Ruger 57 as concealed carry weapon

How would you rate the Ruger 57 as a concealed carry weapon?

Votes: 13 27.7%

Votes: 10 21.3%

Votes: 9 19.1%

Votes: 4 8.5%

Votes: 6 12.8%

Votes: 1 2.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't own one so I really can't rate it, (although I'm sure that hasn't stopped the majority of others from doing so) but I think you could do a lot worse. It's big, but it's also rather thin, and it holds a lot of rounds in the magazine.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the 5.7x28 FN cartridge. It was designed as a potential replacement for the 9mm Luger, with a heavy emphasis on armor-piercing and the versatility to serve not only as a pistol cartridge but also as a PDW cartridge. Unfortunately, due to it being contested by the German delegation, it was never adopted by NATO forces. Furthermore, its once impressive armor-piercing capabilities have diminished, as it seems like body armor has since been designed to stop 5.7x28 FN.
Proponents of the theory of Hydrostatic Shock often state that projectiles travelling at over 2500fps are capable of generating remote wounding effects, but if such is indeed the case, then it's not visible in Ballistics Gel with 5.7x28.

So yeah, it wouldn't be my choice for a CCW, and its advantages are of dubious viability in such a role, but you could do worse.

The most important facet of self-defense is confidence, because if what you're carrying doesn't make you feel confident, then you're more likely to hesitate or even panic in a self-defense situation. So if carrying a Ruger-57 make you feel more confident than carrying something more conventional, then by all means carry it.
Personally, I trust .40 S&W, although the prevailing sentiment right now is that it offers no substantial ballistic advantage over 9mm Luger and that carrying it is entirely detrimental because everyone shoots 9mm faster and more accurately.

There is no such thing as the ideal one-size-fits-all platform for self-defense, so the best anyone can do is to choose what they feel most confident with, train until they've become proficient with it, and carry it with the knowledge that in the event in which they need it, then they'll be far better prepared than the guy who is constantly swapping out their carry gun in accordance with the latest trends in pursuit of the illusive ideal carry gun.
I have an RIA model 1911 with the .22 TCM conversion. It’s a blast, literally. You get both a powerful round with very little recoil and as a bonus makes a nice short range flame thrower. The only issue with it is you can’t load the mag to full capacity due to the taper of the case. I think if they made specific mags for it instead of using .38 Super mags it could probably function at full capacity. It’s been very reliable as long as you limit it to eight rounds as I recall. Other than the weight of an all steel gun it would be ok for CC size wise.

I gave it a 5 due to size. A buddy of mine conceals the FN so it's doable and it's an enviable amount of firepower. A quick search shows some holsters available for concealment for the 57 so apparently there's a demand...

I have an RIA model 1911 with the .22 TCM conversion. It’s a blast, literally. You get both a powerful round with very little recoil and as a bonus makes a nice short range flame thrower. The only issue with it is you can’t load the mag to full capacity due to the taper of the case. I think if they made specific mags for it instead of using .38 Super mags it could probably function at full capacity. It’s been very reliable as long as you limit it to eight rounds as I recall. Other than the weight of an all steel gun it would be ok for CC size wise.
The later double-stack TCM factory mags are made for it though I haven't had any issues with the Paraordnance 38 super, which were about half the price of factor mags when I bought them.

Of course the obvious question to add to this thread would be the supposedly-soon-to-be released Kel-Tec P50 https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/p50/ that apparently uses the P90 rifle mags to give you 50 rounds. If ammo prices were better that might become my preferred zombie pistol.

The Ruger 57 is close to the same size as a 1911A1. Concealing it(or a GP100 or like size revolver) is more about the holster. A 1911A1 can be made to disappear entirely with the right holster.
However, the cost and relative availability of the 5.7 ammo/brass is an issue. And it's a .224", 40 grain, varmint bullet. FN loads it with a V-Max. Midway wants $51.99 for 50. Not that they have any.
"...awful loud..." So is any hand gun cartridge. A .22 LR can permanently damage your hearing with 1 shot.

I have an RIA model 1911 with the .22 TCM conversion. It’s a blast, literally. You get both a powerful round with very little recoil and as a bonus makes a nice short range flame thrower. The only issue with it is you can’t load the mag to full capacity due to the taper of the case.

Depending on the model magazine you have, you might have better luck with the 9R version of the rounds. They use a shorter bullet profile set back further into the case and are designed to fit standard 9mm magazines like Glock and CZ. I think you lose about 100 FPS over the full length TCM rounds but probably worth it to feed from the magazines.

When comes to CC, I won't even consider anything bigger than LCR, Walther PPK. I don't go out to protect the gun, How can you enjoy carrying something like this? Be it you have the best holster, still it's a piece of rock either at your back or your stomach. How can you enjoy anything when you cannot even sit comfortably? You really have to ask yourself whether you are protecting the gun or the gun protecting you? If it doesn't fit in my pants pocket or the jacket pocket, it ain't a CC gun for me. I believe in living and enjoying life.

Of cause, in this political climate, if you go to some place that you expect trouble, it's a different story. But I still have my Glock 26 9mm that is small enough to hide somewhere in the jacket pocket

I've got a Glock 23/32 IWB every day, including shopping, errands, 2 mile walk the dogs, 5 mile casual bicycle ride, wherever, whenever.
Loose untucked cover shirt, with a thin tank (A-frame) between me and pistol, with shorts is standard FL attire.

I don't expect trouble, I live in a excellent place; I'm definitely enjoying life. :cool:
However, if I had to defend myself I'd prefer a Glock 23/32 in hand rather than a pocket 380 and that is independent of location, wherever, whenever.

As to the question OP presented, if a pistol is larger than a Glock 19/23/32 it is going to be difficult for me to conceal to my satisfaction wearing some of my summer shirts.
I've carried a Glock 20SF and could easily if I wanted to (less favorite shirts), so ...
Glock 20SF height 5.5'' width 1.3''
Ruger 57 height 5.6'' width 1.2''
Ruger could be concealed, but I think I'd rather have the 20SF 10mm :D

I've got a Glock 23/32 IWB every day, including shopping, errands, 2 mile walk the dogs, 5 mile casual bicycle ride, wherever, whenever.
Loose untucked cover shirt, with a thin tank (A-frame) between me and pistol, with shorts is standard FL attire.

I don't expect trouble, I live in a excellent place; I'm definitely enjoying life. :cool:
However, if I had to defend myself I'd prefer a Glock 23/32 in hand rather than a pocket 380 and that is independent of location, wherever, whenever.

As to the question OP presented, if a pistol is larger than a Glock 19/23/32 it is going to be difficult for me to conceal to my satisfaction wearing some of my summer shirts.
I've carried a Glock 20SF and could easily if I wanted to (less favorite shirts), so ...
Glock 20SF height 5.5'' width 1.3''
Ruger 57 height 5.6'' width 1.2''
Ruger could be concealed, but I think I'd rather have the 20SF 10mm :D
Personally I would be thinking 9x21 Dillon, but I guess 10mm would work.

I think its a bit large for daily carry but it can be done if your determined. I like a smooth flat shooting round and the large capacity of the gun. I'm sure it will be a joy to shoot.

I appreciate the input of everyone. I recently got the 57 but have not had the time and the ammo to shoot it. I will be correcting that shortly. I may not conceal carry it but it looks like a fun gun anyway :)

The stated purpose behind the FN P90 was for it to be a gun for security details in the event of armored attackers or for secondary soldiers who were not direct combat troops who in the event they got cut off or encountered enemy resistance had something that was small and light and not a pistol.

Nothing about the 5.7x28 was ever meant to be used in a pistol w/ a 5 inch barrel and for self defense against a junkie schizo mugger.

Is it useless? No, but there are better choices.

The SS198LF and the new Gold Dot ammo are excellent self defense ammo choices for the FN Fiveseven or Ruger 57. Due to the state of ammo availability and prices, they're both next to impossible to find or extremely expensive. I have a Ruger 57 and it's very accurate and flat shooting with very little recoil. It's slim, it's light but it's still a big pistol. I wouldn't want to carry it around IWB all day.

I have a friend who is a bodybuilder and has larger than average pecs. He wears his shirts untucked and his shirts hang out about 3"-4" from his waist. He carries a 5" double stack 1911 in an appendix holster very discreetly. I think the 57 would be no problem for him. I know that there are a lot of folks moving to the appendix carry holsters, but I just have a problem with a gun pointing at the family jewels.

Back