Road rage strikes again

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Just when you think people can't get any more stupid...

1 killed, 1 injured in roadway shootout

Drivers pull guns after accident

By Debra Franco/The Gazette
Story editor Valerie Wigglesworth; headline by Barry Noreen

A minor fender bender Thursday night turned into a homicide as two Colorado Springs men involved in the crash pulled their pickup trucks off the road and got out of their vehicles with handguns drawn.

One opened fire; the other fired back.

A man in his 30s was airlifted to Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead of a single gunshot wound shortly after his arrival. The other victim, a 37-year-old man, was in serious and stable condition undergoing surgery at Penrose Hospital. He also suffered a single gunshot wound.

The men's identities were being withheld until family members could be notified.

Law enforcement officials worked late into the night Thursday gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses to determine what happened.

"It's still early in the investigation," said El Paso County Sheriff's Lt. Ken Hilte. "Right now we don't know if we have a vehicular assault or a simple traffic crash that turned into a homicide."

The investigation was further complicated by the expanse of the crime scene: The crash occurred within the city limits while the shooting was in the county. Colorado
Springs police were investigating the crash at Powers Boulevard just south of Stetson Hills Boulevard while sheriff's deputies were handling the homicide on Dublin Boulevard just off Powers Boulevard.

The agencies have different radio frequencies and had difficulty communicating.

Hilte said the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. on Powers Boulevard between a red Dodge Dakota pickup and a blue Ford pickup. The drivers continued north at a high rate of speed and turned east onto Dublin Boulevard.

They pulled off to the side of the road, the red pickup in front with the blue pickup only a few feet behind it, witnesses said. Both drivers got out of their vehicles wielding guns and started shooting.

State law permits carrying a loaded weapon in a vehicle while traveling, but the law is vague on whether the circumstances in this case required the men to have concealed weapons permits. That issue was still under investigation late Thursday.

Powers Boulevard was shut down to traffic between Stetson Hills and Dublin boulevards while the eastbound lane of Dublin was also closed to motorists for about a mile. Half a dozen orange cones dotted the roadway and a nearby field to mark shell casings from the shooting. Deputies combed the area with flashlights searching for evidence.

Damage to the vehicles appeared minor. The red pickup had its front bumper hanging off at an angle and a cracked headlight while the blue pickup had a small dent in the rear quarter panel on the passenger's side and a cracked tail light.

It was the 16th homicide in El Paso County this year, the third such case for the sheriff's department. The cause of the crash and what triggered the shooting was still
under investigation.

What a couple of a$$holes!

If a $250 deductible means more to you than human life, you are an oxygen thief.

------------------
Beginner barbarians probably had the idea that every house they broke into would be full of untouched loot and frightened, unarmed victims. It just doesn't work that way, my friend.

No doubt, DD.

Based on the initial report, I'd guess that one of the drivers did something foolish, and the other took offense and chased him. Powers Blvd normally sees traffic moving at 65+, so if they got attention, they must've been really hauling.

I suspect the chaser intended to cause havoc, and the chasee expected trouble based on the other's actions, which could explain why they both came out shooting. Stetson is only a few miles south of Dublin, so the whole thing was over in literally minutes.

Just goes to prove, you can't outlaw stupidity.

Likely one of them acted in defense and the other's the idiot. Could be they both are (were). I'm guessing the guy who lives will get his side of the story across to investigators a little better. He better hope there's a lawyer at his bedside telling him to shut his trap when he wakes up - whether he's the guilty party or not.

Just a guess, but IMHO, if both expire, the gene pool could be improved.

It takes two to tango. GLV

I sounds to me like they both came out with guns drwan at about the same time. Doesn't seem like either party was entirely innocent.

Here in TX, shortly after we got CCW, we had our first instance of a CHL holder being involved in a shooting. Yup, it was a traffic dispute, and the media ate it up! "See, SEE! They're shooting each other over fender benders!" But, once the facts came out, it wasn't that at all. What happened was that the CHL holder got rear-ended. The at-fault party (a BIG man, BTW) hops out of his car, runs up to the guy he hit (the CHL holder) and reaches into the window and begins to beat the tar out of the CHL holder! As he was being mercilessly beaten, the CHL holder drew his weapon and shot the attacker. The grand jury declined to indict.

Just goes to show, you gotta have the facts straight before you go spoutin' off- which is something our media can hardly be bothered with these days.

------------------
"Fear is the path to the Dark Side...
Fear leads to gun laws, gun laws lead to disarmament, disarmament... leads to Tyranny!"

-------------------------

"If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP!"

UPDATE:

Road rage not to blame

Shootout victim drunk, autopsy finds

A hit-and-run "gone terribly wrong" was how sheriff's officials described a fender-bender between two pickup truck drivers that ended in a shootout Thursday night in northeast El Paso County.

One man was killed. The other remained at Penrose Hospital on Friday with a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

"It would be incorrect to identify this as a case of road rage," El Paso County Sheriff's Office spokesman Lt. Ken Hilte said.

That's partly because the driver who was killed had a blood-alcohol level of .34, more than three times the legal limit for drivers in Colorado, according to autopsy reports.

It's also because the other driver, 37-year-old Christopher Bispo of Colorado Springs, was simply trying to identify the vehicle for police.

"Bispo pursued with the sole intent of getting the license-plate number and told his passenger to call 911," Hilte said.

Investigators also found alcohol inside the dead man's truck. His name has not been released because sheriff's officials are having difficulty locating his family.

Hilte said detectives were looking into whether the fatal shooting was in self-defense, and no charges are being considered against Bispo at this time.

Bispo and his family declined to comment Friday.

The shooting stemmed from a crash that occurred about 7:30 p.m. Thursday on Powers Boulevard just south of Stetson Hills Boulevard. The man in the red Dodge Dakota was "driving erratically" when he bumped Bispo's blue Ford pickup, Hilte said.

The Dakota driver then wheeled around Bispo's Ford and sped north on Powers Boulevard, Hilte said. Bispo, a civilian employee at Fort Carson, followed as the driver turned east onto Dublin Boulevard and parked on the shoulder.

"He pulled over about a car length back, and it just went bad from there," Hilte said.

Both men got out of their vehicles wielding handguns. Words were exchanged. Shots were fired. Blood was spilled.

Bispo's girlfriend was still on the phone with 911 dispatchers when the shooting started, Hilte said.

"There are no clear accounts of who shot first," Hilte said.

On-scene investigators found about a dozen shell casings - two from the Dakota driver's revolver, the rest from Bispo's 9 mm semiautomatic pistol.

While enlisted in the Army, Bispo qualified as a sharpshooter with an M-16 rifle, according to military records.

The Dakota driver died of a gunshot wound to the chest shortly after the shooting. Neither driver was licensed to carry a concealed weapon, but state law is unclear about carrying loaded guns in vehicles, 4th Judicial District Attorney Jeanne Smith said.

The law states motorists may carry loaded guns "while traveling," but traveling is not defined. "That is open to much interpretation," Smith said.
-----------------------------------
Looks like we can all breathe a bit easier after this one...

I can see trying to get the license number of a hit and run vehicle, but confronting the driver is another thing.

Anyone who chases a fleeing vehicle down, stops behind the vehicle, then leaps out with a pistol in his hand, deserves what he gets. Legalities not withstanding, that type of behavior is just plain stoopid.

This whole thing reminds me of two spoiled little kids on the playground, "But teacher, he hit me first...".

I guess that "civilians" shoot 'em a lot of times too.
Maybe Ive been too hasty to criticize officers?

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Sounds like the red pickup rearend the blue one, blue persued to get license number, called 911, when red pickup pulls over blue pulls over to exchange info. When driver in red truck bails out with pistol, blue grabs his and responds. This is what it sounds like went down. We have a joke here in Texas about red pickups and their drivers. They are the most 'aggressive' drivers on the road.

Jedi-
The shooting in Dallas happened after a car and truck brushed side by side and the guy in the car had his mirror knocked off. The BIG guy in the truck was from Somoa (sp?) and in the short time he had been in the U.S. already had a criminal record. He was living in Seattle. Seemed to be unaware that punching people is not socially acceptable behaviour in Texas.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>On-scene investigators found about a dozen shell casings - two from the Dakota driver's revolver,[/quote]

how does a revolver leave casings after 2 shots and a downed operator?

?

dZ

Jeff--I drive a red pick-em-up, and I don't drive that aggressively! I simply drive on the sidewalks to avoid all of the joggers running in the street. :) Besides, with all the rock haulers we have around here, you can't possibly go over 50mph on a 2-lane black-top!

dZ--I was wondering the same thing....I didn't know that revolvers ejected casings after firing. Must be one of them smart guns! :D

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The law states motorists may carry loaded guns "while traveling," but traveling is not defined. "That is open to much interpretation,"[/quote]

How 'bout this, "If you get in your car and drive somewhere, you're travelling."

Duh (shaking my head and sighing)

-boing

I carry mine on the front seat; cops have never bothered me about it except to ask me to unload it and give it to them while they call me in... not that I get pulled over much or anything :)

------------------
You can't get something for nothing,
You can't have freedom for free.
--Neil Peart

If he was dribbling the basketball the whole time, he wasn't traveling! ;)

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Boing; That could be one of those selectively enforced laws. You know:"Yes, you can have a gun while traveling, but both of these drivers had stopped".

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Don't forget the guy in Tx was seatbelted in, couldn't escape or defend himself and only fired one shot.It was a textbook case of self defense.

Final update.

No charges will be filed in shooting after crash

Traffic altercation led to man's death

By Bill McKeown / The Gazette
Story editor Cliff Foster; headline by Andy Obermueller

A Colorado Springs man wounded in a roadside exchange of gunfire won’t be charged in the death of a drunken motorist who attacked him, the 4th Judicial District Attorney’s Office said Wednesday.

Assistant District Attorney Dan May said Christopher Bispo, 37, acted in self-defense when he shot John Harrell with a 9 mm handgun at 7:30 p.m. July 1 at Dublin and Powers boulevards.

May said much of the altercation between Harrell and Bispo was seen by eyewitnesses or captured on a 911 dispatch tape.

That evidence, he said, indicated Bispo acted reasonably throughout the incident.

Bispo’s girlfriend used a cellular phone to report that a suspected drunken driver had bumped Bispo’s truck on Powers Boulevard. The couple was following him to get his license plate number. She stayed on the phone with dispatchers through the incident.

An investigation by the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office detailed what happened next:

About a mile from where the fender bender occurred, Harrell pulled over and stopped.

Bispo pulled behind him, intending to wait for police to arrive. Harrell, though, quickly got out of his car carrying a .38-caliber revolver and started toward Bispo’s car.

Bispo retrieved his handgun from the back seat of his truck and yelled several times to the visibly intoxicated Harrell to stay in his car and wait for police to arrive.

Instead, Harrell, a Westminster resident, raised his gun and aimed it at Bispo, a civilian employee of Fort Carson.

While retreating to the rear of his truck, Bispo was shot once in the stomach by Harrell.

Bispo, who was a qualified sharpshooter with an M-16 rifle while he was in the Army, returned fire, striking Harrell in the heart. The gunplay took just seconds, investigators determined.

Bispo was hospitalized for more than a week at Penrose Hospital. He has been released.

May said under Colorado law, deadly force is justified when people believe they are in imminent danger of being killed or severely injured and when they believe a lesser degree of force is inadequate to deter the threat.

Bispo, May said, certainly had reason to believe he could be killed — and in fact did suffer a serious injury.

It was clear after the investigation, May said, that a lesser degree of force would not have repelled Harrell.

May said Bispo would not be charged with a weapons violation.

There was insufficient evidence that Bispo was carrying the weapon concealed, and Colorado law allows people to carry a firearm in a vehicle as long as it is not hidden, he said.

May said investigators could not determine why Harrell reacted so violently — except that he had a blood-alcohol level of .34, more than three times the legal limit
for drivers in Colorado. May said he could not comment on whether Harrell had a criminal record.
-----------------
Another point for the good guys!

------------------
You can't get something for nothing,
You can't have freedom for free.
--Neil Peart

Back