Rough Rider 22/22wmr

I purchased on quite a few years back for my sons to use on range day without burning through a couple hundred dollars worth of ammo. So much for that notion!!

Ours is the six inch and it is a serviceable and affordable revolver that shoots quite well with 22lr and is an absolute tack driver with the 22 WMR.

Great little gun for the money, but I do detest that ridiculous safety to the left of the hammer. I mean really... why? *shrugs*

I think they're fine revolvers. I own a .32 H&R Heritage and the only problem I have with it is the fixed front sight is too low and needs to be adjusted. Otherwise, it groups well, has a nice trigger, and just feels solid.

I've had my eye on a 9.5 inch Rough Rider .22 Combo, but because I hate fixed sights on long barrel handguns, I've kind of avoided it. If they'd offer an adjustable sight model, I'd be all over it.

IMO, Heritage makes a good single action revolver. They may not be as tight or finessed as a Ruger, but they work and are not garbage.

I have a 6.5" 22 lr only model. I absolutely love shooting it. It's more accurate than I am. I did have some screws on the trigger guard work loose, but I caught it before they fell out and applied some loctite where necessary.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5" 22/22WMR and for what it cost I have no complaints. Mine is the fixed sight model, and groups pretty descent with regular LR's or WMR's albeit a tad high and left. Good piece for the beginner if you ask me.

With the cocobolo wood grips and blued steel, it's a darned fine looking revolver except that out of place safety. The safety is a hammer block so it does allow you some worry free dryfire exercises if you feel so inclined.

Great little gun for the money, but I do detest that ridiculous safety to the left of the hammer. I mean really... why? *shrugs*

There is an unfounded conspiracy theory (started by me) that the Rough Rider revolvers were developed and funded by grants from the Mystery Writers of America so that whenever one of their authors writes something like 'he pulled the revolver from the holster and clicked off the safety' they can claim "Well some revolvers DO have a safety. So there. Neener, neener."

I had the Ruger 22/22mag 5 inch barrel pistol for several years. From my experiences the 22 LR ammo accuracy is not quite as good as the 22mag ammo.

True dat

I had the same experience with a single six, better accuracy with the .22 magnum.
The .22 magnum is .001 bigger than .22 thus the bore of the convertible guns is sized for the larger bullet.

Had one. Wasn't terribly excited about the accuracy or the finish (or the safety lever). But primarily, I finally said to myself, "Why am I wasting so much time shooting and clearing this single action thing", sold it and a Ruger Single Six, and bought a S&W 63. At least all the brass comes out at once!

S&W 63 = Heritage Rough Rider x 5.
We all know there isn't a comparison between a Heritage and a s&w or a Ruger, but the prices don't compare either. For the money, the Heritage is a great 22 SA revolver.

Last edited:
I actually like the reloading. I prefer it over my semi-auto rifle. It's a nice alternative to the semi-auto pew-pew-pew madness. It's nice to slow things down a little.

I have a 6 1/2" regular grip, and 3 1/2" Birdshead. Enjoy both. Plenty of accuracy for what they are. They reliably poke holes where aimed, spin targets, bounce cans, and break up ice blocks.
Although being a revolver any ammo brand works, but CCI and Remington Golden Bullet seem to produce thebest accuracy in mine.

I have a 4 3/4" but with just the 22s/l/lr cylinder. For the money, it's a fine little knock around gun and mine shoots well. The only thing I dislike on it is their funky "safety" but you get used to it. Not a Colt or S & W but will get the job done. I haver read of some who really like the longest barrel version for tree rats which would be a fun way to hunt 'em.

Back