Rossi Circut Judge... Yes or no?

Just purchased A Circuit Judge:

I own a Public Defender Judge. I love this gun. I saw a Circuit Judge at my local Gun Shop. I was looking for a rifle that I could possibly hunt with. Was considering a .410. So I bought it on a trade with my AK 47. which I felt I had no use for. He put a Hologram glass on it. I am considering putting a scope on it. Wonder if anyone has any suggestions on a good inexpensive scope I could get.Took it out Sunday to shoot. It had been a while since I had been shooting & it was fun. I was impressed with the accuracy with the .45 and also the PDX loads. I was shooting at a distance of about 40 yards. Some problems though. The cylinder seemed to hang up when cocking the trigger. I don't know if the .45 shell was not seated right or what. Wonder if anyone has had this happen to them. Also the stock gets in the way when ejecting the shells. I wonder if anyone has modified the stock to compensate. I went on the Taurus site but I haven't gotten any response. Also the cost of the .45 colt ammo is outrageous. I hope to find someone who reloads that I can purchase from. Would like to learn to do it myself. I've heard mixed opinions on hunting with one but I hope to try it out myself.

After some thinking on the subject a Circuit Judge would be a very good option for home defense because the cylinders can be kept loaded without the worry of magazine springs wearing out or becoming weak.

Load it with a cylinder full of .410 Buckshot or .45 colt hollow points and a person would be hard pressed to find a better option.

It can be loaded ( The speed loaders made by 5-star) or unloaded in a flash, and fired at the same rate as a semi-auto but without the worry of a jam ( as long as U.S. spec. ammo is used) and be used one handed if for some reason the other hand is out of action ( through injury or holding a flashlight/phone) I've been thinking about picking one of the circuit judge revolving carbine/shotguns for awhile.

But I do have my two Mossberg 500E's that do a good job for around the house .410 defensive duty ( The S&W Gov. is a good option as well for the same tasks and for close range personal defense outside the home)

Last edited:
Would / wouldnt buy it?

I looked at and handled the .45/.410 version at Wally World. It was pretty, and seemed reasonably well made. Insert obligatory Taurus warnings here.

Would be more interested in it as a dedicated .45 Colt (or .44 Magnum) carbine. (Which, I notice they do have a .44 Magnum version now, with an unsightly rail. At least they list one. Taurus has been known to list vaporware guns that never materialize.)

It has a smooth full choke for the 410 and a smooth cylinder bore for the 45LC. Since the 45 is .44 larger than the 410 don't shoot .45 through the full choke.

I've shot my dads and it maybe goofy looking but I like it. It handles very well. Reasonably accurate for what it is (2" 5 shot group @ 50yds.) My dad wanted one to keep around for keeping it loaded with birdshot for snakes and LC's for amardillos. He's killed more hogs with it than anything else.

After some thinking on the subject a Circuit Judge would be a very good option for home defense because the cylinders can be kept loaded without the worry of magazine springs wearing out or becoming weak.

So it's a silly solution to a non-existent problem.

If you want to have one of these things because it's fun, fine. They do have a certain steampunk charm. But SD is a serious subject and should be taken seriously. These things do nothing that a pump shotgun, lever action rifle or M1 Carbine can't do much better.

Last edited:
Why does it have to be practical for anything? If you like it and you want it, buy it. What's the worst thing that will happen? You'll find out you don't like it? Then sell it or trade it, or just stick it in the back of the safe and have a laugh on yourself from time to time. I could see using one for squirrel or rabbit hunting.

I just got a big lecture on another forum about how over and under shotguns were better than side by sides. Big deal. I like side by sides. Get what you like.

Back