Ruger...Ain't what they used to be.

marano

I recently purchased a new RUGER SP101. It is the first new Ruger I have purchased since 1999. If I could have found a used older one I would have rather had it than a new one. I took a chance with a new one and was rewarded with one that shoots four to five inches to the right. It is a fixed sighted model. I have numerous older model fixed sighted Rutgers that shoot dead on or very close. I am sending this one back. I hope they will make it right. Four to five inches off of point of aim is just unacceptable, How do they let something like that out of the factory??

4-5" right at what range?
How many types of ammunition did you shoot through it?
Are you sure the new trigger wasn't stiffer than your well worn guns resulting in muscling it a bit?

These two represent my oldest and latest Rugers, a 1958 vintage .357 Magnum Flat Top, and a 2015 vintage .44 Special Flat Top. The .357 stands at just over 17,000 rounds fired through it:

And this .45 Colt Blackhawk with over 20,000 rounds through it:

Never have I had to send a Ruger back to the factory except for oneon which I split the barrel.

As to other makes, I have had more problems with an early S&W Model 29 which was often in the shop due to mechanical breakdowns.

I'm sorry for your problems, but every manufacturer experiences problems, its not unique with Ruger.

Bob Wright

pretty sure.

Yeah I own more Rugers than any other brand. 15 at last count. I have never had trouble with one either. Of course most of mine have been purchased used or way back in the day before they started making plastic guns and having all the issues. Before the old man died. I am pretty sure it is not me. i have been shooting handguns for about forty years now and I do not exclusively shoot Rugers or just used well worn guns. I once bought a Charter .44 that did the same thing, shot five inches to the right. I will get it back to Ruger and hopefully they can fix it.

I had a 3" SP101 that was similarly off. At 25yds, I had to aim at the top right corner of the target sheet to hit the bullseye. Sold it.
I took a chance on a 3" GP100 with fixed sights. It shoots directly to POA.

Had one in the shop that did the same thing. It had a ramp front sight and I changed it out to a white dot and it shot dead on. Thought I would have to turn the barrel a bit but didn't have to.

How many types of ammunition did you shoot through it?

+1, I'd be doing that first before worrying about sending it back, as well as having a friend shoot it to see if he gets the same result

It's not just Ruger, I have a Smith back at the factory right now for basically the same thing. It's manufacturing in general, cost cutting and lack of training is pervasive.

Four to five inches off of point of aim is just unacceptable, How do they let something like that out of the factory??

I believe the factory test firing is a function check, and not done for accuracy.

And, while I'm not doubting your skills (I also have 40+ years handgunning), it still might be "you", and not the gun, exactly.

"You" in this case cover your aiming, your shooting, and the ammo used. We don't all look through the sights the same way. Your trigger pull might be throwing things off, but since you are an experienced shooter, I won't list that as a high probability.

The ammo used (and that particular gun) might be the entire culprit. You might send it back to Ruger, and they test fire it with their ammo and it might be spot on. Not saying that WILL happen, but it COULD happen.

A friend of mine had an SA "clone" (I forget the brand its been years now..) in .357Mag. The gun was a pure delight shooting 158gr .38 Spl (at 850fps). Perfect point of aim and small groups at 25yds. EVERY .357 load we put in it shot a FOOT low and RIGHT, in the hands of 4 different people.

This was an extreme case, I've never personally seen another one that much off, but I have seen numerous fixed sight guns that shoot one load (or three) well, and another load lands more than a little bit "off".

This is the reason I prefer adjustable sight guns. I almost never use them to adjust for distance or wind in the field, I only adjust them if the initial zero needs adjustment, and use hold off in the field. But, it is a great comfort to me knowing I have the ability to adjust the sights easily and quickly, IF I ever need to.

In your case, I would #1, try different loads (both bullet weights and manufacturers). If you find one (or three or whatever) that does shoot to point of aim, you really can't say its all the gun's fault, and sending it in MIGHT not fix the issue with the ammo that shoots badly off point of aim.

#2, have others shoot it, just as a verification that it isn't you.

If that is done, and nothing goes to point of aim for anybody, then the gun is definitely due for a trip to the shop.

Good Luck! and let us know how it goes.

"...Four to five inches off of point of aim is just unacceptable..." Change ammo. Probably the grips too. Fixed sighted revolvers are like that. Really not about 'new' or 'old' Rugers.
Mind you, since the MBA's took over, Rugers haven't been quite the same. Out of the box triggers are poor due to Ruger getting sued years ago. Frivolous law suits scare MBA's stupid.

I bought an lcr9 over the summer that had to go back to Ruger twice....for the exact same problem. They sent it back to me in the exact same condition they received it. It wasn't even functional.

That surprised me. The csr was polite and asked if there was anything else they could do to help make it right. I asked for a 5 or 10 extra moon clips to which he agreed and even stated they always include extras with a returned lcr9.

I received a total of 2 or 3 moon clips after 2 trips.

However.....that is th only Ruger with which I have had issues and that is out of about 12.

As stated above, be sure to try out different ammo and make sure the trigger isn't getting the better of you.

As much as I hate to say it, I think Ruger is going with the flow, changing with the times.

Quality and durability ride in the trunk while the bottom line sits up front and enjoys the view.

First rate CS for second rate products appears to be their new MO.

At least they haven't moved to China.

Sorry to hear this Marano.

Which SP101 did you buy?

Mine is the 2.25" 357 mag and it shoots dead on. I changed the grips immediately when I bought it but I did have a problem with the SA which Ruger fixed to it's specifications which was exactly what I needed and wanted. Good luck on this really.

Last edited:
The percentage of new Rugers that need to go back for any reason is getting to be in the high 40% . This from a lot of gun shop owners I know and trust .

The last Ruger I bought was my carry gun, an LCR-X. It's not exactly a "tack driver" but I've had zero problems with it.

This target was shot at 25yds using American Eagle 158gn soft points. The four shot group was achieved by aiming about 2" above the top right corner. The lone shot high right was the first shot, held further out to get on the paper. Similar results with other ammo.

I've owned a few fixed sight revolvers...Charter, S&W J-frame, Model 10, even an H&R 22lr. They all shot pretty much to POA.
And my current GP100 3" is fantastically accurate for a fixed sight gun.

I've seen plenty of ammo vary in the height of impact in relation to sight picture...not much in the way of windage.

"The percentage of new Rugers that need to go back for any reason is getting to be in the high 40% . This from a lot of gun shop owners I know and trust ."

Rubbish.

KEYBEAR said:
The percentage of new Rugers that need to go back for any reason is getting to be in the high 40% . This from a lot of gun shop owners I know and trust .

My Uncle sez your 'gun shop owners' are wrong...

We both have about the same amount of evidence...

:D

However, if your 'gun shop owners' are correct, that means Ruger would be seeing on the order of 400,000 guns returned a year...

I believe I can safely say that is poppycock...

;)

Back