Ruger #1 experiences

Nathan

I'm looking at a used one in 45-70.

How can I protect the stock when hunting?

How accurate are they usually?

What are your experiences? What should I look for or be aware of?

Hi Nathan I love the Ruger #1 I have a buddy that owns one in 45-70 and It is an awesome rifle I have tried to get him to sell it to me on several occasions:D. He wont do it because he loves it to:(. To protect the stock I have used McNett Camo form wraps from Cabelas and I have no complaints I just wrap them around whichever rifle I am taking Hunting and then take it back off when hunting season is over. I cant give specific accuracy to the rifle in inches because we never measure but I know that at 100 yds We could hold pretty nice groups for the purposes of deer hunting. Otherwise I have heard no complaints from my buddy and I have none Either I think they are awesome rifles. I am sure if you buy it will you will be pleased Ruger make good firearms in my opinion.

I have a Ruger #1 in 204 that I take out in some pretty nasty weather varmint hunting.

All I do is wife it down with furniture polish before and after I take it out.

The stock looks like it did when it came out of the store.

Mine are in 30-06 and 375H&H. I use hard paste wax before and after hunting trips. Have a picture of 30-06 International. Ignore the rifle on the left. It is a Ruger SR-762. I know with the 30-06 I get three or four shot groups you can cover with a quarter at 100 yards from a rest with factory hunting ammo.

I have one in 7mmRM, it shoots a 140grn Barnes TTSX load I have sub MOA, most every other ammo I try is either 1" or 1 1/4". The trigger isn't too bad but could be better, it's heavy to me. I just haven't taken the time to ship it off and have a new one installed. Guess I could have the one in it polished and worked some.

Great guns and fun to carry.

Good evening Nathan, I my self have a Ruger no-1 in a 25-06 in the Varminter and my brother has 3 of them. I've hunted with mine for the last 17 yrs and I just keep it cleaned up like any other rifle. The only issue that I've seen is that I moved my sling off the fore arm onto the barrel.
I had always been able to shoot a 1/4" 3 shot group and then one day I couldn't. I got to checking and what I found, was my fore arm was wanting to pull away from the barrel do to the weight, and my pressure point had been interrupted. I moved my sling to the barrel and it went right back to was. My brother also had to do this to two of his #1. That's been about 10 yrs ago and everything is still good. They are a really good shooting rifle

I have a slight addiction to #1s.

If you carry a rifle in the woods it will show wear and minor damage to the gun over time.

standard.jpg

Mine is a 25-06 Varmint with the heavy bull barrel. I am a fan of Johnson's paste wax on the wood and light gun oil on the metal.

I will likely pick up one in 45-70 myself. Just haven't gotten around to it since Obutthead has been in office.

I own a 45-70. Out to 150 yards, they are very accurate and easy to shoot. Beyond that, you get into the scary parts of the 45-70 ballastically. You can learn to shoot them beyond that but for me, 150 is about all I'd need it for.

As far as the stock, a little stock wax should cover it. Otherwise, try not to beat on it and you have no worries.

They are fantastic guns and there is zero reason not to take them out and enjoy them.

Rugers have pretty good accuracy. Especially out of the box.

To cover the stock just put anything over it or you can buy a stock cover.

I don't have much experience with a ruger but I have recently bought a Remington 700 ADL (nice gun) and was looking at a ruger,many they are really nice too.

Do you have a link you could give me so I could look at the gun? Or just model?
Cause "ruger" is pretty vague.

Zach

Zach,
From my web musings, the Ruger #1....#1 is the model name....is Ruges best quality gun.

Triggers look adjustable for overtravel and weight. Stocks vary from pretty nicely figures to incredible. Bluing looks pretty good, but not Colt or old S&W nice.

Most have a quarter rib and barrel band front sight. Forearms have a weird notch from the euro gun that inspired them.

The best part are all the great oddball calibers! 45-70 is relatively normal, but others are more unique.

Nice guns. Honestly, the local cabelas has a wonderful one for $1400....great highly figured stock and 405 WCF.

Well, looks good so far:
A22B3F0C-C163-480A-B27A-5A45FF63E935_zpsapgyxanz.jpg

I'm pretty happy with what I received, price paid, etc. can't wait to load up some ammo for it!

good for you

Congrats on your new rifle. The #1 fraternity have always been a bit cultish (in a good way) and you have joined.

I have anguished over a variety of #1's, and #3's for a good many years and never committed.

I'd clamp a low powered variable on that rig (45-70 right?) and hunt.

I have a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. I put a Burris Fullfield II scope on it with a BDC reticle. My go-to load is zeroed at 100 yards, first tick down 150 yards, second tick down 200 yards. I didn't plan it like that or try and develop a special load, it just worked out that way. No complaints from me ... sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good.

Hornady 350 grain bullets with H-4895 powder.

Back