Risks of Using Old Ammo

It is obvious that no one here can factually say when ammunition is unsafe to shoot. During the current .22 lr insanity I began shooting ammo from cans that have not been opened in 30-40 years, had a few misfires but new ammo will give that. Also shot a coffee can full of 1913 Frankfort Arsenal .45 auto (that's 100 years ago folks) with only one FTF. Posters have previously noted ammo should be correctly stored and as a result will have an exceptional shelf life.

Curious and Respectful

So I now have a couple of my mother's guns ( she was born in 1922 and probably used them during the 40's). She has died and I have the guns and some unopened boxes of the 32 S&W. Curious about wanting to fire her guns but also wanted to preserve those "collectibles." I'll probably shoot a little but either way they are and will be fond memories. :D

Sigop said:
So I now have a couple of my mother's guns... I have the guns and some unopened boxes of the 32 S&W. Curious about wanting to fire her guns but also wanted to preserve those "collectibles."
damionkeller said:
I took the old 32 that was handed down to me to a local gun shop to be inspected, cleaned and test fired. Suggest you do the same.
+1, and be aware that many vintage .32 revolvers were not very safe to fire when they were new. This is particularly true of top-break revolvers- i.e. revolvers with a latch at the back and a hinge under the barrel allowing the cylinder to be loaded from the rear.

Even if you're confident that a particular gun has only been fired a handful of times, don't be surprised by broken parts, or a gunsmith's earnest advice to hang it up on the wall and forget about firing it even though it's technically functional. Many of these guns simply aren't well-built, safe, or durable.

Back