ROA question

It may work, you can always just load one chamber and see how it shoots. I have never tried it myself with round balls but I have used .454 TC Maxi-balls in mine and they shoot just fine, no problem with recoil pulling the bullets of the unfired chambers.
If it shaves a ring of lead as you seat the ball, it'll be ok. If it doesn't shave a ring of lead but you still have to force it in with the rammer, it may still shoot ok.

The chambers run .453-.454". So it's iffy but doesn't seem like it would have much friction to hold it in under recoil. Maybe try one chamber as was mentioned but also keep charges to 30 grns or less to keep recoil lighter.

Two bad things can happen with an undersized ball.
1. The ball becoming unseated by recoil.
2. A chain fire cause by flash over past the loose ball.

Loading only a single chamber eliminates both of these bad things.

If you have only slightly undersize balls. I have cheated and slightly flattened them making them fatter then carefully loading them. Wouldn't sight it in with these loads but at least you get to shoot and use up the under sized balls.

The size that is marked on a mould is what they are supposed to be, but that
can vary by .005 one way or the other. So a mould marked .454 can mould a
ball from .449-.459 in size. Always best to measure.

I cant see that as being very accurate. Seems to me it would lose the patch at the forcing cone.

With the lands being about .452" I'd think it would be OK. However I think Hawg is right in that I think the patch will cause issues at the forcing cone. That's not how a cap n ball operates and I'd be very reluctant to try something like that.

patches

I've used patches in my ROA for a few years now, got a bunch of .454 balls I needed to use up. They work for my shooting ranges, 10-30 yards, killing steel. Always see them blow out the front.

Back