Rimless Bottleneck Case Resizing Dies

When you run a case into a FL sizing die, the taper in the body profile is generally narrower than the as-fired case, so at some point in the process of pushing the case neck into the neck portion of the die the sides will start to make contact and squeeze the brass narrower. This makes the head-to-shoulder distance longer before it starts setting the shoulder back again.

attachment.php

Unclenick,

I've yet to see a full length sizing die completely iron out the pressure ring.

Such dies would have to have inside diameters smaller there than new cases.

What am I not understanding?

Full length, the last I've heard, Bart...can't supply where I heard it but it was attributed to the bench rest bunch...Best Regards, Rod

Full length, the last I've heard, Bart...can't supply where I heard it but it was attributed to the bench rest bunch...But it's a moot point for me personally: at 75, I can't hold that hard to see the difference anymore....good luck to you young-bloods. Rod

Just curious.......

What do you think is the best resizing die for accuracy; neck only or full length?
Given the wide variation in rifles, chambers, calibers, dies and an individual's purpose in reloading; can you explain how anyone could state which die is better? just curious

zeke said:
Given the wide variation in rifles, chambers, calibers, dies and an individual's purpose in reloading; can you explain how anyone could state which die is better? just curious

Yes, the one that fits your chamber best. Ever since I started playing with Sherman Wildcats, I now know what minimal sizing is. After firing, a light sizing puts it back into chamber shape. Good stuff!

Anyone think the same lot of loaded new cases could shoot inside 3 or 4 inches at 600 yards across several rifles with different chambers?

Back