ROA question

kwhi43@kc.rr.com said:
Yes, they work just fine. Some of the guys at Friendship use them in their revolvers.

I have never heard of anyone doing this. Are they seating patched roundballs in the cylinder or are they muzzle loading them in the barrel like some black powder cartridge shooters have done in the past for maximum accuracy, essentially using the cylinder as a powder chamber.

Never thought about using the cylinder as a powder chamber, pretty neat idea. Usually I patch the ball with some thin precut cotton material (like my kids old fruit of the loom) in the cylinder itself.

Great use of the chones and don't have to worry about buying anything:D

I use cast .454's in all my ROA's with good results. (11 in all) I also use cast .451's in all my .44's with good results. A bit easier on the loading lever and I don't see a whit of difference in accuracy.

If something works for you great. I don't consider much of this as being "great advice". I value my black powder pistols too greatly to attempt this type of thing.

All the best and burn powder!

Birch

I've used .454 in mine as a test, but normally I stick with .457 for my ROAs, my wad under the ball is cream of wheat, and no grease over the ball. Has worked great for years. I use .454 of course in all the other .44 replicas that I have.

Never heard of a patch around the ball, except for rifles and single shot pistols.

Back