Rogers & Spencer .44

I love the looks of the R&S also. I had never had one in my hands before I bought my first one. Bigger than I had thought, wouldn't fit in the holster for my Remington.
Can't have just one, so I had to get another.
They have a short hammer stroke and that seems odd for a while but now I like it. You do have to shift the revolver in your hand to cock it if your hands are small like mine.
I am old and have bad eyes so I shoot just for fun not for guoups.
Wrists are old and weak so I don't use heavy loads, 20-25 grains under a round ball and 6 grains of Unique in the 45 long colts (oh yes, had to have an R&D conversion cylinder for them).
I think everyone should have a pair of them.
Got a pair of Starrs on the way now.
Lee

2yxjhiu.jpg
[/IMG]

Howdy,
I got both revolvers and the conversion cylinder off Gunbroker.com. Three different auctions. Everything, shipping and all, came to $512.00.
I have no idea what the max safe charge would be, I can't shoot with a heavy recoil, bad wrists.
Lee

I found a bill on my credit card for $339 this morning. This was something of a surprise because it is a back order from dixie gunworks. I ordered it in late october and they had to send to Italy to get it. I expected a much longer wait as the Italians are reported to take off the entire months of August and December. Anyway, Its on the way and that's what it cost.
Now to find out if those spare parts Dixie lists are actually in stock.

a revolver and sources:

It came in today and I shot it with dillon thomas-like intensity. results here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=240556

I also called Euroarms America and was told that they import the guns and then send them to their distributors. Two of them are :
The Regimental Quartermaster
49 Steinwehr Ave.
Gettysburg, PA 17325
717-338-1864
http://www.regtqm.com/
Euro Arms USA distributor.

S&S Firearms
74-11 Myrtle Ave, Glendale NY 11385
718-497-1100
http://ssfirearms.com/
Euro Arms USA distributor
as mentioned.

It turned in some good results, hitting close to point of aim except when the 8+pound trigger pull caused me to push the groups to the right. I shot it 60 + rounds without any cleaning. (used felt wads from Eastern Maine Shooters supply). Throughout, it handled caps with no jams and never did bog down from fouling.

If Mec has one of these, I want one too! It's going to be a great Christmas holiday I have 3 guns coming actually got the Rodgers and Spencer today. I will put in a good word for S&S Firearms from the links above. Ordered it last week and it arrived in great shape today and at a good price. It strikes me as being a heavy duty BP revolver and man the loading lever is smooth as can be. One more day at work then some shooting!!!!!

The other place lists them as Out Of Stock. I believe you did good mentioning S&S a while back. They were confirmed as a major supplier by Euroarms America. The R&S will fit the same holsters as a 58 remington but weighs several ounces more. Also, the R&S has screws connecting the load bearing parts of the seating apparatus instead of the little bitty pins on the remington.

A few things I notice about the R&S, the hammer angle strikes square against the nipple. The loading lever will never fall under recoil (because of the way they made it), and it has a very wide hammer looking at it from the back and a very fat trigger. I like a wide trigger. I like this pistol a lot.

That's a good looking pistola! I'm about half convinced to call one of the Phils at S&S and order one. I'm impressed with the Euroarms rifle I got from S&S and they are a great bunch to deal with. Anyone know what the chambers and bore measurements are on the R&S?

Steve

Holsters.

wouldn't fit in the holster for my Remington

Looks like lots of fun. Does anyone know where holsters might be found to fit this beastly wristbreaker?

Have narrowed it down (partly based on this thread) to an R&S or a Walker sometime this spring.

Steve, as close as I can read a caliper, the chambers are .448-49 with the bore about .44. Just about like Pietta measurements. The .451 round balls fit very well.
The revolver fits the slim jim I use for Colt army/navy and the remingtons.

Thanks, mec. My resistance is further weakened upon learning I wouldn't need to add an additional mold to my mold pile.

Steve

My resistence to them came from several directions. I had swollowed the story about none of them being used until bought by bannermans in 1901. The story about several hundred being sold to civilians in the 1860s made them more interesting.

I had a very hard time finding one as their distribution in the United
States is not nearly as wide as the Ubertis or Piettas. It made me wonder if spare parts were available at all. The good news here seems to be this S&S firearms company as it sounds like the customers are well satisfied. ArmiSport America may be a secondary source for guns and parts but they prefer to work through distributors and arn't set up for credit card sales and such. I looked up the other source they gave me and found that they list the R&S as " Out of Stock."

I think any holster that would fit a Ruger Blackhawk would be a perfect match for the RS. FWIW

S&S Firearms sent me a copy of their catalog, they list every part for the RS. Nipples 1.50, cylinder w/nipples 80.00 that's understandable looking at the amazing cuts they made around the nipple ports. I'm a machinist by trade and I'm still trying to figure out how they did that!

I ordered mine from S&S after this thread was started and I already have it in my fat little hand! Ha Ha, anyway it's a tough choice between a Walker or a Dragoon and the RS, good thing I have both.:)

Back