Rimless ammo issues in revolvers (originally .32 ACP in .327 Rugers thread)

Just to put a few facts out there. I don't shoot .327 mag, but I do shoot all the other 32's. The base diameters of 32 ACP and 32 S&W Long are identical - 0.337 in. The auto tapers a bit to 0.3365 at the neck, while the S&W is straight walled. Both shoot 0.311 to 0.312 bullets. Spec pressures are a little different (these are CIP): 32 S&W Long 1,000 bar (14,504 psi) vs. 32 ACP 1,600 bar (23,206 psi).

If you are shooting the auto rounds out of a revolver designed for 32 H&R (CIP 1,620 bar), you're fine with regard to pressure. If you are shooting it in one designed specifically for S&W Long, like the Colt Police Positive or the S&W Regulation Police, 32 ACP is way over pressure.

Check out number 4.

Here we go; this was easy to find online:
Ten commandments
of shooting safety
1. Control the direction of the firearms muzzle. Carry your firearm safely,
and keep the safety on until ready to shoot.
2. Identify your target and what is beyond. Know the identifying features
of the game you hunt.
3. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
4. Be sure the barrel and action are clear of any obstructions, and that you
have only the correct size and type of ammunition for the firearm.
5. Unload all firearms when not in use. Leave the actions open. Carry all
firearms in cases to and from the shooting area.
6. Never point a firearm at anything you do not want to shoot. Avoid
horseplay with firearms.
7. Never climb a fence or a tree, or jump a ditch with a loaded firearm.
Never pull a firearm toward you by the muzzle.
8. Never shoot at a flat, hard surface, or at water. During practice ensure
your backstop is adequate.
9. Store firearms and ammunition separately, and beyond the reach of
children or careless adults. Preferably in a cabinet and with trigger locks.
10. Avoid alcoholic beverages or other mood altering drugs before or while
shooting.

But somehow, we think we know better and just insist on doing it wrong even when we know it's wrong..... What the Heck is the matter with us?:rolleyes:

A man I know has an old 38 S&W (not special but the short .361 bullet load) revolver he couldn't find ammo for. But the guy at the gunstore sold him some 38 Super and it works because it is also semi-rimmed. And he shoots the stuff without harm to that old gun.

The max SAAMI pressure limit of the 38 S&W is 14,500 psi.

The max SAAMI pressure limit of the 38 Super is 36,500 psi.

Best advice I can give is to tell him ASAP to STOP!

I haven't seen the guy in 25 years and have no idea if he is shooting the 38S&W or if he even still has the gun. But the rounds are so undersized I doubt there is any harm in shooting the 38 Supers. So for me its not an issue. And 38 Super has been loaded down so its not much hotter now than 38acp.

4. Be sure the barrel and action are clear of any obstructions, and that you have only the correct size and type of ammunition for the firearm

Pathfinder I think I have accused you of using logic before. You better stop it or someone is going to come along and accuse you of being intelligent.:eek:

ratshooter said:
A man I know has an old 38 S&W (not special but the short .361 bullet load) revolver he couldn't find ammo for. But the guy at the gunstore sold him some 38 Super and it works because it is also semi-rimmed. And he shoots the stuff without harm to that old gun.
The max SAAMI pressure limit of the 38 S&W is 14,500 psi.

The max SAAMI pressure limit of the 38 Super is 36,500 psi.

Best advice I can give is to tell him ASAP to STOP!
Yeah, that sounds like old school gun store people either lying to make a sale because he doesn't want to spend money keeping .38 S&W on the shelf or just giving out unsafe advice. For all we know, that salesman may have seen someone using handloaded .38 Super to low pressures that would be safe in a .38 S&W revolver and thinking, "Oh, any .38 Super can be shot in a .38 S&W."

Word of advice to all: take anything you hear from behind the counter with a few grains of salt.

I've owned five 32 H&R magnum revolvers and one 327 magnum.

Two wouldn't ignite 32acp at all.

Two would ignite it sometimes.

Two shot it just fine.

I was stuck with a few boxes of WWB 32acp that my (European) semiauto pistols didn't like at all. I used it all up in my Single Six 32 H&R. The long sight radius helped with the accuracy, which was decent.

For all we know, that salesman may have seen someone using handloaded .38 Super to low pressures that would be safe in a .38 S&W revolver and thinking, "Oh, any .38 Super can be shot in a .38 S&W."

I have read that 38 Super has been cut in power somewhat because the Super round will also chamber in the weaker 38acp guns. But I am just quoting what I have read and don't own a gun in either chambering. But 38 Super loads can't be reduced a great deal or they won't cycle the guns designed for them. So its still probably some pretty hot stuff.

And I could be wrong (gasp!). Remember this was nearly 3 decades ago and the ammo may have been 38acp and not 38 Super. But my memory keeps saying 38 Super. So who knows?

"Old" 38 Auto was 130 gr bullet at 1190-1200 fps. Circa 1929.

"New" 38 Auto is 130 gr bullet at 1035 fps. Current SAAMI specs.

"Old" 38 Super was 130 gr bullet at 1300 fps. Circa 1933.

"New" 38 Super is 130 gr bullet at 1200 fps. Current SAAMI specs. But most manufacturers list it as 1215 fps.

I have read that 38 Super has been cut in power somewhat because the Super round will also chamber in the weaker 38acp guns. But I am just quoting what I have read and don't own a gun in either chambering. But 38 Super loads can't be reduced a great deal or they won't cycle the guns designed for them. So its still probably some pretty hot stuff.

And I could be wrong (gasp!). Remember this was nearly 3 decades ago and the ammo may have been 38acp and not 38 Super. But my memory keeps saying 38 Super. So who knows?
Could have been .38 ACP, but still, the pressure difference between the two is unsafe to shoot .38 ACP at 26,500 PSI in .38 S&W, which has a max SAAMI spec of 14,500 PSI.

Again, maybe extra weak handloads could do it safely, but if one is handloading, why not use the right case in .38 S&W?

Back to .32 ACP in a .32 S&W Long, it's not something I recommend unless it's life or death situation. I don't think it's worth risking shooting a more common, higher pressure cartridge out of a lower pressure chambered gun unless it's known for being exceptionally rugged like .45 Colt Blackhawks and Redhawks.

Back