roa capper

dr1445

New to bp revolvers here. I picked up 2 ruger oa's last week, one is a shooter, the other is a parts gun that had a 1/4” hole drilled trough the frame and barrel on the left side. The hole has been repaired with 2 threaded plugs, the first plug matches the rifling land and the second holds the first in place. I do not plan on shooting that one.
I got the shooter up and running but I find my fumble fingers have a hard time putting the caps on the nipples, so I drilled a hole in the end of wooden dowel to hold the cap, which works ok. Still, I do my shooting during the winter and a capper would be great to have with frozen fingers. I am looking at the cabelas in line capper but understand that some revolvers are fussy about which cappers work. Anyone have experience with the cabelas capper and the roa? thanks

For a revolver?
Are you sure.

I shoot a repro Remington 1858, they're pretty notorious for tight spaces round the nipples.
For me the best answer has been the traditions in line. Why that exact one? well because it has an "L" shaped brass extrusion & a single spring holding the cap in place. Its so much easier than the "U" section 2-spring types & the use is easy & fast, just push the cap onto the nipple firmly & pull away to the side.

th

Which one? there are 2 lengths, one holds 11 caps (the range model) & the other holds 17.
Both work, but you get more shewting with the longer one.:D

it a1203 & holds 15 #11 caps, i checked the tradtions website and the longer unit said musket caps.

Last edited:
People fight the Remington cylinder and all sorts of efforts with inline cappers when the Dremel modification is easy, quick, idiot proof, virtually invisible and effective and allows the use of any of the unmodified snail cappers.

Its actually even easier to mod the traditions capper I suggested if you feel the urge. Just knock a bit of metal off the square section at the end to make it slightly tapered.

it a1203 & holds 15 #11 caps, i checked the tradtions website and the longer unit said musket caps.

You're GTG, they used to make an 11 shot one called the "range capper" IIRC. I have one of each I use the 17 shot for the 1858 & the 11 shot for the Hawken single shot muzzle loading rifle as I don't need 17 fast shots from a rifle (at least I hope not!). I use different caps on the 2 guns & its easy to keep them segregated that way.

They are handy

When working with the #10's and 11's, it's so much easier to have a capper. That being said, there are many tools used, today that were present back in the 1800's and vise/versa. ..... ;)

Now, I too recommend the Ted-Cash however, the older ones are better. I only own one Ted-Cash and it works fine. I also use the newer TC snail type.

Be Safe !!!

robhof

I also use the Ted Cash snail capper and find it works fine with my ROA's, but not for my 1849 pocket clone or my 1860 clone, still have to hand cap them.:mad::(

"Its actually even easier to mod the traditions capper I suggested if you feel the urge. Just knock a bit of metal off the square section at the end to make it slightly tapered."

yes, i had to take a some off the square nose to get it to work with the roa. just a quick touch on the 1" belt sander and done.

regarding the ted cash capper, here is what dixie had to say for the na3907 brass revolver capper.
"WILL NOT FIT REMINGTON REVOLVERS because of the high, rounded shoulders on the nipple recesses."
maybe there is another model that works?

Again, I say. The modification to the Remington cylinder is a 5 minute project after which any snail capper will work.
Advantage of the snail capper. 100 cap capacity.

I am still a rank amateur at this bp revolver stuff, but is the nipple pocket designed to help keep the spent cap from flailing around and jamming things up? If so, would not opening up the pocket lead to more frequent jams?

Its mostly a "blast shield" to keep the spent gas from the firing getting into tn adjacent unfired chamber & having a multiple discharge called a chain fire. As for whether to modify the $10.00 capper or the $300 revolver I suggest going with the old "modify the cheapest, easiest to replace part first". school of thought.

The ebay source has dried up for now, but cabela's has them under their brand name, so if I need more they are a short drive away. As stated, I mostly shot in the winter and have no requirement for 100 capacity, 15 or 30 should be fine for my situation. Thanks for the insights.

Back