a bit today. We had targets set at 100 , 200 , and 300 Yards . At 300 yds I had a sting of 3 1/2 " . Thats just over 1 MOA and im OK with that . Im not the best shooter and I beleave the gun can shoot better then 1 MOA at 300 yds. The gun out shoots me right now . Soon I hope to out shoot the gun .

Some say if I had better glass I would shoot better . Like I said Im using a tasco wold class 3-9x40 and I like it . I would love to put a $500 to $1,000 scope on it and see if I or the gun shoots any better .

Bottom line the gun is worth the money

Don't think that buying better glass will shrink your groups because if you're getting roughly 1MOA, it probably will not.

Buying a more expensive scope gives you better optical clarity, warranty, and durability (among other things). A $1000 scope won't make your 1MOA rifle into a 1/2 MOA rifle.

Look around and you'll hear funny stories of the thousand ways cheap scopes can crap out on you. It happened to me one time; I actually broke off the vertical cross hair in one of my scopes... you'd think I would learn my lesson.

-StaTiK-

Don't think that buying better glass will shrink your groups because if you're getting roughly 1MOA, it probably will not.

If you can afford better glass and mount/rings, give it a try. It worked for me. My T/C Venture with cheap weaver rings and a leupold rifleman scope was upgraded to Burris Signature Zee rings and Zeiss Conquest scope and the group shrank from 1-1.5" to .55-.75" with same handloads. Not a big deal for a hunting rifle, but it does make a difference IMO.

If you can afford better glass and mount/rings, give it a try. It worked for me. My T/C Venture with cheap weaver rings and a leupold rifleman scope was upgraded to Burris Signature Zee rings and Zeiss Conquest scope and the group shrank from 1-1.5" to .55-.75" with same handloads. Not a big deal for a hunting rifle, but it does make a difference IMO.

then I'd say it was the rings and not the scope :)
-StaTiK-

StaTiK said:
Look around and you'll hear funny stories of the thousand ways cheap scopes can crap out on you. It happened to me one time; I actually broke off the vertical cross hair in one of my scopes... you'd think I would learn my lesson.

I once had a crosshair turn into an X between shots. Still, I don't learn either. I very seldom pay more than $200.00 for a scope.

Great Gun

I just recently bought a Ruger American Rifle in .308. I own 2 Ruger M77 Mk2 one in .270 and one in .22-250. I am very impressed with the performance of this gun. For the money I dont think there is a better rifle for hunting. I can shoot half inch groups at 100 yards with this gun with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x42. It isnt as smooth as the MK2's but shoots almost as tight of groups. For someone just wanting a rifle to hunt with and some balloon shooting at 300 yds its a great gun. I use burris Scopes on most of my guns, but on the Tasco subject i have a 3x9x50 Tasco World Class on a Remington mdl. 788 in .22-250 that has for years shot amazingly tight groups at very long ranges. There is nothing wrong with saving money and buying a tasco. Money is hard enough to come by now-a-days. I have shot the Savage Axis and cant say anything bad about it because it shot good as well. I wish the American rifle would come availiable in a .223 or a lighter varmint round.

Ammo used was federal gold metal match 168 gran .A quarter could cover the group . ... we did notice that if the barrel started to get hot the accuracy droped off
I would test again with different ammo. I noticed the same effect with the exact same ammo only using a Tikka T3 stainless. I immediately followed up with my usual 150 grain soft points; accuracy of the rifle was still perfect. Switch back to Federal Premium Gold Metal 168 gr and accuracy was terrible again. Switch to some reloads from a local reloader, no problem with accuracy.

Gary

Thanks for the review, this thread has helped me make up my mind. Must look into this rifle.

Hey I finally got to pick one of those dudes up and it's light.. real light.... Fit me pretty nice, maybe next year I put one of these dudes in my guncase.

Back