Ruger American Predator vs Savage 11 Scout

TruthTellers

Now that I know Savage's rebate offer for their .308 Scout is genuine, it lowers the price of the rifle to about $475 right in the same ballpark price the Ruger Predator is.

I've been wanting a .308 bolt gun for a long time and I think that time to get it is now, but which one would between the two would be best for me to buy?

My use will mostly be a long range plinking and target shooting rifle. Not for competition, just for fun and to see how good I can get at longer range shooting. Also plan to use this in the event we have a nuclear war with North Korea.

I do plan to handload the .308.

What I like about the Savage Scout is that it has factory installed iron sights and the rear sight is installed about as far back as possible, thus increasing the sight radius way more than the Savage Hog Hunter.

Ruger American doesn't have iron sights.

The Savage Scout also has a cheek riser installed in case I want to put a long eye relief scope on it. I've never shot a rifle with a scope mounted so far away from my eye, so I don't know how much I'd use that cheek riser, but it's nice it's there.

The Ruger American doesn't have that either.

So, what do you gentleman think about the two rifles and which one is better?

I DON"T like forward mounted scopes, their only useful purpose is on rifles where it is impossible to mount conventionally. The only reason Cooper specified forward mounted optics was to use stripper clips to quickly reload military rifles he converted to his Scout concept. They are unnecessary on a rifle with detachable magazines.

I had an older version of the Savage at one point. I removed the rear sight and mounted the scope conventionally. MUCH better. In 40+ years of shooting I've not found a single situation where irons are better than optics. Never had a decent scope fail, but have had iron sights fail. I could care less if I ever own another rifle with irons. A low powered 1-4X20 scope on 1X is faster on target compared to irons, dot sights or forward mounted scopes anyway. They also work better in low light than any of the others too.

I currently have the Predator in 308 and 6.5 Creed. I paid $389 OTD including taxes for each. They shoot incredibly well with a wide range of ammo. To me the only advantage the Savage Scout has is the ability to buy 10 round magazines. The Rugers are 4 rounds in 308, but I have a couple of spares.

FWIW, I'd still seriously consider the new version of the Savage just for that capability. But I'd zero the rear sight, then remove it and mount the scope conventionally. I could replace the rear sight if I were ever inclined. Not likely. I keep hoping someone will offer a 10 round magazine for the Ruger.

^ You made a lot of valid points. I'm not particularly interested in the long eye relief scope situation either, but I feel it's something I can work with.

The 10 rd magazines are great. If Ruger made some for the American and maybe included an American model with iron sights, I'd get that over the Savage, but that's not the case and with how good a price the Savage Scout is going for now, I don't think holding my breath on Ruger to give me what I want is a good idea.

They've had years to come out with larger capacity magazines for the American, but they seem to be obsessed with low capacity rotary magazines to the point where I believe Bill Ruger's ghost is now running the company. As for third party magazine manufacturers, I wouldn't trust there stuff to work, even for a bolt action rifle.

Also plan to use this in the event we have a nuclear war with North Korea.

.308 is not enough for stopping a nuclear missle. For that you need at least a .338 Lapua. :D

On the more serious side, if the price is in the same ballpark, I'd lean toward the Savage over the Ruger. Nothing wrong with the Ruger (I have an American in .308), but I just think Savage makes a little better rifle in general.

I don't like Savage rifles.
The details don't matter. I just don't like them.
I will, however, admit that Savage makes pretty decent barrels and most Savages shoot pretty well.

Iron sights are nice, but you're never going to use them.
Really, you'll never use them.
Sit back and think about it for a while. Even if the scope fails in your 'end of days' scenario, you won't have the tools on hand to remove the scope.
You'll never use the iron sights.
And the scout scope mount? Total garbage for your intended uses. Long eye relief sucks massively on a rifle, due to the limited field of view (among other things). Can you get used to it? Yes. Is it worth it? No.

Just buy the Ruger American.
They have excellent barrels, they're cheaper, your scope will be cheaper, you don't have to deal with a rebate, and they have the best customer service in the industry backing them (should you, for whatever reason, have a problem -- Savage custom service isn't even close).

I like the Predator as a hunting gun. I think its a little light weight for the OP's intended purpose. The value/price is excellent. I am sorry, I cannot think of a heavier and more accurate option in the American price range. Maybe a heavier American?

I am not familar with the savage line, not by numbers they use.There was a very good performing Savage 308, on sale at Cabelas, with a heavy weight barrel and around $400 a while back. Last summer. Worth 500 all day, if that's the regular price. I saw two of those at my club shooting 1/2 moa with handloads.

I'm 72 yrs. old and been hunting and shooting pretty much from my early teens. I've never found an instance where I had to remove a failed scope to use iron sights. I sort of equate this to a scenario like where the guys that will only buy very common cartridge guns...with an argument that in the event of needing more ammo on a hunt they could find it easier. I have never gone on a hunt without enough ammo.
I have a Ruger American, Ruger Scout, and a Savage. I would opt for the American for all around use, although the Scout is a darned nice rifle too. I took the rear iron sight off the Scout and threw it in a drawer somewhere in my shop.

Well, stony we are of the same generation and I have had my scope fog up (on the outside) or get packed with snow and ice. Now, I did not remove the scope, but went back out with a different gun. Worse case, a shotgun. Or worse yet, just call it a day.

I agree on the American for all round, but; seems the OP was looking for long range shooting at targets of some sort. I suppose you dont need a lot of weight ... just saying if I am firing a lot of 308 for accuracy, a heavy barrel will heat up slower, be more pleasant and more forgiving to shooting position and technique. That all translates too more good hits = more satisfaction.

Never used the Savage so I don't know anything about them.

I do have two RAPs, one in 204 and one in 6.5 CM. I'm highly impressed, they are super accurate, even after extended firing. Hard to beat it for a light weight hunting rifle, or even long range target rifle (in the 6.5 anyway).

Just got the 204, Sighted it in Monday and spent yesterday helping a guy remove prairie dogs off his 30K acre ranch he just bought. The RAP in 204 went all day, hundreds of rounds without a hick up.

I use to worry about needing iron sights incase something happens to the scope. I don't think its a problem with todays scopes. I've pretty much went to all Vortex, they are quite rugged, as most of the modern quality scopes.

True the RAP only comes with the 4 round (308-6.5 CM) or 5 round (204-223) but I've never had the need for more then that on a bolt gun. For my use I never needed more then 4 rounds for hunting, and in PD shooting I find my self single loading anyway.

BUT, Somebody is making 10 round mags for the RAP. Don't know who, because, like I said I don't need one, but I have read post about it on the FB Ruger American Group. They also make a cheek riser for the RAP.

If interested check out the Ruger American Group on FB.

I also (actually its my wife's rifle) a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM. The RAP 6.5 shoots about as good, but its a lot lighter for hunting at 1/3 the cost. But if you set, and don't have to hump it, the RPR is a darn nice rifle.

Still like my Model 70 Winchesters better then all of them though.

The Ruger American Predator is a sleeper. Amazinging accurate. I also have two Ruger Americans, one in .223 and one in .243. Getting my 13 year old a .30-06 soon as well.

The aftermarket is chasing it pretty good which should show folks that it is legit. MagPul Hunter stock will be out soon. Boyd's already makes them. There is also a company that makes bottom metal and metal box magazines.

I am eagerly waiting to get my hands on a MagPul stock which, for $300 gets a better stock and better magazines.

I handled an American Ranch Rifle in 450 BM and it took a lot of will power for me to put it back down. I have no need for that thing, yet...

I just hope I dont keep seeing those. If you know what I mean.

I dont know if I would call these Americans sleepers. Definitely popular. Seem to get elected rifle of the year by some one every year now.

MarkCO said:
I am eagerly waiting to get my hands on a MagPul stock which, for $300 gets a better stock and better magazines.
$700 total for American and the Magpul stock puts the price higher than that of the Savage Scout with a rebate.

I do like that Magpul is making magazines for Ruger American that hold 5 or 10 rds tho.

Well, stony we are of the same generation and I have had my scope fog up (on the outside) or get packed with snow and ice. Now, I did not remove the scope, but went back out with a different gun. Worse case, a shotgun. Or worse yet, just call it a day.

I agree on the American for all round, but; seems the OP was looking for long range shooting at targets of some sort. I suppose you dont need a lot of weight ... just saying if I am firing a lot of 308 for accuracy, a heavy barrel will heat up slower, be more pleasant and more forgiving to shooting position and technique. That all translates too more good hits = more satisfaction.

My solution was to get raised rings on my 7mm back in the day.

Never had to use them, but I had backup on the gun.

Hard to find a gun with sights you can that with these days.

I didn't care about the lack of a great cheek rest, never made any difference hunting. I only missed once and that was failure to believe the trajectory and overcompensated. 450 to 600 yards standing. Grazed the back and opened up to the spine, just not close enough. .

price

I dunno about the price you quote on a Ruger Predator....seems high. On a recent trip out of 'Bama, I found them for $379 and $369 cash price.... and have had $389 and $399 quoted to me locally in the past week.

Perhaps the short barreled .308 is priced a bit higher, my prices reflect the 22" rifle in .223.

I have an early Savage scout, without all the bells and whistles of the new model, which I see are largely cosmetic. A properly mounted scoutscope (well forward) is low on the rifle, of modest power, and have a small bell. There should be no need for an adjustable comb. The flash hider adds length, but I admit to putting one on a short .308 just 'cause I could. The scout was intended as a GP rifle out to about 30o yds or so....400 likely max. Locating a target afield, whether game or human threat, past that under less than range conditions is pretty difficult, period. What I am saying is that a "Scout Rifle" is not a long range set up, nor was it intended that way. Its short tube robs velocity, and the traditional scoutscope will not resolve smaller targets at long range....they are GP rifles, not target or varmint rigs.
NOTE:, the Scoutscope is a different kettle of fish, and some like them, and many do not. Before I committed to a scout set up, I would try and handle and shoot a few scout rigs.

The Predator, especially the short .308 model as demo'd in jmr40's photo, is likely more user friendly for many folks, especially those used to running a scope on the receiver in the more traditional manner. I suspect you can acquire one for about $100 bucks less than the Savage, even counting the rebate.

I was lukewarm on the American series when they came out, but am seriously considering one in .223 these days, and if jmr40 keeps running that photo, I may have to have one of those too!!!

Seems most everyone I've consulted on this, including friends and family, have said get the American, so if everyone's said it, that's what I'll do. It was on my list before I heard about Savage's rebate offer.

Savages biggest advantage is you can change barrels on it with a few tools.

If you plan on a lot of target shooting, you will wear out the throat and then its time for a new gun or re-barrel and that can cost as much as a new gun.

The heavier (Varmint type) Savage barrels are decent, the pencil ones while I am told you can get them to shoot takes a lot of re-load work.

I do know the Acu trigger is a very good trigger and you can adjust down to 2.5 lbs. I have 3. That's about $100 to change on any other gun and no need on this one.

How Ruger compares these days I do not know.

I can't tell what barrel that has, if you can get end measurements I can tell you.

It looks like a short varmint contour and that is indeed a decent barrel.

If you want to keep an open possibly down the road, the Savage is defiantly the better way to go.

Target shooting the Savage would likely be better

Field use you likely would not tell the difference.

I have a lot of Savage experience and no current Ruger.

I think the Savge is overall the better buy and on sale more so. The following is a nice comparison and is in line with my general thinking, price and the trigger being high on the list with what I think is a heavier barrel.

http://www.range365.com/gun-test-scout-rifle#page-8

It does weigh more but I suspect that is in the barrel and that a good thing.

Last edited:
Savages biggest advantage is you can change barrels on it with a few tools.
The American is also a barrel-nut-style design.
Savage may still have an advantage in the number of companies making 'pre-fit' barrels, but many companies are now offering them for the Ruger American, as well.

barrel nut

Yeah, the Savage Hog held an attraction due to the barrel attachment sytem.

If indeed I get to gopher and praire dog hunt, (.223) and shoot as much as they say might be possible, I could be stupid and fry and barrel and then re-barrel a Savage fairly simply.

I dunno 'bout the Ruger Predator. Its taper seems more like a sporter arrangement....it may well be heavier than the std "American" but it does not come close to the Hog Rifle. But.....

The $100 plus bucks I save on the Predator, could come pretty close to closing the gap on the cost of rebarreling a Hog Rifle. I could about go out and get another Predator and break even me thinks.

Not exactly, the advantage is the OP want to target shoot at longer ranges. and this savage is a more appropriate than a 6 pound Ruger American
Yeah, I'd like a .308 that can shoot out to 300-500 yards, for target shooting and counter sniping operations, but I don't want it to weight 10 lbs.

Back