Rock island 45 acp

Linker

I was wondering if any of you have had a Rock Island 45acp. I watched Hickok45 shoot a couple. The second youtube I watched was of a Rock Island Ultra 45 and he liked it except for the guide rod. Any opinions?

I tend to fit up 1911's without guide rods, I'm on my third longslide, one in 45 and one in 9MM, and currently a 10MM, and the two I fit a standard type spring and plug seem to run very well, the 10 is still a ways away from test firing.

That being said I wondered why some people like guide rods when JMB's original idea works so well, and the few 1911's I have are varying degrees of more tedious to disassemble, some you have to have from a paper clip and the worst ones are a total PIB to disassemble because you have to slide the slide off to free the spring, the rod and the mussel bushing.

Often that seems best done by what I assume are incredibly rare shooters who were born with three hands.

So if you know someone whose 1911 style pistol has a guide rod to talk you through disassembling his, if he or she will let you, but FWIW it seems like complexity and difficulty without satisfying any important purpose for my own use.
There may be reasons for guide rods I know nothing about.

I know some like them that way and if they prefer them who am I to try to talk them out of it, it's their business.
I have found that flat wire springs seem to work better and longer for me.

I have a 22lr RI 1911 and not a fan. It came with major manufacturing defects--I will say they made good on fixing them quickly. Pretty harsh grip panels and stiff working the action IMO. My personal bias would be find a few hundred dollars more and get a Colt or Ruger. I'm not a pistol guy in general, though, so other's likely feel differently. The RI does shoot well, I just don't like their execution.

What didn't he like about the guide rod? Was it a standard 1911 guide rod or a full-length guide rod?

Rock Island (Armscor) makes good, solid pistols and they have excellent customer service. 1911 guide rods are easy to replace and not expensive. I have a drawer full of full-length guide rods I've removed from pistols I've bought over the years. It's a one-minute swap -- two minutes if you're slow.

Well, just keep in mind that RIA 1911's serve as the bones for A LOT of builds. I personally prefer a full length guide rod but not for stability as much as keeping the spring in near pristine condition. Yeah, I'm nuts.

Linker said:
I was wondering if any of you have had a Rock Island 45acp. I watched Hickok45 shoot a couple. The second youtube I watched was of a Rock Island Ultra 45 and he liked it except for the guide rod. Any opinions?
RIA offers more than one Ultra model. Are you looking at the TAC Ultra or the Pro Ultra?

Eirher way, I believe the Ultras all come with a full-length guide rod. If you want all the other bells and whistles the Ultra models offer, as I posted above it's an easy and inexpensive fix to just remove the full-length guide rod and open recoil spring plug and replace them with standard 1911 parts.

I have a fair number of 1911 pistols. suffice it to say that you will NOT b disappointed with a Rock Island pistol.

I’ve got a RIA commander, gifted by my father in law.

Did need some tweaking and slight filing of the extractor to work reliably. Had already made a trip back to Rock Island when the FIL owned it, for failure to eject. They “fixed it” and returned it, doing the same thing. He got tired of it and gave it to me. I tried some 8 round Wilson mags from one of my other 1911’s, and got it down to 2-3 FTE per mag. Tweaked (had almost no tension on the rim) and filed (had to work on the hook contour), the extractor, and improved its function to only one(ish) FTE per magazine. Swapped the factory mags for some 7 round Wilson 47’s and it’s been 100% reliable since.

Was a little disappointing having issues with it right out of the box, and being sent back and “repaired” and returned to my FIL still having issues, but it’s a pretty decent pistol. I’d buy another, and am actually looking around for one in .38 Super.

I've had this RIA for 10 years....until a buddy begged me with the right price to sell it to him. I really liked this gun and as you can see it shoots very accurately. I put approximately 400 rounds through it with only a few handload hiccups, due to my fault.

IMG_0082.jpg

I've had a Rock Island A1 FS tactical for 11 years. I've had no problems with it. I got rid of the factory mag and grips first thing. It's a keeper.

I've never had or shot an RIA. That said, the ones I've handled have felt pretty good in the "fit and finishing for the price" department. If I were in the market for a shooter (I'm a terrible "collector"), and found an RIA at a good price, I'd grab it in a minute.

10mm

I bought a RIA 1911a1 in 10mm about 6 months ago. Not quite GI as it has a bull barrel with no bushing and the full length guide rod. Round count is around 500, with no failures using Metalform mags and my reloads. More than pleased......and at the time of purchase, was cheaper then their .45acp pistol.

I forgot to address half your question Linker, I also have an RIA in .45 ACP and had another one I gave my brother. I gave it to him because he asked what kind of 1911 he could buy for home defense that didn't need much money, and I trusted it with my life so I felt safe giving it to him.

The newest one I got to replace it a couple years ago.

Now, for the record I have 7 or 8 other 1911 type pistols, none nearly as inexpensive as the RIAs, and also none more reliable. I love them all, some for the fine fit and finish of the much higher priced guns, but Lord willing I'll always have an RIA as long as evil people roam the streets.

I have a Rock Island Rock Standard CS (i.e. an Officer sized, steel, "standard" but not GI style 1911). It is reliable, accurate, and fun. It is reasonably well made (you can't expect $1000+ 1911 workmanship out of a gun in this price range, but it isn't bad at all).

Before this, I had a Charles Daly 1911 (also made by Armscorp for a US distributor). They didn't have the same reputation as the RI (which is owned by Armscorp, not just made by them), but mine was a very reliable (if not quite 100% reliable) gun that I traded on something else after about 10K rounds. I wish I still had it.

I like mine. They make good guns. In appearance and workmanship, they are a bit ahead of Taurus and a bit behind Ruger IMO. If you expect Springfield or Kimber aesthetics you will be disappointed, but at the price you shouldn't expect that. As for performance, I doubt Kimber or Springfield will be any better.

chaim said:
Before this, I had a Charles Daly 1911 (also made by Armscorp for a US distributor). They didn't have the same reputation as the RI (which is owned by Armscorp, not just made by them), but mine was a very reliable (if not quite 100% reliable) gun that I traded on something else after about 10K rounds. I wish I still had it.
Minor technical correction: The company to which you are referring is ARMSCOR (Arms Corporation of the Philippines), not Armscorp. I think there is (or was) a company called Armscorp, but that's not who makes Rock Island brand firearms.

I have one of their Tac Ultras in 10mm. Mine is great. Tight fit, smooth action, reliable, accurate. A total pain to field strip (paper clip) but, otherwise, no complaints.

Back