Rossi 92 vs Marlin 1894

Mattj4867

Hi all. I’ve been looking for a lever gun in 44mag and can’t decide which would be a better buy. Both of these companie’s customer service and quality have been questionable lately. The Rossi is $50-$100 cheaper than the marlin. I like both designs equally. Which company would you go with?

I have no experience with the Marlin but my Rossi has been excellent. A little rough around the edges but well built and has smoothed out nicely with use.

I'd take the Marlin everyday, and twice on Sunday... although I would search for a true JM stamped Marlin, not a Remington Marlin.

I owned both and traded them. I now own a Winchester 1873 in .357.

If I had to choose one, the JM stamped Marlin would be my first choice. Built by the original gunsmiths, it is very easy to clean. Just remove one screw and the bolt comes off for easy maintenance. These rifles are reliable and accurate.

The Rossi has a 50/50 reputation, when it comes to reliability. Mine worked well. It is accurate. However, you must dismantle many components in order to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, you must dismantle many components in order to clean it. 

No doubt about that^^^. I break mine down for a thorough cleaning once a year, other than that I just clean the barrel, shoot some CLP on the bolt, cycle it, clean the areas I can reach.

Whatever:

It shoots through the same hole more often than not. Eats everything from BB 430 grain +P to my home load Trail Boss subsonics and shoots them all well as I am the limiting factor, not the rifle. And it is a Remington owned Marlin. And it is beautiful. And it is the smoothest cycling Marlin I have ever owned of many since I came of age in the 60s.

3C

I don't know anything about the Rossi. I don't know if I have ever seen one.

I have however purchased two Marlin 1895 lever guns within the last two years and I can't see any issue with them at all. I have also messed around with a couple other purchased within the last year and don't see any issue with them either. Based solely on the very few rifles I have handled, I am leaning toward these Marlin quality issues being internet drama. And FWIW, I own several Marlin rifles that I have owned for 15 or 20 years to compare the new ones against.

If you need optics, get the marlin. If you are sensitive to recoil, the curved metal butt plate on the Rossi will not be your friend.

If your gun will be exposed to rain, mud, moisture, the rossi is very difficult to disassemble and clean properly. But it looks cooler.

My Rossi 92 - 45 Colt is built on a 454 casull frame so it can take any pressures a Marlin can take. If people feel the need to put a lot of ++P rounds through their lever guns then they are better served to buy the next caliber up or a magnum.

Last edited:
If you like high pressure ammo, the Marlin is stronger than the Rossi.

Sorry, my friend...you are WRONG.

The Rossi is stronger than the Marlin.

The Rossi has been chambered in .454 Casull...the Marlin receiver will not stand up to .454.

Next time you look at a Rossi...look down on the top of the action and notice those 2 big locking lugs behind the bolt.

Last edited:
I have several Marlin pistol caliber guns and I like them but I would have no problem buying a Rossi.Handle them both buy which one you like better unless you plan on scoping it then buy a Marlin.The Rossi ( Winchester 92) is a stronger action than the Marlin 94.

I have owned both in 45C and they are equally fun guns. Like it has been mentioned, if putting optics on your gun then I would go with the Marlin. The Rossi has a curved hard but plate that may be hard on your shoulder if shooting heavy loads and is harder to put a scope on.

Back