Ruger 77/44 and 77/357 no longer

competitive

I can understand the 77/357 and the 77/44 models not selling.....I could never really understand why they released them in the first place. I never had a use for a .17, so the 77/.17 is not really a loss to me either.

The 77/22 on the other hand was one of those interesting rifles....an adult .22lr if you will, that filled a void for a quality .22 bolt rifle that was still reasonably affordable. I am sorry to see that one go.

That will also leave the Hornet market wide open, but I suppose not many folks are interested in the Hornet these days....but at least you can reload the Hornet, as rimfire ammo has climbed in cost to make a Hornet more attractive.

The more I think about it, I suspect I am disappointed in the contemporary US gun industry overall, and I guess current consumer tastes. Just too much of an old school sort of guy I guess. I'd rather have one walnut/blue or even stainless 77/22, than 3 Ruger Americans in .17, .22lr and .22 mag. Similarly, most of the Savage poly stock line of .22's and lightweight varminters holds no appeal. Again, I'd rather have 0ne 77/Hornet, than 3 of the ugly Savage 23s (?). the walking varminter rifle they (Savage) sell in the Hornet and .223 (?) is just down right ugly.

a void for a quality .22 bolt rifle that was still reasonably affordable
Just like the poster above, most people feel the CZ rimfires fill that place with a lot more value than the Ruger. Lower price, and most consider it better finished. Do you disagree? It certainly has earned a better reputation for consistent accuracy. Ruger 77 filled the "American made" niche and I believe that segment of the market is shrinking.

Never really understood why ppl get all upset when something is taken out of production if they already have one. If it's that good, you'd have gotten another. If you waited this long to get one (they've been available for years now) and missed the boat, well... should've boarded that ship when it was at the dock. ;)

Being a publicly traded company they answer to their share holders. Shareholders generally are only interested in maximum profit and are short sighted. Ruger's answer to this is focus on what sells.

It is a shame the are dropping these from production, I wanted to pick up a 77/357 but never could find one below $700 locally. Maybe they will reintroduce them as take down rifles? Hell, i still miss my old pc40 but they never made them again either so...... why knows mabye the rar will come out in these calibers? That would work for me, then I could afford them lol.

Back