Ruger 77/357 project (with a few pictures)

Deja vu

I have been working on a suppressed 357 magnum rifle project for a while now. To be honest its still not done but its coming along nicely. The first thing I did was change out the trigger spring for a lighter spring. The trigger is now 3LBS. I also put a shim in the bolt to help with accuracy.

The next thing I did was I put a peep sight on the rear sight in order to change out the 10/22 style factory sight.
RearSight.jpg

The next thing I did was I got the barrel cut back to 16.25 inches and threaded in 1/2X28 and had a new replaceable fiber-optic front sight installed.
FrontSightandThreaded.jpg

I then took of the recoil pad and replaces it with a slip on limb saver in order to allow for stirring items in the butt stock. So far I have the extra lamps for the front sight, and a few Allen wrenches for working on the gun in the butt stock.

Then I came up with a few loads to shoot. For the heavy subsonic loads it likes the 250 grain Hunters choice bullets over power pistol at 1050FPS. It also likes the 35893 molded spire points but loaded a bit faster.
357bullets.jpg

77-357rifle.jpg

What do I still plan on doing to it? I plan on getting the stock painted in Digital winter camouflage. I plan to Install a silver Leupold scope on it with a CDS dial and Finally I have a suppressor on order. It is a Liberty Mystic X (In silver)

Once done ill post a finished product picture.

That looks like a fun project. I have a Mystic X and it is a great suppressor! I use mine on my 9mm glock and on my Ar15 in 223.

Now that's a great looking gun, thanks for sharing. I'm looking at a similar project but its been put on the back burner for a little bit. It looks like a great "total package". Did you cut and thread the barrel your self or was that part farmed out?

I farmed them out. I am not very mechanically inclined. The only thing cant change that I wish I could would be to make the rifle take the same mags as my Coonan. Still its fun.

Nice looking rifle, I've been thinking one of these would be a fun rifle as well. However, I don't like your rear sight. Having a rear aperture sight mounted that far forward as you've found out, needs to have more of a "ghost ring" to be able to pick up the front sight. What you need if you aren't going to mount optics on the rifle is a aperture sight that mounts to the rear receiver ring like the Ruger scope rings. NEGC makes an aperture sight that mounts to the rear of the receiver and will give you the increased accuracy that "Peeps" are good for.

I will eventually put a scope on as well. I am thinking a Leupold 2X7 but I wanted Iron sights as a back up.

I figured as much that's why I stated "if you aren't going to mount optics". For a rifle like this one I'm not sure you need optics in the form of a traditional scope. I like the idea of an illuminated rapid acquisition optical sights.

20131215_221442_zps34f5c270.jpg

sights

Taylorce1 beat me to the rear sight issue. You might well gain some accuracy by increasing the sight radius to the rear of the receiver as well.

I've posted more than once that the bolt .357's/.44's are not my thing, more preferring Malin levers. But I am gradually changing my attitude. The stainless/synthetic bolt action Rugers should be extremely durable and reliable, possibly more accurate than a lever too. Marlins alleged recent decline in quality is another thing. Just heresay there, but seems a common cry. And Ruger has the twist rate right on the .44's.

A question, will the Ruger bolt carbine reliably cycle .38 spl ammo?

Mine loves 38 specials. I have to admit that I have not shot a ton of them but it has taken all of them with out fail. The only thing it does not load well that I have found so far is full wad-cutters.

I have the 77/357 as well and it will feed .38spl RN all day. Doesn't cycle hollow points very well though. Have to load those by hand sometimes. Fun little rifle. This daggum forum is going to make me buy a can before its all said and done.

awesome gun, I want one now, I always toyed with the idea of getting one as I am not a lever gun fan. Only thing I would do that you didn't state would be maybe install an oversized (not crazy big) bolt knob, nothing crazy, just something a little bit more to grab a hold of.

recently got oneof these. really like it. im not sure why..but its cools as hek

the sights to me arent very good..i will scope it. probly my eyes not the brass front sight.

the magazine wont feed reliably. any manuf. 125 or 158. jhp or jsp. ruger said they will send me a new one and i will work on getting the old one to work.

the slop in the bolt just seems wrong..works ok..but i guess i need to order a shim kit for it.

the trigger is pretty nice tho. and its really cool

Deja vu,

Where did you get your sights? I am looking to change mine out also with a peep as I probably will not scope it and do not care for the factory installed ones.

tim pretty sure I have solved the feed problem and it isn't rugers mags..all 3 of mine didn't work. he ejector arm that grabs the btm of the rd and pulls it back after its fired has too much spring pressure on it. the rd cannot advance forward into the chamber because the ejector arm is too tight. take it off with by removing the little roll pin in the bolt. DONT LOOSE THE LITTLE SPRING. polish it or sandblast it smooth cuz the machining edges are sharp and the hang up the rd when it tries to advance into the chamber from the mag. the rd doesn't wanna go under the ejector arm cuz the spring is too tight or the sharp edges hang it up. then the rd wont go up the feed ramp or gets slightly cocked sideways and the bolt wont go forward either way. I sanded all the edges on mine and then I cut the spring coils. I took off 1 1/2 coils. it still ejects the rd just fine and the mag can easily push the rd up underneath the ejector arm w/o cocking it sideways.

Great project Deja Vu. :D

I do really like this little gun and how you have modified it is how I would want it configured.

I personally think that it is a brilliant idea. I posted a thread trying to talk about this same idea, a suppressed ruger .44 magnum bolt, super heavy bullets and sub sonic speeds, creating a quiet, super hard hitting sniper rifle for urban distances.

I believe that a well designed .44 round created to rupture and mushroom at sub sonic velocities, weighing 240 or even higher, would be at least as deadly as pretty much anything that is used in sniping at this time.

There was a ton of trash talking. I even ran into people who thought it was reinventing the wheel, since you can already get a beowulf in AR and put a can on it. The simple fact is that the only wa to make a better subsonic round is to add to the mass of the bullet, and to make it more effective on impact. A subsonic AAC or a subsonic .44?

I'm with you Brian. I've always wondered about suppressing a .44mag with a heavy bullet in a bolt gun. Just something that heavy moving that slow would hit like a sledgehammer.

people get all heated up about using the 410 handguns. A .410 slug is a bit smaller than a 44 magnum, and weighs less than half of what a .44 bullet does. The slugs are inaccurate, as reported, and when you take a round down to the levels obtained from a 4" pistol, reportedly about 1,200, the .410 pistol is inferior even to the .44 special. A .44 round, 220 grains at 1k fps will cause a lot more damage than a .410 slug at only 1,200 or so.

maybe this shouldn't be used as a sniping tool for police use. It would, however, be one fantastic hog sniper.

I'm not sure how one would actually choke a .44 magnum down to subsonic rifle velocities, but when you wanted the suppressor on your rifle, a .38 wadcutter load might be ideal.

Different rifle but similar concept...
Buddy of mine loaded up some starting loads of Clays powder using 38spl cases and a 158 gr lead semi-wadcutters for me. These things make less sound than a 22LR out of my Rossi 92 lever action. No hearing protection required for outdoor use.

Something to consider if you don't want to go the suppressor route.

I was home for vacation last week and I had 2 offers to buy my Rossi Lever Action off of me after shooting those rounds.

Back