Rock island 45 acp

I just got back from the range and a buddy let me shoot his Tisas 1911 bare bones pistol in .45 acp. Gun shot great and was very accurate. He said he paid $350 + tax. Heck of a nice pistol for the money. I let him shoot my Girsan in 9mm.

Here's a picture of my beautiful RIA 22XTM. Other than the fact it's a royal pain to strip and clean, slide won't lock back on last shot and can't run reliably--a great pistol.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7331.jpg
    IMG_7331.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Here's a picture of my beautiful RIA 22XTM. Other than the fact it's a royal pain to strip and clean, slide won't lock back on last shot and can't run reliably--a great pistol.

attachment.php
I’m curious how the other models in this series work. My thinking is the extra weight of the rail and sight may be too much for .22RF recoil levels to handle.

Too bad it does not work well, but that is not the reason.
The rail and sight don't recoil, the "half slide" moves under the rail.
My Nelson Conversion operates reliably that way but cost more.

I have a Citadel (RIA), anyone notice how poorly the barrel grooves are cut? Mine has crazy chatter marks compared to my (RIP) 97b.

Too bad it does not work well, but that is not the reason.
The rail and sight don't recoil, the "half slide" moves under the rail.
My Nelson Conversion operates reliably that way but cost more.
The biggest issue, besides the goober-fitting of the slide to frame, is that residue accumulation will defeat cycling and ejection, resulting in failures to extract--eject and jamming the next cartridge. My first pistol went back for horrific tooling gouges in the barrel and other parts, this pistol was the second go and it kinda sorta works with an occassional jam for a few magazines before malfunctioning constantly. Rimfire ammo leaves a lot of residue behind which accumulates quickly and IMO is a major contributor to the malfunctioning of the delicate parts. An expensive paperweight as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Back