Rossi 92 vs. Ruger M77 ( Both in .357)

there's probably been as many deer killed with 44-40 as the 30-30
Probably more, 44-40 had a 22 year head start on the 30-30, and by 1900 deer were almost non-existent in most states.
Those of us out in the 'West' don't like to claim Washington as a Western state because it rains too darn much out there!!
Well, then, next time you look at a map of the USA, please note that up is north, down is south, right is east, and Washington is a lot farther to the left (in more ways than one) than the place you call home. Besides, it is only moldy green in the farthest western 1/3 of the state, the other 2/3 is dry and dusty. And there is more precipitation in Colorado than in most of Washington, it just happens faster.
158grn 357mag Buffalo Bore Heavy 357mag rd with a Muzzle Velocity of 2,288fps from a Rossi 24" barreled levergun
It defies reason that a cartridge with less than 1/2 the case capacity of a 30-30 that operates at 85% of the pressure of the 30-30 can generate the same velocity as a 30-30 with a similar weight bullet and 2/3 the powder. I have seen 1,950 fps with a 158 gr bullet out of a 357 carbine (which is faster than most pistol bullets can perform well at), but never 2,300 fps. Not sayin' it ain't so, but I'd want to see it.

Besides, we were discussing the merits of a rifle with an 18-1/2" barrel.

Last edited:
Yep, it rains all the time out here in Oregon, even in the summer. We never see the sun. And Washington is even wetter; everywhere. Y'all would hate it out here.... Just don't come. ;)

Last edited:
Ruger, hands-down.

I love me some lever guns, but the Ruger 77/357 is the better buy.

Washington?
I know there's a bunch of desert, and I'm told I went through it a few times as a kid. But I don't remember it.
When I lived in WA, I was west of Mt. Rainier and we always headed south into Oregon to travel back to Utah.
But, while in that green, soggy 'paradise, if it only rained 4 days in a week, a severe drought would be declared!
Grey skies all the time ... even on sunny days. It was a depressing place.

Back