Rosie O'blubber and K mart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgun

Yes, there is a God. I heard on the morning broadcast of Fox News that Kmart has canned Rosie O'blubber due to the "negative pressure from the public over the gun issue". Rosie immediatly issued a press release that she quit "because Kmart sell guns." What a bunch of sh..! She knew that Kmart was selling guns when the issue with Tom Selleck first came up.

Can we use this as a springboard to get more equitable treatment for gun owners on national news? If pro-gunners put enough pressure on K-Mart that Rosie was fired (or quit), couldn't we do the same with ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, etc.? Maybe pick out a couple of their major advertisers and go after them. What d'ya think?

Robert

Lets go shopping!!!!!
------------
http://www.nydn.com/today/News_and_Views/Daily_Dish/a-47728.asp

Rosie Sticks to Her Guns
By Unloading Kmart Gig

osie O'Donnell is out as Kmart's top
pitchwoman.

The daytime talk host is walking away from her
starring role with the company over her stance
on guns.

A vociferous gun-control advocate, O'Donnell said yesterday that
she thought her future efforts on the hot-button issue would make
it difficult for her to continue hyping the gun-selling retail giant.

"It's only fair to Kmart that I stop doing
commercials," she said.

"Rosie intends to be proactive in her gun
control efforts . . ." added Lois Smith, her
spokesperson. "It was important for her to
take herself out of commercials so neither she
nor Kmart would be further criticized."

But Kmart insiders told us yesterday that the
company gave O'Donnell her walking papers because it had
grown tired of the negative publicity her gun stance was bringing
them.

O'Donnell and Kmart deny the charges and emphasize that they
have not severed ties. Rosie will appear in two final holiday
commercials and Kmart will continue to support her For All Kids
Foundation, the company said.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed my relationship with Kmart, and I am
extremely pleased with the amount of money we raised together,"
Rosie added. "I will continue to be involved with Kmart's
philanthropic activities."

dZ...

Remember to tell the salesperson and the checkout clerk why you are buying from K-mart.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

The boycott hurt the bottom line. They have been advertising 25% off and more on hunting clothing since the beginning of Sept. They would normally offer some merchandise discounted as a tease to get you into the store to shop, but the ads have been more like what you would see after the season has ended to clear out remaining stock. The sporting goods depts are the ones that suffered the most.

Aye Mister Starbuck do ya see her off the port bow?? Blowing blood like fountain as she rolls over...

Send Queequeg with the long boats Mister Starbuck!!!! Pull her alongside and we'll feast this November's evening like it was Christmas!!!!!

(good to see that SOMEONE figure out BAD publicity SUCKS for your business Kudos to US for putting pressure on k-mart, and as a THANK you to K-Mart why don't we all go buy a brick of 22 shells?)

Now toss me a whale steak... and lets celebrate our little victory.

Dr.Rob

This is indeed a good sign. For the first time a major Corporation is forced by a grassroots campaign to change its policy.

This boycott started on the internet and spread throughout the shooting community. K mart was hurt where they feel it the most, on the bottom line and they know it.

K Mart's primary customer is the hunter who shoots only a few months a year. The target shooters buy their guns and equipment elsewhere and the gun collectors go to shows. K Mart stocks the guns and goods that are purchased by hunters and it appears that they have had a bad season because of the bad publicity. The seasonal hunter makes up the majority of gunowners and most are not NRA members. I bet Wall Mart has had a good season at K Mart's expense.

Thank God for grassroots campaigns like this one, we shooters must learn from this and keep it up in other areas. We need to start putting pressure on other corporations the way we did it to K Mart. Those of you who want a fight, this is the way to do it.

Thanks to all who got involved in this.

Geoff Ross

------------------
Damn!...I need more practice!
Pi$$ off the left, register to vote.

If this is true it would be a good excuse to buy some of them there Dynapoints I heard about, that ONLY sell at Kmart and feed the best in a Ruger .22--only the local Kmart doesn't stock .22 ammo. How this is possible I do not know, but there it is. Morons.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I'm with Kimber Man. There are too many other stores that sell similar products. If we kiss and make up straight-away, I feel that it will take some of the sting out of our victory.

I have always promoted ways to make anti-gun policies the Third Rail of doing business. Hopefully, this is just the start. But, wouldn't it be nice for the business community to pass the word around, in hushed tones, "Geez, look what happened to K-Mart, even after they dumped Rosie, it took them MONTHS to recover!" Therefore, this child ain't agoin into K-Mart for a few more months.

In the meantime, as a parting salvo, I just bought a TV and some other stuff, to the tune of over $500, from their competitors. Receipts are being Xeroxed and mailed to K-Mart's business office, as I have been doing these past few months. One last shot of defecating on their steps for their pat-on-the head and hypocritical response email to my complaint.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

I agree and have just started faxing my receipts(and my dads, my girlfriends and any coworker I get to give me one)

Truth is I don't go to Wally World that much either. I know the local gun shop is not going to sell me out, so I'd rather pay more and go there. It's worth it to me.

Nope, I won't be stepping back in K-mart anytime soon.

I didn't like the arrogant form letter they sent me the first time around.

I'm writing them now telling them I won't be back until they start donating a portion of ammo and gun sales to the NRA.

We got them down, make 'em say uncle before you let them up.

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

Great,

Now, everyone email and call Levi's and tell them to **** off too!
I sent them a nice long scathing letter. Maybe we can have an effect here.
This is a win for our side, a sign that our concerted efforts CAN make a real difference! This forum, along with other groups, spearheaded a campaign against KMart for their spokeswhale, and we won. Let's be happy and use this momentum to target other anti-gun attacks in retail.

Jeff,
I disagree. I have an Outdoor Life magazine from September 1997 that has a 4 page insert. The prices are reflective of the same price reductions, and in some cases better than, now. This is the September issue, which means I would have recieved it at the beginning of August, far in advance of hunting season and certainly far in advance of any boycott.

K-Mart is pro K-Mart and nothing more or less, just like any major business. I really doubt if Rosie's stance had anything to do with K-Marts decision, other than an excuse to dump an expensive spokesperson, and look good about it. Rosie was just not bringing in enough $$ vs the cost of her mouth.

As I stated before, for tens of thousands, K-Mart IS the local gun store. As long as they continue to sell guns and ammo, I will shop there. I no longer shop at Penny's, Monkey Ward or any of the other's that quit selling guns and ammo.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

Ill stick with Wal Mart. MTV did a big special on gun violence, shooting down the easy accessed shotguns sold by wal mart.MTV sent some young black gang members into walmart to buy shotguns. they walked out with them because they had no criminal record. Wal Mart followed the laws and sold the guns legally. Wal Mart is not to blame for the use of its guns once out of the store. as no gun shop is. WalMart started in the south and sticks to its roots. Even after MTV's special wal mart didnt bow to the publicity and never changed a thing. Since then i buy from wal mart simply because i believe if every store bows down to some bad press, people like rosie o donnell will only have to make enough noise until all of our resources are exhausted, and we will have to go out of our way to buy guns and ammo. My hats off to wal mart. they are a stand up business.

P.S. I would also like to thank howard stern for criticizing rosie o fatness for her hipocritical ways. He is a gun advocate and carrys daily. (which is hard to do in new york)

------------------
TIM : )

Whew. Now I don't feel so bad for buying a Gerber Multi-Plier 400 Compact Sport from there @ $32 last weekend.

- Ron V.

------------------

Complacency and apathy will be our downfall.

Ps- Is MTV saying that we should be racist against black men who wear street clothes? Geesh, and I thought I was bad. What would MTV rather Wal Mart had done, told the Black men that they looked like criminals so they would not sell them shotguns?

I just can't see why someone would want to haul their hard earned money to a big box store and give it to some pimpled faced clerk who doesn't know the difference between a shotgun and a rifle.

Do what you want, but I'm supporting my local gun dealer when I can. One day that crap you buy from Wally World is going to break and you'll have no one to repair it because the local guy went under.

------------------
The new guy.

Some of you just lack the killer instinct. You gotta go for the kill, you'll never win.

I've only been here for a few days, and I'm already finding out who the 1% is.

------------------
The new guy.

[This message has been edited by Jimmie (edited November 20, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back