Ruger 500 magnum

Respectifully - you are the one who referenced these-your post #26

No I did not.

A typo on their part

How do you figure that?

S&W chose to build the X-frame for a number of reasons important to them.

Your opinion such as "cartonish" is just that your opinion and has not stopped the success of the production or adoption of the cartridge.

Being lighter doesn't make a gun better.

Nothing wrong with the 500 JRH (or any other big bore cartridges mentioned in this thread) but it is not a 500 S&W ballisticly- not even close (no disrespect to the 500JRH).

Bottom line-Revolvers and their cartridges will continue to evolve whether we like the results or not.

Popularity often stands in stark contrast to all logic and reason. They're obviously marketed to those easily impressed by numbers. Why Smith chose to build it is irrelevant. The point is that there is no point to their 500. All that pressure and velocity serves no useful purpose, unless your only purpose is to make noise and impress your less knowledgeable friends. It doesn't make the cartridge more effective. I hope that Ruger never even considers building a gun around it.

jackmoser65: They're obviously marketed to those easily impressed by numbers.
Of course they are. They all are. That is why folks like you pay big money for things like 500JRH conversions.

After all, is a well placed 500 JRH or S&W going to kill an animal any deader than a well placed 475 L , 480 R, 454 C or even a 44 M for that matter?
Are you actually hunting cape buffalo in Africa with that 500JRH or just punching paper and dreaming?

All that pressure and velocity serves no useful purpose, unless your only purpose is to make noise and impress your less knowledgeable friends.
That's the great thing about reloading (and I'm assuming most folks with .50 cal handguns do) you can load it down to 50 special or all the way up to full power. But, I would think you would already know that, right?
If you don't like the gun (S&W's X frame) that's fine, but don't attack the cartridge because of it.

Jim

Last edited:
Are you actually hunting cape buffalo in Africa with that 500JRH...

Yep.

That's the great thing about reloading.....

Which would be fine if the gun wasn't five pounds and as handy as a 10 pound sledgehammer.

If you don't like the gun (S&W's X frame) that's fine, but don't attack the cartridge because of it.

What is the purpose of this thread? Postulating about whether or not Ruger would or should adopt the cartridge and......wait for it.......why? If one thinks the cartridge is a whole lot of unnecessary weight, bulk, pressure and noise, isn't that a good enough reason? Are people looking for a discussion or a strokefest? It's funny that people talk all the time about how gun rags are nothing but fluff pieces for manufacturers and they never print a negative review but in person to person exchanges, they really can't handle negative commentary.

Back