Ruger 77/44 and 77/357 no longer

if this image works

844324917aa909aa6560fe26f61d21fa.jpg

If not it says "TEMPORARY"

Some speculation over the web, that Ruger is doing a redesign and might even fix the miserable trigger. "Better get one now", maybe just a way to clear out the inventory, which will be in pretty low demand if the gun really is improved.

I agree it seems likely they will be re-introducing in the future, possibly with some modifications. May not be immediate, but I think those rifles have sold pretty well the last few years. Especially considering those variants probably share a lot of parts with other ruger bolt guns.

Maybe RAR-357 and RAR-44?

"I agree it seems likely they will be re-introducing in the future, possibly with some modifications. May not be immediate, but I think those rifles have sold pretty well the last few years. Especially considering those variants probably share a lot of parts with other ruger bolt guns.

Maybe RAR-357 and RAR-44?"

That would be my guess.

I've wanted a 77/357 for a long time, but the price was just a bit too high for me.
If they brought out a Ruger American 357 and sold for a reasonable price, I'd probably buy it.

I got the 77/357. Its a decent rifle. I think My marlin was better but I gifted it to my son.

My 77/357 has a 2X7 Leopold Scope and a Liberty Mystic X suppressor. I took it to a gun smith that specializes in bolt action rifles. He accessorized (glass bed the stock, free floated the barrel, lapped the barrel, Crowned the barrel, Matched the bolt and barrel face. it. Its fairly accurate but it will never be as accurate (especially at long range) as a true rifle round. With the right ammo its about 1MOA at 100 yards with generic ammo its a little more than 2 MOA.

Mine seems to like rounds in the 140-158 grain weight. It does ok with 180 and 200 grain but with 125s its not real accurate and with 110 grain bullets its pretty bad.

I've also never really considered one because of the price on the 77 series without a great reputation for accuracy. At the RAR price range it would be hard to pass by.

Considering lever actions in .357 and .44, I can see why bolt actions would not be as popular.

Yes I used to own a 77 in .44 magnum. It was ok, but I liked the leverguns more. So I sold it.

Deaf

Yeah, I can't believe they want to make a profit.
I doubt they will can the entire 77 series, but it would not surprise me at all if they limit production to one or two models a year like the No. 1. I don't think the 77 series has ever had that great of a reputation in the first place.

Ruger IS a for-profit business.
If the guns are not selling well enough to keep in production, like the levergun line they had, then they SHOULD be dropped in favor of something else that will.
Denis

I have a 77/357 and it's great but I know I overpaid for it. Sometimes wish I would've gotten a Winchester 94 instead.
I was shopping for a nice 22 bolt gun awhile back and decided against the 77/22 because of price. Went with a CZ 452 instead. Saved $300

Went with a CZ 452 instead. Saved $300
And there are very few who would criticize that decision. Many would say the CZ isa better rifle irrespective of price. If Ruger wants a higher finished rifle they need to redesign to compete.

Looks like these are the only 77 series still being made. Maybe they are moving over to Hawkeyes or American

I think the Hawkeyes are the same action as 77s. They just brand them differently. That may be part of the move. Ruger never seems to be able to decide if they should use non-descriptive animal related names or go with a numbering system like S&W.

selling

It is, of course, safe to say that every business is "for profit". I have not been to a Ruger board meeting, do not have a QBA or accounting degree, and made the worst grade in Economics (econ 30) than in any course I took.

What I believe I see with Ruger is a continuing decline in the appeal factor of their products, a similar drop in the number of their firearms that had such a factor, and a decided increasing willingness to axe products that do not meet their standard for profit. And I believe that Ruger's hunger for profit is substantial. Like higher than other businesses, by a lot.

This is me, no numbers, no special insight, simply what I believe I see in Ruger since Bill Ruger died. Despite R. Ruger's ramblings about magazine capacity and his little rifle (the Mini) Bill Ruger made interesting guns, firearms nobody else made, and people bought enough of them to keep him satisfied with the profit. But now numbers drives Ruger more the company more than ever.

As example, note the previous comment about their lever gun line. No market for lever guns you say? Funny how Henry continues to sell and expand their line, Browning still sells BLR's, and the import Winlin market thrives with the decline of Marlin and the passing of Winchester. The guns (levers) sell........simply not enough to satisfy Ruger.

As example, note the previous comment about their lever gun line. No market for lever guns you say? Funny how Henry continues to sell and expand their line, Browning still sells BLR's, and the import Winlin market thrives with the decline of Marlin and the passing of Winchester. The guns (levers) sell........simply not enough to satisfy Ruger.

If they had made a quality lever...it would have sold. All of the Ruger levers that I ever saw, were just short of being junk. Clunky actions and horrendous triggers.

Shootniron is right, the problem wasn't "lever guns" it was the one ruger marketed.
Just like no one is saying bolt action rifles are going to disappear. Ruger just doesn't have a product that is competitive for most of the market with the 77.

Ruger right now is running three plants, largely to capacity.
They are in business to make money.
If a model or line is not selling well enough to justify continued production, it's dropped.

Pretty simple & hardly unique to Ruger.

As far as leverguns go, I did not say there was no market for them, but I'll say now that there wasn't sufficient market for RUGER's leverguns to keep them going.
They simply were not selling in enough volume to bother keeping.

The company was surprised, they'd thought the levers would do better for them.

Ceasing levergun production was a consumer-based decision.
The market, by & large, was not interested.

Dropping .357 & .44 Mag bolt-guns is the same general situation.
Not enough sales.
Denis

Back