Ruger #1 experiences

I have a Browning 1885 in 45-70 .Makes a great hunter for at least 200 yds. At 100 it's an easy 1" group with factory ammo. Mine and the #1 can be hotter loaded but that's not usually necessary.I use Barnes loads. The standard 300 gr at close range is too soft therefore I went to the 300 Barnes .

For whitetail deer, I'm thinking about the 250 FTX bullet....what do you shoot?

Also, what do you wipe down the wood/metal with for protectant?

I had a Ruger #1 in 25-06 quite a few years ago. I never got the accuracy out of that gun that was expected no matter what I did with it. It was "OK" at best. The trigger was also just "OK". I finally got rid of it and wasn't too sorry I did. A couple of years ago I decided I wanted a single shot in 45-70. I now own a Winchester/Miroku 1885 in that caliber. It shoots everything I put in it very, very well. I have a number of loads developed that will shoot five shot 1" or slightly less groups fairly consistently at 100 yds. The trigger was pretty good when I got the gun and sending some parts out of the trigger to Lee Shaver got it to a nice 1.5lbs with no travel. I got the parts back quickly and it cost around thirty-five bucks to get it done. I have found on several 45-70s I own (Sharps, 1886 lever gun, and my High Wall) that the heavier bullets shoot much better than the lighter bullets. My best groups have all been with a 405g JHP bullet. I've gotten decent groups with lighter bullets, but not my best groups. I think that's generally true speaking to many other owners of guns in this caliber. Good luck with your new gun.

Back