Ruger...Ain't what they used to be.

changed

I too likely own more Rugers, combined, than any other make. They are all older guns, from the "old Ruger" era, or at least were initially sold at that time.
I've bought most of them used.

I can't speak to the quality issue, as I've not bought any new Rugers in near 20 yrs. But what I see (maybe sense) is that Ruger does not make the same kind of "interesting" guns. Now that is subjective, for what one shooter likes, another may not, but those guns I bought for a reason, and others did too. Ruger offered designs that were not offered, or not affordable, from the other makers. Consider:

-Rugers first long gun was a .44 SA carbine. NObody has offered anything like either model of the SA .44 since
-Ruger produced, and still produces, a very practical and popular SA revolver line, but when the B-hawk first came out, Colt was turning its back on the design
-back when white line spacers, funky Monte Carlo stock, and all manner of eye popping stock features were popular, Ruger went head to head with the big two makers with a simple, conservative, traditional stock on the M77, and they sold well
-repeaters were the rage, but Ruger introduced a high quality single shot in the No1 series, and a nifty carbine in the No3
-long before the AR craze landed, Ruger introduced the Mini14, there was nothing else like'em (nopbody had an AR) and they were very popular. Some guys still like'em. The Mini 30 followed.
-nearly certain that Ruger was the first firm to offer a domestically made bolt rifle in 7.62x39
-nearly certain the Ruger had the Super B available before the M29 in .44
-nobody (well excluding some special production from Colt) made a high quality BP/percussion revolver....except Ruger and the Old Army, for a number of years.
-like'em or not, Ruger tried to enter the high quality double shotgun line with the Red Label and others.

I don't see that Ruger has had that type of outside the box, forward thinking in its designs for some time. That said, the Ruger chassis rifle, and the belated support of the scout rifle (nice if they would have introduced that one when Cooper was touting it initially, 25 yrs ago) are interesting looks. And I bet they are selling.....but gun sales are up across the board I read. The American sells, and its a shooter, but pretty much another vanilla poly rifle. They are offering some different calibers, I wish they'd make it in .260 for general release.

I suspect Rugers labor costs are very high. I'm suspect of administrators who appear to be consumed with maximizing profit, by producing guns like everybody else makes, cheaper.

When I get on these rants, I usually get flamed.but the OP started it down this path, so here ya go.

NO PLACE for that kind of stuff (poppycock...)

I find that funny as hell.
Think what you like say what you can back up .
I see it and hear so I find it as a fact ?

I have something like ten Rugers total. Three of them are just a couple of years old. They all shoot fine. Two of the three have stiffer triggers than I prefer, but they are functional and accurate.

I would not send an SP 101 back to Ruger without confirming the suspected sight flaw. Trying other ammunition and letting others shoot the revolver should provide additional evidence there is a sight flaw or demonstrate there is some other cause for the results of your shooting the new SP 101. I am not suggesting your shooting is poor -- I am just suggesting further "testing" to help determine the cause of grouping to the right. It certainly may be a misaligned front sight, but a little more "testing" would be helpful.

In the case of my SP101, the fact that it's sights we're not properly regulated was obvious to me. One range trip was enough to prove it with consistent results using several different loads from different manufacturers.

I didn't care to mess with fixing it...I sold it to someone who didnt care much about 25yd accuracy in a snub.
Replaced it with a 2.5" Model 19 for a while, before arriving at the 3" GP100. This revolver shows Ruger can and does make a fine revolver. The trigger is fantastic, the sights regulated properly, and accuracy is fantastic.

-nearly certain the Ruger had the Super B available before the M29 in .44

Very close, but no cigar. Ruger did beat S&W to the market with their .44Magnum, by several months (5-6?) but it wasn't the Super Blackhawk. It was the original Blackhawk. The flattop, smaller frame one. Hit the market in 56, the Super Blackhawk didn't show up until 59. Rumor had it that Ruger was concerned about the longevity of the smaller frame gun in .44 Mag, and made the Super B to replace it.

Both models were produced until 62, when the Blackhawk .44 was dropped.

Ruger had a gift for finding niches or even wider spots that were not being filled, and putting something well made, durable, and relatively inexpensive in them.

Going from a start up to being one of the "big 3" gunmakers in the US, in a single man's lifetime is nothing to be scoffed at.

I have a SP101 3" and I have observed the same with those not familiar with the gun in double action. In double action, it is a long pull. If you don't have a proper grip or you jerk the trigger....righties are going to pull up and to the right.

They are accurate guns.

I had a standard model 10-22 that was way more picky about ammo than I thought it should have been. My old Stevens 87B and my son's MP 15-22 will eat ammo that that Ruger would have nothing to do with. I was a little disappointed.

That's the reason

I don't buy any fixed sight revolver. Never know where the reloads will print because the factory regulates factory loads.

I guess I have a totally different perspective--that being...take it down to the garage and adjust the sights. Done.

Hard for me to appreciate why someone would put their gun in the mail and be all upset...rather than just get out a punch and hammer. I'd prefer to do the work myself than trust it would magically come back from the factory any less f'd up than it left. :)

I like Ruger guns a lot...own more Rugers than any other brand.

BUT...my last 3 new Rugers have had problems. I bought 2 New Vaqueros...one was returned last Christmas...after only about 250rds, due to the action locking up. It was fixed and returned in about 12 days.

Well, I was at the range last week...guess what?...the other New Vaquero did the same thing...except, it took me quite awhile to finally get the cylinder out so that I could get the live rounds out. I have not called Ruger yet...but plan to on Monday, so they can get it repaired.

I also bought a 45colt/45acp convertible Blackhawk that the acp cylinder would not rotate with rounds chambered...headspace was wrong and cartridge bases would strike recoil shield.

I have bought 5 new Ruger guns in the last 3 yrs...I have have problems with 3 of them...not a good record, in my book.

I've bought 5 Rugers over the last two years: SP101, LCR 38, GP100 4", and 2 Ruger Blackhawks in .44 Spl and .357. The Sp101 was sent back to Ruger 3 times within the first 6 months I owned it. I sold it after its last trip to Ruger. The LCR has been back twice for repair, once for the cylinder coming off the crane! I still have it because I like the gun. I no longer own the GP 100, but it went back for repair twice and the Blackhawk .357 once. I still own the .44, .357 Blackhawks and LCR. I have to say that my favorite gun of all that I own (which includes a Charter Bulldog which is fast becoming a favorite!) is the .357 Blackhawk. It is accurate and a delight to shoot and load for.

I bought Ruger products because I once owned a Single Six Convertible in the 80s and new it was a well made gun. Ruger's reputation had been made with me then. When I purchased new revolvers, my first choice was Ruger because of that reputation. Now I am not keen on purchasing another Ruger because of my experiences even though I tend to like their revolvers over other manufacturers' products. It is hard to for me to not like a Ruger firearm. Initially, I tried to chalk my experience up to just bad luck, but when you send 4 new guns back for QC issues, then something is not right about the manufacturing process. Ruger is producing shoddy products and I hate to say it.

Bongo Boy,
How would a drift punch help adjust sights on an SP101? No dove tails that I no of, unless they changed something. My SP101 had a pined front sight and a milled groove in the top strap for the rear, it was one of the older ones though.

ChiefTJS said:
It's not just Ruger,......................... It's manufacturing in general, cost cutting and lack of training is pervasive.
Yep. Many companies have decided it's cheaper to use the end consumer as the Quality Control Department than it is to pay someone in-house.

Back