Rimfire levergun

azmark

I want to replace the Henry H001T that had to leave home. Any suggestions for an inexpensive lever action .22?

After having the octagon barrel, I don't think you'd be satisfied with the round barrel.

Balance is all wrong on the round barrel.

sudo apt-get update

If I wanted a cheap 22 plinker in a lever action the Henry is the only way to go. I much prefer the Winchester 94-22, or Marlin 39, but for a budget gun they shoot and look pretty goood.

Love my Henry 001. I don't think you'll find a lever that's less expensive, more reliable or accurate than the 001.

If I wanted a cheap 22 plinker in a lever action the Henry is the only way to go. I much prefer the Winchester 94-22, or Marlin 39, but for a budget gun they shoot and look pretty goood.

Mills Fleet Farm currently has the H001 on sale for $239. I'm almost tempted to get one just to have a beater .22 around, BUT, I just bought a Winchester 9422 last week :D

I admired the BL-22 I had, but the OP did stipulate lower cost. My Browning cost a lot more than a base model Henry. I liked the action. I was sorry it did not perform as expected and could not shoot the ammo I wanted to use as well as the Henry. I really thought buying the BL-22 would be a step up from the Henry, it it did not turn out to be the case. It is however a sweet little fast action lever rifle. Just failed to deliver in the accuracy I was looking for. I sold it to a small game hunter who did not require the pin-point shot placement I wanted for novelty & fun paper target shooting.

"I just bought a Winchester 9422 last week" ( i havn't posted anything since 08 so i've forgotten how to quote lol)

since when has that ever been a good excuse not to buy another lol.:D
i'd go with the 94/22 fantastic guns.

If you are in an area with a lot of firearm sale options, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for a marlin 39a. I've seen used in great shape go for $350, as well as old beaters for under $300. Having fired all the guns listed above, for accuracy the 39a is the way to go.

cornbush Not inexpensive, but look at the Browning BL-22, I'll never let mine go, great balance, accurate and fast handling

+1

ABL222.jpg

Fast with short throw -

Last edited:
I just bought a Winchester 9422 last week

since when has that ever been a good excuse not to buy another lol.
i'd go with the 94/22 fantastic guns.

no argument there, but my wife is 2 months pregnant right now, so if I were to come home with another gun she'd ring my neck.

but I agree, the 9422 is a beauty. I just took possession of mine today and it's fantastic. the downside, it cost me 3 times as much as a basic Henry, but the upside is that it's an investment that probably won't lose its value. I'd still like to get a Henry just for the sake of it but that'll have to wait another day :eek:

Not inexpensive, but look at the Browning BL-22, I'll never let mine go, great balance, accurate and fast handling

Browning makes a nice gun. my only gripe about the BL22 is that the trigger is attached to the lever. just seems weird to me. but, from a practical standpoint if it doesn't interfere with its performance then it shouldn't be a big deal to most people

The trigger being attached to the lever is a big plus to me, I've never had my finger pinched and bleeding from my bl22, but I have several times from my dads Marlin

Last edited:
The action on the Henry is so smooth I don't know how you could not want to get another one.

The action on the Henry is so smooth I don't know how you could not want to get another one.
I hear that all the time from Henry owners, and one cannot dispute the smoothness of lever operation. I'm just not sure what smoothness gets you, however.

Back