Ruger American Predator vs Savage 11 Scout

Many of my rifles can easily handle 300-500 yards.

How often do they do it?
...Maybe every three to five years, when we have an impromptu contest and try smacking "that white rock under the Juniper clump" when the varmint population turns out to be taking a multi-day nap.

The most impressive showing this year?...
A Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal, shooting 90 gr HBWCs in .32 H&R.
It beat the pants off most of the rifles, even though it shouldn't have even been in the running.
...Better to be lucky than good. ;)

Handle your priorities before you expand into wants, desires, and fictional scenarios.

Yeah, I'd like a .308 that can shoot out to 300-500 yards, for target shooting and counter sniping operations, but I don't want it to weight 10 lbs.

Fair enough, you are the OP and I mis-understood. I also prefer lighter guns and dont actually own the Savage I was suggesting. I like the American, for a light weight, no worry, hunting gun. I like the design of the action. I will probably be buying a centerfire American sometime.

Just to add:

The 308 Win will shoot a lot farther then 500 yards. When I shot for the Guard, my best 1000 yard score were with a 308 in a Super Match M1A.

My primary rifle for Precision Rifle Matches is a Target Model 70 in 308, if I don't blow the wind calls I've got good hits to 1400. But my load goes sub sonic at 1100, so that the more realistic limit.

If you decide on the Ruger American, put a brake on it. I did for my 6.5 RAP and got one ordered for my 204. They help with muzzle jump and for a light RAP they will eat up a lot of recoil.

The barrel threads are the same (5/8 X 24) as the AR 10s and there are plenty of those at MidwayUSA for not very much money. It was an AR 10, 308 brake I put on my 6.5 RAP, it makes a difference.

I handled the Ruger Scout, I was not impressed.

Bolt not as good as the Savage, did not feel right.

Seems a bit odd to be comparing a RAP to a Savage Scout.

My brother had a RAP, I think he sold it, not all that impressed with it.

I'll take back what I said. I'm not decided on the Ruger Predator, I'm just leaning towards it.

I don't care for the long eye relief scope set up the Savage has, I'm never going to own another rifle that will use an LER, so getting a rifle that would require me to buy a dedicated scope for that I'll never be able to use on another rifle is a waste, but I like everything else about the rifle.

I never did get the appeal of the Scout thing so to me that's a good decision.

There are a lot of good Savage Target runs and or LE that have heavy barrels that would work well.

The caliber range is pretty good.

TruthTellers said:
I'll take back what I said. I'm not decided on the Ruger Predator, I'm just leaning towards it.

Don't like scout scope? Neither do I, but like the rifle. Real easy to fix the scope mount:

ETA: I did remove the muzzle brake as well, though. Only way I could avoid further damage to my hearing. Increased volume of my tinnitus even w/electronic ear muff. Tolerable w/muffs and plugs but still felt concussion in my fillings! :(

Regards,
hps

Back