express them in her national TV forum. That's what Kmart, for which
Rosie was a paid spokesperson, said in a statment shortly
thereafter. O'Donnell, coincidentaly,immediiatly issued a statment
that Kmart was OK because it sold legal guns and ammunition to
hunters and shooters who used lawfully-ignoring the fact that she
attacked those very people previously. Wall, according to published
reports, the threatend boycott did come to pass and-with its
margins on hunting items cut deeply entering hunting season-Kmart
has dissmissed O'Donnell as a spokesperson.
The move apparently has triggered an even biger response as
Wal-MArt, the nation's leading retailer has reacted to the move
bymaking arrangments with firearms trainng orginazations to
support and provide meeting
room space for training sessions nationwide.
Kmart and Wal-Mart, incidentally, are the nation's leading retailers
of sporting arms and ammunition. The adage "when you really want
their attention,hit them in the wallet"certainly proved itelf in this
case.

Joe

Joe's Second Amendment Message Board

That would be so cool if it's true. The next trick is to get a more public acknowledgement out of K-mart.

The so-called "Queen of Nice" apparently isn't so nice to work with, according to many, and it will be interesting to see if she has any comment on the above if it's true. (please, God, let it be true) I particularly appreciate (not) her promotion of single parenthood, and the way she treats those kids like 'lifestyle accessories'.

I've really enjoyed the quip about blaming guns for violence is like Rosie blaming her spoon for her fatness. Yup, maybe what goes around comes around.
M2

I agree. The one sure way for K-mart to get their customer base built back up would be for them to make a public statement and to hire Tom Selleck. That would be too cool.

Joe

Could someone repost Kmart's contact info so we can attempt to verify this? I know, I *could* look for this myself, but I'm both at work now, and feeling quite lazy!

Thanks.

Kmart Corp.
NYSE : KM

Address:
3100 West Big Beaver Road
Troy, MI 48084
Phone:
(248) 643-1000
Fax:
(248) 643-5249
Sector:
Services
Industry:
Retail (Department & Discount)
Employees:
Officers:
Floyd Hall, Chmn./Pres./CEO
Anthony N. Palizzi,
Exec. VP/Counsel
Donald E. Norman, Sr. VP/CIO
Martin Welch III,
Sr. VP/CFO/CAO
Nancie W. LaDuke, VP/Secy.

nralife - Where did you find this article? Your posting says: "Press & Sun Bulletin, page 3D sports section. SEPT.29 1999 RETAILERS OFFER SUPPORT FOR GUNS."

What city is this paper published in? Is there an author's name listed with it? Did you read this yourself or did someone e-mail it to you? Did you find it online? I cant.

Just a few questions to help us confirm the story that we all hope is true.

Thanks

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsay Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

Though I haven't stumbled upon any physical specimens myself, I would guess that as much as Rosie eats, it's a safe bet to confirm that yes, "Rosie dumped" at some point. Sorry, I know that's not a pretty picture.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited October 06, 1999).]

"The Game is afoot, Watson!".
I just spent an enjoyable half hour (seriously) tracking this down. It's not complete, yet.
I used AltaVista and searched on "Press and Sun Bulletin". Got 65 hits, one of which was
the Tioga Press Consortium, (aha! New York!).
One of my neat bookmarks is http://chaucer.unh.edu/News.html, which had the paper's URL. I looked about but couldn't find the article (they don't have a Search by Article, only by date, and maybe the story wasn't big enough to make the Web).
They did have a "Contact Us" page, so I asked the archive desk to send me the URL for the article.
At this point I believe the article to be genuine (OH JOY!) because everything else checks out OK.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

If this is true, I will write to K-Mart congradulating them for understanding where the $$ come from and to thank them for being smart enough to do it (I guess our boycott really worked as I have been true to all of my statements about never spending a penny there).
I can even stomach their sure to be "politically correct" statements as to why they have let her go. What ever the reason, WE WILL KNOW WHY!!!

If this turns out to be true, a pat on the back to all who worked so hard for this.

------------------
To own firearms is to affirm that freedom and liberty are not gifts from the state.

I'm interested to hear this, too. I sent boycott letters to KMart and of course got their stupid "we support the 1st Amendment" reply. I told them that it was too bad the 1st amendment only applies to government and that they'd start getting my $ again when they canned the fat wench.

Pisses me off everytime I see an ad for cheap sporting goods at KMart.

Looks like I may be headed down there for some shopping...

Sorry fellas, I ain't going back to K-Mart.
If the article is true, shouldn't you spend your money at Wal-Mart, thanking them for making space available for safe gun training?

To Hell with K-Mart. The only reason they dropped Rosy is because we squeezed them by their financial gonads. If it was to their corporate advantage, they'd have Chuckie Schumer as their spokesman.

It seems to me that Wal-Mart is sticking their neck out, offering space to the pro-gun types. Why not let them know you appreciate it, and that you will spend your K-Mart dollars there as a show of support.
"Hell hath no fury like a gun-owner spurned" [g].

Come to think about it, why doesn't the NRA "suggest" that Heston retire "due to health problems" and get Tom Selleck? (if he wanted the job).

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

My mother (the grandmother who teaches computers at a university) told me a few days ago that K-Mart was trying to "ease" Rosey out in a way that would not be to noticable. Have you also noticed that Rosey has not been seen with Penny Marshall lately. It seems that Pennys Hubby and Brother are not only big time TV Producers but they are also big time shot gunners. Guess Rosey's chance to get another TV program dont look to good.

hooya if wall mart is willing to reach out to help then by all means we should help them not k mart for doing somthing they shoud have done any way (not after being presd to do so) why support them when they were not willing to support one of there major coustomer groups.its kind of a you scratch my back ill scratch yous.

------------------
oneshotonekill

The Blues Man & others,

I found this article online at the http://www.subguns.com "general" board. There was no city or author included and no one there could confirm it. That is why I was cautious about ordering the Champaign just yet.

I hope this is not some dumb trolls idea of a joke.

Joe

Oatka,

I agree with you about replacing Heston with Selleck. I appreciate Chuck's help, but I think he is a terrible spokesman. He gives good speeches, but in Q&A forums he... well, he sucks. He seems evasive and dances around questions. Besides, I think Selleck would have a broader appeal these days.

Just a little peave of mine; sorry for the rant.

Did Walmart ever sell handguns or did they just stop selling them in recent years? Just a question I've wondered about.

Jack

If I remember right, Walmart sold pistols for awhile, then went to a you look in a catalog approach. The prices in the catalog were higher than just going to a gun shop.
Yes, Walmart has never sold us out.
I also hope this is true.
Believe, being dumped by a company rings bells of alarm in Hollywood, where the god of money is the only thing worshipped.

nebob, depends on how you define 'sold us out'. Wal-Mart did indeed order handguns for customers. I believe it was in only the last 60 days that they have ended this service. If you check with your local Wally World, I think you'll find that you can no longer buy handguns from them.

We are surrounded by cowards.

Back