Rossi 92 vs Marlin 1894

Just use an aperture sight; they work so well. With either rifle there are more than a couple of options. A lot of guys my age think they must have a scope because their eyes aren't what they used to be. But I think most of them would be surprised how well a decent peep-sight would work for them if they gave them a chance. I have had to take up using reading glasses for the last several years and using open sights is more difficult than it used to be, but give me an aperture rear sight and a decent front sight and all is well. I appreciate a scoped, bolt-action 270, but I sure don't want, and don't need a scope on a lever-gun. It kind of defeats its purpose for me.

Just use an aperture sight; they work so well. With either rifle there are more than a couple of options. A lot of guys my age think they must have a scope because their eyes aren't what they used to be. But I think most of them would be surprised how well a decent peep-sight would work for them if they gave them a chance. I have had to take up using reading glasses for the last several years and using open sights is more difficult than it used to be, but give me an aperture rear sight and a decent front sight and all is well. I appreciate a scoped, bolt-action 270, but I sure don't want, and don't need a scope on a lever-gun. It kind of defeats its purpose for me.

AMEN to that. I have a full buckhorn on my 92 that works well for me. I wouldn't want one of the newer ones with the safety either. http://www.rossiusa.com/find-dealer.cfm

The scope thing was an experiment. I shoot stock sights on my Rossi. Good enough to gong a 4" steel plate every time at 50 yards if I do my part. I like the flat base rear sights better than buckhorn.

I tried the williams, lyman, skinner and other peeps--none of them worked for my old eyes--then I discovered the marble's bull's eye rear (sorry if I used the wrong terminology calling it ghost ring) and for the first time in many years I could start hitting things reliably freehand with irons again.

I liked my Rossi in .357 so much I bought another in .45 Colt. They are very accurate and you won't cry if you drop it or scuff it up in the woods. The stainless works good as an all weather gun.

My Henry is nicer, much nicer, but too nice for hunting.

Back