Rimless ammo issues in revolvers (originally .32 ACP in .327 Rugers thread)

TruthTellers

Shot my SP101 today using .32 ACP and .327 100 gr American Eagle. The .32 ACP is not even .22 level recoil, it's like a pellet gun, but I had an issue with Winchester .32 ACP when I shot it. On the second round, the firing pin got stuck in the primer and prevented the cylinder from rotating or being opened. I got it out after prying the case off the recoil shield, but that took a few minutes worth of trying.

Idk if maybe there was a burr on the pin, it's a brand new revolver so it's possible, or if there's something wrong with Winchesters primers being soft. The rim thickness on the .32 ACP isn't as much as .32 Long/H&R Mag/.327 is, so there's enough movement that can happen under recoil that the primer impales itself on the firing pin and I think that's what happened, but the funny thing is I shot PPU .32 ACP as well and had no issues and have shot .32 ACP in a Heritage .32 Mag revolver again with no issues either.

Just wanted to pass this along.

EDIT: changed title of thread.

Last edited:
I have a charter arms patriot in .327. It ignites .32 acp 99% of the time.

I have a lcr in .327. It ignites .32 acp about 20% of the time.

I have shot .32 acp through my Single Seven without any issues about firing or ejecting. Recoil is negligible and it's fun and cheap to shoot. My problem with it is that accuracy drops significantly. It stops being fun when the bullets don't go where you tell them to go.

BTW, something I forgot to mention is this isn't the first time I've shot a rimless auto cartridge in a revolver and have had the firing pin lockup issue. Once before with my Ruger .45 Colt/ACP Redhawk (funny, another Ruger) it did it with .45 ACP. That time I didn't have to pry the case off the pin, but I'm seeing a pattern.

I mean, if I used either gun loaded with the ACP ammo and a defensive situation came up where I had to shoot more than one round and the revolver basically jams, that's not good and if it's happened to me once in the few times I've fired the ACP ammo in them, then I'm sure this has happened to others as well.

The .327 you can argue that Ruger never states it can fire .32 ACP, but with the Redhawk, they have it lasered on the side ".45 ACP" and comes with moon clips.

Shot my SP101 today using .32 ACP and .327 100 gr American Eagle. The .32 ACP is not even .22 level recoil, it's like a pellet gun,

incorrect. the 32 Auto has about 2.5 times more recoil than a 22lr.

data from Ballistics by the inch, generic winchester 22lr (40 gr bullet at 1043 fps = 0.28 ft lb recoil) and 32 auto (71 gr bullet at 939 fps = 0.70 ft lb recoil), 4 inch barrel for both. calculations for a gun of the same weight (2 lb).

0.70/0.28 = 2.5.

Every time a cartridge fires the primer backs out some from the initial pressure in primer pocket. Once the powder ignited there’s equal pressure pushing the bullet down the bore and the case rearward once this happens the primer reseats in the case.

With normal pressure loads the primer reseats completely and doesn’t jam up the revolver. With low pressure loads the primer doesn’t always reseat completely and can cause issues. Primer only loads will often jam up a revolver because of this.

I’m guessing that shooting .32 ACP in a .327 chamber causes the pressure to drop very quickly given the large amount of free bore the bullet will travel. The case for a .327 is 1.2 long. A .32 ACP case is .68 inches long. That means the bullet will be traveling about half an inch before entering the cylinder throat. Some people worry about the jump a .38 Special goes though in a .357 but this is negligible since its only about .1”. When you increase that jump to .5” it might cause issues.

Reading this I'm groaning that I gave up the .45 acp cylinder when I traded a Ruger New Model Blackhawk years ago. I'd love to have had it fitted to the one I have now. I never had a problem with the .45 acp cylinder. In fact, in was more accurate than the .45 Colt cylinder.

As far as the original post goes, I think of this: The protrusion of the firing pin could be a little on the excessive side of what would be proper and the shape of the firing pin might need a little rounding, deburring, polishing,etc.

But the main thing I think of is that you are using ammo that is incorrect for the gun, i.e., that gun was never intended for 32 ACP. So get your fiddling around done, use the right ammo, and go on with your other plans.

On the other hand, I understand that this could all be an experiment in what one might have to make do with in a world where the correct ammo somehow became unobtainable and you became desperate for any ammo you could get that could possibly work in a pinch. Post Apocalypse, anyone?

Now that you have learned that you really ought to use the right ammo, stock up on that and go on to other, more worthy pursuits.

Since I reload, and reloading is by nature highly experimental, I'm sure I would have tried all the same things you did if I was into the 32 calibers.:)

Well guys & gals,
Having a Patriot and a Single Seven in .327 Fed Mag, I've tried 32 ACP in both. It does feel like a .22 going off and I know it's much more powerful than a .22lr.
It is semi-rimmed and the base of the brass is around 1/3 thinner than the revolver rounds in any other 32 revolver caliber. Brass slams back upon firing and the Patriot's FP punctures the primer, but does not get stuck. Lot's of smoke from the recoil shield area from the pierced primers. The Ruger fairs better and primers look normal. The only thing is, since the round is so short, trying to load longer revolver rounds in the chambers after the ACP's will not go in easy because of the buildup. Needs a good cleaning afterwards.
The ACP's can be used in a pinch. Groupings are all over, but within the zone at 7 yards.

WWB in 32acp is horrible ammo. Many of my 32acp pistols won't shoot it, much less my revolvers. That might be part of the problem.

I recently spoke to Ruger about using the 32 ACP ammo in our 327 in magnum revolvers & was told by 2 different tech. people "DO NOT USE ACP AMMO in your 327". do so at your own peril even though I read online comments that it's okay to use it. We only shoot 32 S&WL ammo, 32 H&R ammo & 327 in magnum ammo. This is a terrific revolver probably one of the best designed by Ruger & they actually agree with this statement & it has one thing that most snubs don't have & that's a really big thing. It is a 6 shot & not a 5 shot snub. Go out & rent it or borrow one but do it & then buy it.
You all know I'm no expert on firearms. I just know when something works & something doesn't. I leave it up to you all to give me the technical info.
Thanks as always.

Last edited:
None of my S&W revolvers will shoot 32acp ammo. The reason is is that I don't see the point of shooting ammo with a .311 bullet through guns that have .314 throats and .313 barrels designed for lead bullet loads. If I want to make noise I'll just buy firecrackers. They are far cheaper. My guns get fed ammo that is designed for them.

I have a couple of Rugers that have more modern diminsions for jacketed bullets but I also have proper 32 ammo for those guns. SO no 32acp in those guns either.

If I want to shoot 32acp I have a nice Walther PP that does very well with that ammo.

None of my S&W revolvers will shoot 32acp ammo. The reason is is that I don't see the point of shooting ammo with a .311 bullet through guns that have .314 throats and .313 barrels designed for lead bullet loads. If I want to make noise I'll just buy firecrackers. They are far cheaper. My guns get fed ammo that is designed for them.

I have a couple of Rugers that have more modern diminsions for jacketed bullets but I also have proper 32 ammo for those guns. SO no 32acp in those guns either.

If I want to shoot 32acp I have a nice Walther PP that does very well with that ammo.
I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong. The .327 is not designed for lead bullets, it's meant for jacketed bullets which is why every factory load except the boutiques (Buffalo Bore, Doubletap, Underwood) is a jacketed bullet.

I didn't go in expecting .32 ACP to shoot well, just to see how well it could shoot, if at all. My single action .32 H&R Mag shoots the ACP very well.

Ah, I didn't think he was referring to .32 Long revolvers. S&W has made H&R Mag and .327 revolvers in the past.

I wouldn't shoot .32 ACP in a S&W Long chambered revolver anyway, the pressures are quite a bit higher with ACP (about the same as H&R Magnum levels) than S&W Long.

I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong. The .327 is not designed for lead bullets, it's meant for jacketed bullets which is why every factory load except the boutiques (Buffalo Bore, Doubletap, Underwood) is a jacketed bullet.

Hi Truth. All my S&W revolvers are 32 longs. I do have a 631 and 431PD in 32 mag but no 327 revolvers. Never saw the need for one. I rarely shoot full power 32 mag loads. Most 32 mag loads I shoot are around the original load designed for use in the original H&R revolvers that started it all. If I need more power than I can get with a full blown 32 mag I just go with a 357 revolver.

I should have made myself more clear on the 32 long guns. Actually when I got my first model 31 in 32 long the only 32 loads I had were 32acp and I was told you could use it. So I did. Once. I couldn't hit a dang thing with it unless I was knife fight close. I just wasted half a box of ammo trying. At the next gunshow I found brass and bullets and borrowed my uncles dies and made some proper 32 long loads. I never saw any reason to ever again shoot ammo made for an auto in my revolvers.

I wouldn't shoot .32 ACP in a S&W Long chambered revolver anyway, the pressures are quite a bit higher with ACP (about the same as H&R Magnum levels) than S&W Long.

The undersized bullet for the chambers and bore is the reason you can shoot 32 acp in a 32 long revolver. They don't get to build full pressure because of the very loose fit. A man I know has an old 38 S&W (not special but the short .361 bullet load) revolver he couldn't find ammo for. But the guy at the gunstore sold him some 38 Super and it works because it is also semi-rimmed. And he shoots the stuff without harm to that old gun.

Last edited:
Back