Ruger 10/22's

Of course. The Ruger 10/22 is perhaps the most popular semiautomatic .22 in this country. Reliable, competively priced (remember when they were $60 back in '76?) and just plain fun to shoot.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited July 07, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited July 07, 1999).]

3 of them.

2 customized by Chuck Hearn and 1 in .22 Magnum.

If the Nylon 66 were magazine fed it might give these guns a run for the money in "most fun rifle", but since it is tube fed, these win hands down. I think a 10/22 is one of the "must haves."

Just got my first 10/22 the T model. Wow what fun.

BTW my dad has a Nylon Remington that is clip fed. It was the first gun I ever fired...

not sure of the model--maybe "Apache?"

Really? I thought all the 66's were tube fed, the one I had for years certainly was.

Color me embarrassed.

Let me rephrase my statement:

If I had a Nylon 66 that had detachable magazines (including hi-caps), it might give my 10/22s a run for "most fun gun"...

You Bet! Have a nice little 10/22 that was customized by Briley. The only Ruger part left is the receiver housing.

Chuck

I've got 2. One is a stock stainless model. The only thing stock on the second one is the receiver! Gotta love those 10/22's!

Have a 10/22T and 10/22M. The 10/22M had to be sent back due to extracting problems but it was bac within two weeks and is real close to the 10/22T for accuracy.

Mais, bien sur! Absolutely love it. Have a stainless with the laminated stock, with some Volquartsen trigger goodies. Can't bear to put that stock into storage, so I'm looking for a standard model to use as a base for a target buildup. Great guns, and like Gov't Models and small block Chevies, you can get damn near anything for them!

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

Thanks for the clarification, Mal.

In terms of getting anything for them, I would like to make a couple suggestions on what "the best" to get for them is (at least for a target grade gun, they are fine as is for plinking, IMHO):

Titanium internal parts from Power Custom.

Fajen Thumbhole target stocks (yes, there are still some available, you just have to hunt around).

Green Mountain Barrels.

If you are just building a plinker, you have GOT to tyr out the Houge Soft rubber Stock.. it is too cool. I'll get one for my magnum as soon as they are available.

If you can't afford or get on the list for a Hearn Custom, I would recommend Clark Custom Guns in LA as a good second choice for custom work.

I put a Hogue stock on mine, with volquartsen trigger parts. It is wonderful; accurate, quick handling and easy to shoot well and pretty inexpensive for what you get. Everybody who shoots it wants one just like it.

A friend mentioned getting a Clark target barrel. They are supposedly inexpensive and still a quality barrel. Maybe living in the closet has effected me, but I have not heard of a Clark barrel. Can anyone help?

I forgot to mention, the barrel is for my 10/22.

Yup, I have two. One standard and one built for accuracy. Bought both used. The accurized one has a Shilen barrel; thumbhole stock which is laminated brown on brown, not sure who made it; seems to have an aftermarket trigger group in it, again not sure who made it; and a TASCO 6-24 power scope. Testing at 25 yards gives 1/2" one hole, 10 shot groups with Winchester 40grn HP high velocity loads, off of a somewhat rickety plastic bench at the local range. Not tried out at 50 or 100 yards yet. Yup, I like this gun.

------------------
Freedom is not Free

Hey, just FYI for anyone out there looking for those awesome Fajen thumbhole silohette stocks... I saw a bunch at the Pomona gunshow today for about $220

I wonder why the top gun companies such as Ruger, Marlin, Browning, Winchester all make very successful selling .22 semiauto rifles and Colt does not. Of course one worries about any new product that Colt makes. But the other companies have been selling the same designs for DECADES. Why not Colt?

HarryB, the answer is that only civilians buy large numbers of .22 rimfire rifles, and Colt is more interested in military contracts than in selling to civilians.

Back