Rock island model 200 38 spl.

Had one. Nothing special. Crap finish. Cheap grips. It went bang. Don't think it was rated for +P's but I could be wrong. However, it is inexpensive and works.

According to RIA, they are approved for limited +P usage. I would fire a few +Ps in one to test function and POA, and that's all and of course carry them.

For either an M206 (snub nose version) or M200, I would recommend the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain .38 special +P load as it performs wonderfully from both 2" AND 4" revolver barrels.

I agree with the Speer Gold Dot 135gn +P load...that's what's in my 4" Model 10 right now.
The Winchester PDX 130gn +P is pretty similar in performance, and my Walmart has it often.
Or, go old school with the Remington 158gn SWCHP +P. I don't think you can go wrong with that load for most self defense needs.

If I didn't already have a Model 10 and a Model 15, both of which I paid less than the price of the RIA model 200 during the heyday of cheap S&W 38's, I'd give close look at the RIA if I wanted a 38 shooter.

A 4" 38 is a great tool.

Last edited:
Back